What is going on in Seattle? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What is going on in Seattle?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What is going on in Seattle?

Postby justinj312 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:05 am

It all seems a bit slippery. I have questions at every position, i.e.:

With Engram going down, is Burleson the #1, or just a bust waiting to happen? Are Ben Obomanu or Courtney Taylor ready to contribute? Is it gonna be a split between jjones and mmorris?

It all seems like a mess. What is a good strategy with these Seahawks?
thx

-justinj312
justinj312
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: What is going on in Seattle?

Postby lebron23 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:59 am

Nate Burleson is the WR1 and Morris/Jones will split carries, but Morris will get goalline carries. Don't expect much from either though, because thats the worst RBBC I have ever seen.
lebron23
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby killiansjmd » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:13 am

Seahawk fans - How has John Carlson the rookie TE looked so far? Do you see his value increasing with the Engram injury?
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:04 pm

I plan on drafting Burleson fairly late in every draft.

I plan on drafting Obomanu in the last round when I have roster space.

Maurice Morris also looks like a very nice late round pickup. Personally, I think Julius Jones wins that job going away, but the coaching staff is showing surprisingly loyalty to MOMO. I never thought he would be more than a career NFL backup, but now it appears he is getting a real shot.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby biju » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:41 pm

killiansjmd wrote:Seahawk fans - How has John Carlson the rookie TE looked so far? Do you see his value increasing with the Engram injury?

He looked good in the one preseason game so far. I've heard varying reports about him in ST and even now during the preseason. I don't think he's going to be the big benefactor in Engram being out though. I think he'll be a decent mid-range TE2 this year.

----

Last night I had written up a huge post for this thread and my browser crashed on me, so I'm going to make my thoughts really short...

Julius Jones and Maurice Morris will split during the first half of the year making Morris a great late round value and possible bye week fill-in in the early weeks. But the word on the street is that the coaching staff will use Morris as an anchor while Jones learns the offense and he will eventually start taking over the bulk of the carries. Whether that happens at the end of this season or the start of next is a question mark, although I'm gambling that he'll start getting the carries around week 9 or so when we'll likely have a stronger suite of WRs available.

For the WRs, I keep seeing Burleson go later than he should. I think he can be a good value as a WR3 this year. Obomanu I've seen drop too many that hit him right in the hands, but maybe he turns it around this year. Courtney Taylor has the praise of the coaching staff, and I've been hearing good reports about Logan Payne's hands. That said, it's important to note that the Seahawks offense and WR routes are extremely complex and the WR reads *must* align with what Hasselbeck is reading too. Obomanu, Taylor and Payne combined have only 17 NFL catches to their credit (Payne with zero), so they have nearly zero experience. If Hasselbeck isn't on the same page as these guys, he's going to throw to the TE or in the flat to the RB, which I foresee a lot of unless someone really steps up. Of course, that ups the value of the RBs in PPR leagues.

If I had to guess: Courtney Taylor steps up and becomes the #2 guy after Burleson until either Engram or Branch come back. But I still wouldn't count on him for anything more than a WR5 until he proves himself in a real game. I recently had the last pick in a Cafe league 16 rounder and passed on him for a kicker, if that says anything. The truth is, even if these guys get a chance it isn't going to be long before one of our injured guys comes back.

I still wouldn't laugh at people who took Obomanu with a late round flier. If Taylor doesn't win the flanker position with Engram and Branch out, he's not going to be roster worthy even in deep leagues.

Wow, it still turned out pretty long. :-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby lebron23 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:32 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I plan on drafting Burleson fairly late in every draft.

Maurice Morris also looks like a very nice late round pickup. Personally, I think Julius Jones wins that job going away, but the coaching staff is showing surprisingly loyalty to MOMO. I never thought he would be more than a career NFL backup, but now it appears he is getting a real shot.

Maurice Morris still isn't very good though, but he's obviously a better option than Jones.
lebron23
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby treat24 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:41 pm

In the vikings/seattle preseason game MoMo was 3 times the back JJ was. JJ was playing against our 2s and 3s. MoMo was not facing our true D, (we had 2 new lineman in not counting allen and were missing 2 dbacks) ... but he looked good against the shell of our D that he faced.

This doesn't really mean much, JJ will start the next preseason game... but that 1st game, JJ looked like a back that would be 4th string at best for my Vikes. MoMo looked like a back who could fight Hicks for 3rd on the Vikes depth chart. :-b
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby TommyZND » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:56 pm

I would be more patient with Julius Jones, hes new to the team. And MoMo can really tear it up against the backups, but his stats from last year make me want to puke.
MY TEAMS:
NCAA- Fighting Irish
NFL- Steelers
MLB- Pirates
NBA- Knicks
TommyZND
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby biju » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:23 pm

treat24 wrote:

In the vikings/seattle preseason game MoMo was 3 times the back JJ was. JJ was playing against our 2s and 3s. MoMo was not facing our true D, (we had 2 new lineman in not counting allen and were missing 2 dbacks) ... but he looked good against the shell of our D that he faced.

This doesn't really mean much, JJ will start the next preseason game... but that 1st game, JJ looked like a back that would be 4th string at best for my Vikes. MoMo looked like a back who could fight Hicks for 3rd on the Vikes depth chart. :-b

I've read a lot about the "shell" of a defense the Vikings had in that game. Wasn't that "shell" only missing two players?

}:-)
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby treat24 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:28 pm

biju wrote:
treat24 wrote:

I've read a lot about the "shell" of a defense the Vikings had in that game. Wasn't that "shell" only missing two players?

}:-)

4 ... and pat williams is a pretty big one to be missing... The defensive line only had Kevin Williams starting the game as a starter from last year. Jared Allen will be starting this year though. I even put in my post 2 lineman and 2 dbacks... :-? :-D
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Next

Return to Football Talk