Teachers Allowed to Carry... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Teachers Allowed to Carry...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Teachers Allowed to Carry...

Postby Tyeattolah » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:06 pm

Part of me wants to say this is a good thing...but a bigger part of me says this is a recipe for disaster. If you are going to carry you gotta be prepared to use it and while these teachers may be trained to fire/safety etc...are they prepared to actually pull the trigger when and if the time comes.

Better to keep all of the guns out of school through tighter security procedures than to introduce them legally only to have them subject to being taken away...and used against the innocents!
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:27 pm

Madison wrote:Kids are around guns all the time. Guns are everywhere.

This is not true for everywhere Mad. While you and myself, my son, and many other people I know were introduced to guns early and often, I know of many people who have not been exposed to firearms in any way. I bet there are a handful here at the Cafe even. So what may feel natural, reassuring, comforting, etc. for us might not be for others. And it doesn't have to be. I love guns. Everything about them. But I understand that some people don't. And that's fine. Guns terrify some people so introducing them possibly against their parent's will isn't the right thing to do in my opinion.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby moonhead » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:47 pm

Madison wrote:
moonhead wrote:the school system has 110 students?! this sounds completely necessary. i'm sure they are overrun with gangbangers and drug dealers. :-t

way to make a statement.

Gotta start somewhere, don't they? Starting with a school of 5,000 kids probably isn't the best way to start a program like this. I mean it could fail miserably if the teachers are idiots, so starting small and working out any possible kinks and things is really the way to go before expanding it to larger schools.

you're out of your mind.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby houstonherdfan » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:16 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:

This is not true for everywhere Mad. While you and myself, my son, and many other people I know were introduced to guns early and often, I know of many people who have not been exposed to firearms in any way. I bet there are a handful here at the Cafe even. So what may feel natural, reassuring, comforting, etc. for us might not be for others. And it doesn't have to be. I love guns. Everything about them. But I understand that some people don't. And that's fine. Guns terrify some people so introducing them possibly against their parent's will isn't the right thing to do in my opinion.

If you live in Texas it is absolutely true. Of all the peop-le I know there are maybe 2 or 3 that do NOT have at least 1 gun in the house. About 1/2 don't keep them loaded but the other !/2 do. That includes my house (the loaded part). My 13 year old son is actually a better shot than I am with the 38, I can out do him with the 10 mill. Thats only because the 10 is a little too much gun for him due to his size. He also out does me by just a little with the 270.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby knapplc » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:09 pm

I was watching the Olympics the other day. Marksmanship. Funny thing - these people who train their whole lives for one Olympiad? Seems like they can't hit what they're aiming at all of the time. Weird. I thought if you trained, you always hit what you pointed your gun at.

Maybe... and this is a crazy thought, I know... but maybe, those teachers who go through the ten hour course or whatever it is, taught at the local community college by who knows who, maybe those people aren't even as accurate as Olympic-caliber markspersons (gotta be PC). And if they're not, and they're shooting their guns in an environment filled with innocent students, doesn't it stand to reason that they could hit a student and not the bad guy? In my world that's a possibility. I wonder how I'd feel if some teacher popped a cap in my kid. Probably not so good.

I know, the odds of a teacher shooting and missing their target are infinitesimal, just like the odds of some trained driver hitting another vehicle are infinitesimal (because they're trained, you see), so I don't have to worry about this. But then again, I'm a worrier. Call me crazy. :-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:20 pm

knapplc wrote:Call me crazy. :-)

I'll go ahead and keep calling you a smartass. :-D :-b
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:25 pm

You can call me a half-loaded smartass if you like, too. I've downed my share of a couple of cases of barley soda, plus several glasses of a nice red tonight. We had folks over to grill and watch the Olympics, and I'm three sheets to the wind.

But no typos. Gotta love drunk typists who still know their stuff. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:48 pm

knapplc wrote:You can call me a half-loaded smartass if you like, too. I've downed my share of a couple of cases of barley soda, plus several glasses of a nice red tonight. We had folks over to grill and watch the Olympics, and I'm three sheets to the wind.

But no typos. Gotta love drunk typists who still know their stuff. ;-D

We went to the Air Show at Offutt today and I'm pretty tuckered out myself. Those pilots and machines continue to amaze me...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:54 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:

I'm not going to say I "love" guns, but for me it is simply that they really are everywhere. While some people would like to think rainbows and puppy dogs that their teenager is in safe at school, the reality is that there is at least one gun on their child's campus, and it's not a responsible adult in control of that gun. So that person has 100% control over anyone and everyone in that school should they decide to brandish it. Now if that student knows that any of the teachers "could" have a gun, they are much less likely to think about pulling theirs (even stupid/crazy kids with guns don't really want to die). That adds safety that wasn't there before, all by itself.

moonhead wrote:you're out of your mind.

Why do you think they call me "Mad"? :-b

But in all seriousness, I simply don't live in a dream world where I think all is safe and good, and the bad guys will just go away and leave the good people alone. I wished it worked that way, I really do, but the sad fact is that it doesn't and it's not getting any better. Times change, and we have to adapt. So the choice is to either be able to protect yourself and family (that includes putting safety measures like this in place), or close your eyes, click your heels, and hope nothing bad happens (good luck).

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kilroy » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:19 am

Madison wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

I'm not going to say I "love" guns, but for me it is simply that they really are everywhere. While some people would like to think rainbows and puppy dogs that their teenager is in safe at school, the reality is that there is at least one gun on their child's campus, and it's not a responsible adult in control of that gun. So that person has 100% control over anyone and everyone in that school should they decide to brandish it. Now if that student knows that any of the teachers "could" have a gun, they are much less likely to think about pulling theirs (even stupid/crazy kids with guns don't really want to die). That adds safety that wasn't there before, all by itself.

moonhead wrote:you're out of your mind.

Why do you think they call me "Mad"? :-b

But in all seriousness, I simply don't live in a dream world where I think all is safe and good, and the bad guys will just go away and leave the good people alone. I wished it worked that way, I really do, but the sad fact is that it doesn't and it's not getting any better. Times change, and we have to adapt. So the choice is to either be able to protect yourself and family (that includes putting safety measures like this in place), or close your eyes, click your heels, and hope nothing bad happens (good luck).

Putting police officers that train regularly with firearms (including training in deadly force situations, not that anything can really train you for one) is a "safety measure". Arming teachers (half of whom can't even teach much less shoot) is lunacy.

DISCLAIMER: The above potshot at teachers is a generalization (one that unfortunately has merit) and in no way is intended as or should be perceived as a slight against a noble profession or those that practice it (of which I know there are a few among us). Just making a point.

Now put the damn gun down. :-D

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk