Ben Utecht - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ben Utecht

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ben Utecht

Postby Polar Bear » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:16 pm

Don't know about anyone else but I have this guy as a huge sleeper, with the potential to jump up to a 2nd tier TE in that Bengals offense.

With Chris Henry gone the Bengals signed this guy and he looked great in that offense in their first game. I think he will benefit from the double teams that Chad gets and the added attention that Housh gets this year. I have been taking this guy in the last round in every one of my drafts as a backup. Palmer will spread the love around and Utecht was a decent receiver in Indy.

What are some other thoughts on this guy.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ben Utecht

Postby mystykoekaki » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:23 pm

Polar Bear wrote:Don't know about anyone else but I have this guy as a huge sleeper, with the potential to jump up to a 2nd tier TE in that Bengals offense.

With Chris Henry gone the Bengals signed this guy and he looked great in that offense in their first game. I think he will benefit from the double teams that Chad gets and the added attention that Housh gets this year. I have been taking this guy in the last round in every one of my drafts as a backup. Palmer will spread the love around and Utecht was a decent receiver in Indy.

What are some other thoughts on this guy.

sshhhhhh... rule #1. Seriously I can't remember where I heard it but somebody was saying the exact samething. Then he caught a TD pass in preseason, I will be watching how this develops. Currently is one of my main sleepers this year! ;-D
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby treat24 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:26 pm

MN boys are awesome... Barber, Maroney, Spaeth had some TDs in Pit last year, Utecht, soon to be John Carlson in SEA... tutu atwell is probably blowing up somewhere i'm sure :-b

We breed TEs, lol
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby logan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:30 pm

he should have a nice season in cinci. he gives them something they haven't ever had in the offense and now with henry gone and no one really stepping up to replace him at this point he should have a lot of value for where you can get him. i'm not sure if i want to bank on him as a number one at this point but he should make a great bye week filler at the least if not a guy who can start for your team at some point.

he makes waiting to draft a lower ranked TE a much more viable option since you can get him late to hedge your bets.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby brett5673 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:42 pm

Utechts dad was my moms minister for a while and was born 5 miles from me(not Relevant really) and yes he is good and has the talent to be good, now he gets an oppurtunity as well. i would kinda think of him as the Turner of TEs sorta
Welcome to Minnesota, Lord Brett
brett5673
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:08 am

As a Colts fan, I used to call him Ben "Injury Timeout" Utecht. Yeah, he has decent pass-catching ability for a TE, but he's easily dinged up and has a propensity to either drop or fumble the ball. I'd take a late flier on him, but I wouldn't reach for him by any stretch of the imagination.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:22 am

I think Utecht is a bit over-rated. Sure he's a sleeper, but I think his top end isn't all that. Better sleeper in Franks, methinks.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:27 am

Talent wise, no he may not be that appetizing, but he is in a great situation...While everyone fondles over Vernon Davis' 4.3 speed and 40+ inch vertical and top 10 draft status, I'll take Utech to out produce him this year, while getting him at the end of the draft...Cincy needs a TE in the worst way, and with Henry gone as a safety valve Utech will get plenty of targets from Carson, especially in the redzone where they struggled last year.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Polar Bear » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:52 am

moochman wrote:I think Utecht is a bit over-rated. Sure he's a sleeper, but I think his top end isn't all that. Better sleeper in Franks, methinks.

How in the world is a guy that goes in the last round or not at all...overrated?
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:27 am

i'd consider picking him up off the WW as a bye week fill in if he had a good matchup...it's not like the Cincy TE has been productive in years past (now i dont know how much of that is due to the scheme vs the talent...but it's Ben Utecht, not Ben Watson)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk