Moderator: Football Moderators

Qb as flex

Postby theplayer11 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:55 pm

Our league is having a twist this year with the QB as a flex option. we start:
1 QB
2 RB
3WR
1 flex(QB, RB, WR)

Does this essentially make it a 2 QB league..and does this mean I absolutely need to draft a QB in the first 2 rounds?
theplayer11
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Qb as flex

Postby thriftyrocker » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:18 pm

Yeah, you should treat it like a 2 QB league. QBs score the most points and are more dependable than even feature back RBs.

You definitely need to watch runs and try to get 2 guys in the top 15 and at least 3 starters.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby theplayer11 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:19 am

We can also start just 1 RB and 4 WR(or 2RB, 3 WR), plus the flex..PPR league. I'm thinking of drafting mostly WR and QB...good strategy? I have no experience with such drafts, and this has me confused.
theplayer11
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Polar Bear » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:34 am

Wow this is a league where Running Backs have minimal value...

Outside of Brady, Manning and possibly Romo I would probably take a feature back like LT, Jackson or Westbrook, especially since it is also a PPR. Depends on how quick QBs go though. if they start going quickly in the first round and you have pick 8 then I would probably take a RB. if you have pick 5 then I would go QB and pick up a RB in the swing.

I still wouldn't avoid taking a RB because I think people in this league may end up devaluing RBs too much and leave guys like Steven Jackson out there much too long.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby PMoneyTKE » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:50 am

Polar Bear wrote:Wow this is a league where Running Backs have minimal value...

Sounds like your kinda league :-b
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby spodog » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:41 pm

Hard to understand the point of this.

Why would you every put anyone OTHER than a QB in that flex spot? If you wouldn't, then it really isn't a flex spot.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:51 pm

spodog wrote:Hard to understand the point of this.

Why would you every put anyone OTHER than a QB in that flex spot? If you wouldn't, then it really isn't a flex spot.

i suppose if you any a bad series of injuries...
thedude
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:10 pm

In 2 QB leagues, I stand by the rule that you need at least 1 QB through 2 rounds, and 2 QBs through 5 rounds. That way you ensure yourself one solid option, and you don't get locked out of all the Qbs in general.

This doesn't mean go out and only draft QBs in those spots, but I think they should be considered a minimum when dealing with 2 QB leagues. Because if you think about it, there can only be 32 options out there, and chances are only 20 or 25 are going to be solid options. Not everyone in your league is going to have 2 Qbs to start every week, and some unlucky guys in your league won't have a single QB that is worth relying on.

If the value is there, take Qb back to back in round 1/2, but you better end up with like Tom Brady and Drew Brees.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Polar Bear » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:28 pm

PMoneyTKE wrote:
Polar Bear wrote:Wow this is a league where Running Backs have minimal value...

Sounds like your kinda league :-b

you betcha...although I have never actually played in one of these 2 QB leagues.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:47 pm

We run the same setup with 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 QB, 1 FLEX (anything...even a flippin' kicker if you want to). The main reason why RB are so valuable and need to be drafted first is because there are so few good ones and you need to start 2 each week. With a FLEX, the league essentially becomes a 2 QB league, which IMO, makes QB just as valuable. I'd still go LT, AD, S-Jax, Westbrook, Addai with the first few picks, but after that I'm looking to snag Brady, Manning, Brees, Romo, etc...probably go QB/RB or RB/QB with your first two picks, then pick value after that. Nothing is set in stone, but a solid core is at least 2 QB and 2 RB in your first five picks.
BALCO All-Stars
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Football Talk