Spain's BBall Team Needs To Leave NOW - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Spain's BBall Team Needs To Leave NOW

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Spain's BBall Team Needs To Leave NOW

Postby thedude » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:16 pm

The crowd, who have been very polite, booed the Spanish team during their game with China.
thedude
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:11 am

For some reason it's almost acceptable in popular circles to make prejudice jokes about Asians. The only more 'acceptable' target of such jokes would be the Jews. I never understood this.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:15 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:For some reason it's almost acceptable in popular circles to make prejudice jokes about Asians. The only more 'acceptable' target of such jokes would be the Jews. I never understood this.

\
me neither. I'm not someone who thinks certain types of things should be totally off limits (discussion for another day), but I think you are dead on as it pertains to this.

Whether there was intent or not, I can't speak to that. But ignorance is no excuse sometimes, its just an explanation.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:16 am

We make jokes about Emo kids, Goths, fat people, short people, redheads, etc, etc, etc. There are all kinds of "acceptable" slurs in society. This is not a cool thing to have done, but in the grand scheme of things it's not that bad. Without further evidence of discriminatory activity by these guys, I'm not going to throw them under the bus quite yet.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:29 am

knapplc wrote:We make jokes about Emo kids, Goths, fat people, short people, redheads, etc, etc, etc. There are all kinds of "acceptable" slurs in society. This is not a cool thing to have done, but in the grand scheme of things it's not that bad. Without further evidence of discriminatory activity by these guys, I'm not going to throw them under the bus quite yet.

In regards to the emo kids, goths, and fat people, that's very different. All three of those are choices. But I see what you're saying. I guess I'm just curious why it seems more acceptable to crack jokes about Asians and Jews, but not Blacks or Mexicans. I think they're equally in bad taste.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:44 am

This was a one-time occurrence as far as I know, and without more than this... eh. I'm willing to forgive and forget. If it happens again, then we have a pattern and it's a problem.

Everyone's told a pollack joke, or a Jew joke, or a joke about the Rabbi, the Priest and the Texan who walk into the bar. No matter the packaging, the result is a "bash" against that particular segment of the world. We've all watched South Park or Monty Python or Saturday Night Live where they use caricature to make fun of this or that group of people. We've all seen comedy routines by this or that comedian where this or that group was lampooned. It happens.

It's OK in small doses, and it depends entirely on the context. And no matter how PC you try to be, somewhere somehow you're going to offend someone in your life.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:29 am

knapplc wrote:This was a one-time occurrence as far as I know, and without more than this... eh. I'm willing to forgive and forget. If it happens again, then we have a pattern and it's a problem.

Everyone's told a pollack joke, or a Jew joke, or a joke about the Rabbi, the Priest and the Texan who walk into the bar. No matter the packaging, the result is a "bash" against that particular segment of the world. We've all watched South Park or Monty Python or Saturday Night Live where they use caricature to make fun of this or that group of people. We've all seen comedy routines by this or that comedian where this or that group was lampooned. It happens.

It's OK in small doses, and it depends entirely on the context. And no matter how PC you try to be, somewhere somehow you're going to offend someone in your life.

sydney and jackson were really not that funny.

and i have no problem with this picture. some of you people need to turn in your penises.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:40 am

Releasing that pic is just stupid. Every player, coach and person associated with that team is stupid. Didn't even one of them ask "guys, is this such a good idea?". The lack of common sense in an elite program competing on an international level is just shocking.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:01 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Releasing that pic is just stupid. Every player, coach and person associated with that team is stupid. Didn't even one of them ask "guys, is this such a good idea?". The lack of common sense in an elite program competing on an international level is just shocking.

I can see how things go like that. Ever watch a terrible commerical and think "wow, think of all the board meetings, finance approval, creative sessions, manager approvals this went through, and everyone thought it was a good idea?" I can see how the echo chamber leads to it. But the damage control (or lack thereof) is terrible and stupid.

And like it or lump it, I think Jason Kidd is right. USA Basketball would have yanked them for something like that, and we would have been ripping them in the press. And that's not even what the greater governing bodies could do.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moochman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:53 pm

According to the Mexican Olympic Committee the picture is misunderstood and was not a slur agaisnt the Chinese. In fact they are set to release footage of the photo shoot where you can clearly hear music in the background that spurred on the teams unfortunate reaction. They were just listening to the Vapors "I'm turing Japanese" and got carried away.

I think that in this country we are a little more repressed when it comes to poking fun at or discussing other ethnicities. I doubt seriously that there was any malice in this and we may not fully understand how that was taken in the affected nations.

Or..I always hated Mexi..Nah. :-b

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk