OK, Dumb Girl Question!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

OK, Dumb Girl Question!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

OK, Dumb Girl Question!!!

Postby KCsTeam » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:03 am

I was watching a draft last night and someone took Tom Brady in the 2nd pick. (I guess I'm saying that right... 1st round, 2nd pick). Is that not a good move???
Brady scored 462 FF points last year. LT scored 302. Brady averaged 28.9 points/game while LT only 18.9. I don't understand.... It looks to me that Brady would be a much better pick that LT. Would I be making a huge mistake if I took Brady with my first pick in the 4th spot??? Couldn't I still get decent RBs with my next 2 picks (21st & 28th)... then grab some WRs???
Can't beat 'em.... Join 'em!!!
KCsTeam
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: OK, Dumb Girl Question!!!

Postby dream_017 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:24 am

KCsTeam wrote:I was watching a draft last night and someone took Tom Brady in the 2nd pick. (I guess I'm saying that right... 1st round, 2nd pick). Is that not a good move???
Brady scored 462 FF points last year. LT scored 302. Brady averaged 28.9 points/game while LT only 18.9. I don't understand.... It looks to me that Brady would be a much better pick that LT. Would I be making a huge mistake if I took Brady with my first pick in the 4th spot??? Couldn't I still get decent RBs with my next 2 picks (21st & 28th)... then grab some WRs???

There is never a dumb question.

The thing that you have to look at is it is not as easy as comparing across positions. You have to look at the difference in scoring of QB1(Brady) vs QB10 (in a 10 team league this would be the last starter) and RB1 vs RB 20 (again last starting RB based on starting 2 RB for 10 teams). The difference in points is much greater in RBs than QBs, that is why RBs are more valuable and most agree that you can draft a QB in the mid to late rounds and still be competitive.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Re: OK, Dumb Girl Question!!!

Postby logan » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:46 am

that only really works if you expect brady to go for another 50 td's this year which while not out of the realm of possibility i just don't think will happen. brady makes an argument to be drafted in the first but not a 4. (i'm not drafting him in the first period and will never take a qb in the first)

say you do go brady at 4 these are the backs you will be looking at that have an ADP around your next two picks (barring someone falling or you reaching for someone else

maurice jones drew
willis mcgahee
jamal lewis
reggie bush
brandon jacobs
laurence maroney

all of those backs are either in committees and or have injury concerns.MJD is probably at this point the best of that group and i don't see him still being around then anyways.

now then if you do go QB , rb ,rb and then start looking for a wideout you will have left

greg jennings
santonio holmes
brandon marshall
calvin johnson
dwayne bowe

not a horrible group but outside of marshall they are all #2 wideouts at this point. holmes and johnson have the potential to reach # 1 status but it's not a guarantee. jennings has that potential as well but that ultimately comes down to how well rodgers plays.

now if you go with conventional drafting and take your rb at #4 you will have a choice between westy (If he drops a spot) addai and steven jackson.

with your number two pick you can go with MJD if he is still there or you can address your wideout spot and get someone like andre johnson ,marques colston or TJ houshmanzadeh

then with pick number three you can snag guys like steve smith,chad johnson, buress if you go back with number two or guys like bush and jacobs who make solid number two backs.

drafting a team is as much about getting solid players at most positions as it is getting the guy that far outscores the rest of the league.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Return to Beginner's Forum