Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Teachers Allowed to Carry...

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:33 pm

I don't think I like it. I do on the outside looking in, but then I think about my kid and if his teachers carried. There are a few of them I am not familiar with so I don't know if I'd feel very comfortable knowing they're packing heat around my kid. I would assume there would be extensive training going into this because there are a lot of teenagers that could disarm a teacher.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:36 pm

That is a simply awful idea. Sure, it is good for the responsible teachers, but what about the irresponsible ones who will inevitably start threatening children? I know about all the insane teachers I have who would use the newfound power in a terrible way. Also, if any kids were to plan a columbine type thing, it just became a whole lot easier for them. This will cause more harm than it prevents.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Guru13 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:39 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote: Also, if any kids were to plan a columbine type thing, it just became a whole lot easier for them. .

I guess I don't really see how, it says in the article that they would have to go through the proper training in order to carry and should have the know how to take down someone if need be.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:45 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote: Also, if any kids were to plan a columbine type thing, it just became a whole lot easier for them. .

I guess I don't really see how, it says in the article that they would have to go through the proper training in order to carry and should have the know how to take down someone if need be.

No amount of training can completely prepare you for everything, especially a bunch of angry kids bigger than you who work together to get your gun away from you. I just don't think I could trust someone who I don't know to carry around my kid all day. And I don't know what kind of training they may or may not have gone through. I think they're just assuming the parents are going to automatically be ok with this, but I don't think I would.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:51 pm

I knew that was going to be us (Texas) before I clicked the link and I hadn't heard a word about this until now. :-b

Of course, I've got no problems with it. The teachers will be trained, licensed, and the school will know who's got one and who doesn't. Students can/do/will bring guns to school regardless, so it's only fair to the teachers to allow them to carry as well.

Not to mention that violent crime will go down since criminals that use guns generally only attack when they know their intended victims are unarmed. This takes that security blanket away from the criminals.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:53 pm

Madison wrote:The teachers will be trained, licensed, and the school will know who's got one and who doesn't.

How do you know for sure? Because they tell you? And exactly how well will they be trained and in what capacity? Too many questions for me to feel comfortable with this.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:03 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Madison wrote:The teachers will be trained, licensed, and the school will know who's got one and who doesn't.

How do you know for sure? Because they tell you? And exactly how well will they be trained and in what capacity? Too many questions for me to feel comfortable with this.

From the article:

Teachers who wish to bring guns will have to be certified to carry a concealed handgun in Texas and get crisis training and permission from school officials, he said.

If the class is good enough to allow people to carry guns on the street, it's good enough to train teachers. Teachers aren't special in that regard, so if the State Certified training course isn't good enough, then you should have spoken up before now. :-b ;-)

And of course the teachers will tell the administration when/if they get their license and carry a gun. Would be crazy not to, and there's nothing negative about it. Heck, a teacher that's trained and licensed to carry is actually more valuable than one that isn't. I know if I ran a school, I'd be a lot happier if all my teachers were trained and licensed to carry. It's a big plus. Kinda like being bilingual. So there's no reason to hide it.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:49 pm

Stupid....If you want armed protection in schools then hire armed protection. I just heard about a shooting at the local Denny's here, maybe they should arm the busboys and the wait staff. :-?

Leave the teachers to the teaching, let security handle the protection.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby moochman » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:03 pm

Metroid wrote:Stupid....If you want armed protection in schools then hire armed protection. I just heard about a shooting at the local Denny's here, maybe they should arm the busboys and the wait staff. :-?

Leave the teachers to the teaching, let security handle the protection.

Absolutely right. If you want the school to be safer hire security. Having teachers with weapons is abusrd. If trouble started in a school and the need for firearms was called for I sure wouldn't want some teacher bearing that responsibility. That is simply not their role, nor is it a role they're psychologically suited for.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Next

Return to General Talk