Yahoo Auto Draft Question - FYI Answered - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Yahoo Auto Draft Question - FYI Answered

Moderator: Football Moderators

Yahoo Auto Draft Question - FYI Answered

Postby Eagle Baseball » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:05 pm

My league is having a live Yahoo draft and I plan to be at the draft so this should not be a problem. If you are not at the draft or Yahoo auto picks for you they will fill ALL your starting positions before they put any players on your bench so they will fill your K and Def before filling your #3 RB. Yahoo says they will use your pre-ranked system first and than their default settings to fill your roster. So here is what I did: I pre-ranked my players and put ALL the kickers and Def into the "Do Not Draft" section. I did this hoping that if for some reason I can not be at the draft Yahoo will not fill my K and Def and just put RB's, WR's and a QB on my bench. The thing that has me worried is Yahoo said on their site they will use their rankings to fill your roster. So my question is if I move all the K's & Def to "Do not Draft" and I am not at the live draft will I end up with no K's & Def on my drafted roster or will Yahoo default to their rankings and fill all my starting spots before adding any bench players?
Last edited by Eagle Baseball on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eagle Baseball
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 15)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yahoo Auto Draft Question

Postby Gibbs_Wagon » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:07 pm

warning: someone tried this last year and ended up getting a "yahoo bug".

what happened: yahoo's algorithm will go through all the players searching for a k or def, it will not find one, so it will give you the last player it ended up searching on (a 5th string rb from 1965 (or something like that)). The next round, it still wants to give you a K or a DEF, so the process repeats. Pretty much bombed his team. Not sure if yahoo fixed this or not.

If you're good with the search mechanism, you might be able to find the thread. It wouldn't take much to make auto drafting a better experience, but yahoo doesn't seem to concern itself with that. Best just to make sure you're there. Good Luck.
Gibbs_Wagon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Where's Ryan Leaf? » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:01 am

I tried it last year and experienced the bug. I ended up with Bradlee Van Pelt as a back up quarterback. They may have fixed it this year, but you might want to email them and find out before you try it.
"I love me some me"
Where's Ryan Leaf?
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Eagle Baseball » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:25 am

ok. I set up a dummy league with 4 teams. 2 of them I put all the K's and Def into the "exclude" column and 2 I left normal. I set the league to autodraft. It will draft sometime between now and Aug 19 p.m. I will let you know how it turns out.
Eagle Baseball
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Eagle Baseball » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:03 am

FYI it works like I hoped it would. As I said above I set up a 4 team league and had 2 teams move ALL K's & Def to "exclude" and 2 teams normal. I had a Yahoo autodraft. The 2 normal teams had a Def drafted for them in rd 8 and a K in rd 9. The 2 teams that had the K's and Def moved to "exclude" had a normal draft with no yahoo bugs and just continued picking RB's and WR's and ended up with no players that you look and and say "who is that?".

So I am going to go into my draft with all the K's and Def's moved to "exclude" just in case something happens due to life in general or computer/internet problems.
Eagle Baseball
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk