Qb as flex - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Qb as flex

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Qb as flex

Postby theplayer11 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:17 pm

BALCO All-Stars wrote:We run the same setup with 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 QB, 1 FLEX (anything...even a flippin' kicker if you want to). The main reason why RB are so valuable and need to be drafted first is because there are so few good ones and you need to start 2 each week. With a FLEX, the league essentially becomes a 2 QB league, which IMO, makes QB just as valuable. I'd still go LT, AD, S-Jax, Westbrook, Addai with the first few picks, but after that I'm looking to snag Brady, Manning, Brees, Romo, etc...probably go QB/RB or RB/QB with your first two picks, then pick value after that. Nothing is set in stone, but a solid core is at least 2 QB and 2 RB in your first five picks.

Ok..but how about this twist..we can start only 1 RB and 4WR, along with the 2 QB(1 as flex)..Or the 2RB, 3WR..and it's PPR(1 pt for Wr, .5 for RB)....I'm thinking of loading up on WRs and QBs and going with the 4 wr set...is this the right move?
theplayer11
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dgan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:07 pm

Ok, so really it is:

1 QB
1 RB
1 RB/WR
3 WR
1 Flex (QB/RB/WR)

Is that right? If it is, I hope you have some draft history on your league. I also play in a league where QB can be used as a flex, but what you find is that by the time you get down to the 20th best QB in the league, they are scoring less than even the worst starting RBs. Also, by having additional RBs, you can fill in for injuries at 3 different fantasy positions, rather than just 2 positions the QB can play in. So RBs still have good value (unless it is 6 pts per pass TD or something).

What I've found is that people in these leagues underestimate the value of QB and still draft RB heavy. By taking a QB early, you really leave yourself behind the 8-ball when trying to find starting RBs in the 3rd and 4th round if everyone else is drafting RBs. Sure, you could get a Brady/Romo two headed monster, but if one of those guys gets hurt, you're stuck with someone like Brodie Croyle. Not to mention, if you draft Brady early and find Roethlisberger fall to you in the 4th or 5th round, you'll be kicking yourself.

So I'd be careful and watch the drafting patterns of others closely. If this league has a history, try to find previous drafts and see how the owners valued QBs. Then I would pretty much use an auction value system to draft. There is so much flexibility, you might as well take the 'best player available' method and hope that you end up with a team with good depth and position balance. I wouldn't worry about whether to go 2 RBs or 4 WRs - just use auction values to project who will score more points on a given week and draft him. Worry about your weekly lineup situation after the draft.

It is really unusual, though, so if this is your first year in it, I wouldn't set your expectations too high. It might take some getting used to.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby theplayer11 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:03 pm

dgan wrote:Ok, so really it is:

1 QB
1 RB
1 RB/WR
3 WR
1 Flex (QB/RB/WR)

Is that right? If it is, I hope you have some draft history on your league. I also play in a league where QB can be used as a flex, but what you find is that by the time you get down to the 20th best QB in the league, they are scoring less than even the worst starting RBs. Also, by having additional RBs, you can fill in for injuries at 3 different fantasy positions, rather than just 2 positions the QB can play in. So RBs still have good value (unless it is 6 pts per pass TD or something).

What I've found is that people in these leagues underestimate the value of QB and still draft RB heavy. By taking a QB early, you really leave yourself behind the 8-ball when trying to find starting RBs in the 3rd and 4th round if everyone else is drafting RBs. Sure, you could get a Brady/Romo two headed monster, but if one of those guys gets hurt, you're stuck with someone like Brodie Croyle. Not to mention, if you draft Brady early and find Roethlisberger fall to you in the 4th or 5th round, you'll be kicking yourself.

So I'd be careful and watch the drafting patterns of others closely. If this league has a history, try to find previous drafts and see how the owners valued QBs. Then I would pretty much use an auction value system to draft. There is so much flexibility, you might as well take the 'best player available' method and hope that you end up with a team with good depth and position balance. I wouldn't worry about whether to go 2 RBs or 4 WRs - just use auction values to project who will score more points on a given week and draft him. Worry about your weekly lineup situation after the draft.

It is really unusual, though, so if this is your first year in it, I wouldn't set your expectations too high. It might take some getting used to.

thanks for your advice..this league likes to change things up,,last year there wasn't a QB as flex option..and had a 2RB minimum. Everyone is in the same boat drafting this year. By the way, it is 6 points for all TDs

actually it is:

1 QB
1RB
2 WR/RB
2 WR
1 flex(QB, RB, WR)

My plan is to try to get 2 quality QBs by the 5th round...and best player available in other picks. It's going to be interesting because other drafters could go the RB route or go for the WRs along with Qbs.
theplayer11
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dgan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:40 pm

Yeah, if it is 6pt pass TDs and PPR, QBs and WRs are going to score a lot more points than typical RBs. And since you really only need one solid RB (theoretically), I would hit the QBs and WRs hard and furious. If that's what everyone else does as well, you'll find solid RBs several rounds in - if everyone else goes RB, you should have a leg up on them even if you have to start Michael Turner or someone like that midseason.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk