Owen Daniels... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Owen Daniels...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Owen Daniels...

Postby stomperrob » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:17 pm

...good value for where he usually falls in drafts

Stock is rising for Texans TE Daniels
After an impressive second season with the Texans, the tight end is on the road to increasingly big numbers
By JOHN McCLAIN Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle
Aug. 12, 2008, 9:21PM

In his second season as the Texans’ starting tight end, Owen Daniels almost doubled his number of catches.

Daniels went from 34 receptions as a rookie in 2006 to 63 last season. His yards increased from 350 to 768. But one statistic — touchdowns — went down. He had five as a rookie and only three last season.

“Hopefully, I can help more in the red zone receiving and blocking,” Daniels said after practice Tuesday. “We need to run the ball better in the red zone. If we can, it’ll open up the passing game more and, hopefully, open things for me working the middle of the field.”

Quarterbacks Matt Schaub and Sage Rosenfels like to throw to Daniels. They know how hard he works to get open. They also know he’ll be in the right spot. Both quarterbacks have confidence in him.

Ready to rebound
Daniels’ role could increase for the third consecutive season, but there’s one statistic he’s determined to decrease. He tied for the team lead last season with three lost fumbles.

“Obviously, protecting the ball is a big issue with me, as it is with the whole team,” he said. “When you practice protecting the ball, it’s not the same. You expect it, because you know what’s going on.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/spo ... 39954.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Owen Daniels...

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:06 pm

Daniels already has good value in PPR leagues, and if he can score some more touchdowns, he could be a top five tight end in all formats.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Azrael » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:50 pm

The thing that concerns me about Daniels is his production seemed to be in conjunction with AJ being hurt. Even then he didn't score TDs.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby dgan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:55 pm

TEs get open in play-action (Gates/LT, Gonzalez/LJ, Witten/Barber, Shockey/Barber and Jacobs). All those great TEs are on excellent running teams. Clark and Winslow are a little different, but even they have good running games.

Until Houston figures out how to get a consistent running game, especially in the red zone as Daniels eluded to, he won't be a good option. I don't see that happening this year - I drafted him last year with the same expectations you guys are talking about and he just sat on my bench except for the Bye week.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Return to Football Talk