Lucas Oil Stadium - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Indianapolis Colts

Lucas Oil Stadium

Moderator: Football Moderators

Lucas Oil Stadium

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:43 pm

Saw it today with the roof opened up for the first time ;-D

I work on the 9th floor of a building a few blocks east and a couple blocks south of the stadium and there's a great view of it from conference room 9A. I've been watching the construction go on for 2 years now, and this was the first time I've seen the roof retracted... It's pretty exciting. I can't wait to get inside and see it from inside looking out :-D
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Lucas Oil Stadium

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:44 am

I so need to move to Indianapolis! Even my wife has talked with me about heading off to Indy. God knows the homes wouldn't cost as much as they do here in California. I've seen pictures of the new stadium via the Colts.com site and it's quite a site to see. I guess we'll get to see the new stadium house a game tomorrow. I'll be watching via satellite! :-)
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:25 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I so need to move to Indianapolis! Even my wife has talked with me about heading off to Indy. God knows the homes wouldn't cost as much as they do here in California. I've seen pictures of the new stadium via the Colts.com site and it's quite a site to see. I guess we'll get to see the new stadium house a game tomorrow. I'll be watching via satellite! :-)

It's a fairly low cost of living here, and one of the most affordable housing markets in the country, especially now with the 'it's not a recession.'

Alas, I believe the game tonight is in Atlanta. We have to wait until the Buffalo game on the 24th to see a broadcast from the new stadium. They did the first unveiling on Thursday night, it was an invitation-only, $250/ticket affair for 5,000 people. They have some local high school type stuff going on there now. Today's actually the first day it's open to the public for tours but those sold out well in advance. They're expecting 100,000 people to show up for the tours, plus the GenCon convention is in town, so I think downtown is going to be a mess today.

The new stadium dwarfs the RCA Dome. It has a larger than life look to it. It's too bad they didn't build Conseco Fieldhouse over in that quadrant of downtown; we'd have the new stadium, the fieldhouse, and the ballpark all clustered together. But, with the NBA being like it is, it's probably best to have the fieldhouse near the courthouse/Marion county jail. ;-)
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:55 am

Good to see the newspaper focusing on the important stuff.... they have the stadium concession menu and prices up. $7 beer? Not just for strip clubs any more.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080818/LOCAL/808180372
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby geekygirl » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:12 pm

its a really amazing stadium.
i went to the bears colts opener and even though it was a crap game, the energy was awesome.

as far as moving to indy.... ehhhh. im not a big fan. i grew up around there and i was never really impressed. but if you think its for you, and you actually have your wife wanting to go too, go for it! :)
geekygirl Beginner
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:21 pm

Had my first visit to the new stadium today. Several reactions.

First, the bad:
1) I'd forgotten how much I dislike being in a large crowd that walks slowly and randomly stops/changes direction in front of me. But, that's any stadium.
2) overall lack of disabled parking. I took my mom to the game today and there was nothing. They 'expanded' the disabled parking to 300 spots recently. Not nearly enough, and many of them were further than ordinary parking.
3) Indy police can't control the streets. The crowd before and after the game was walking through the middle of the streets, not paying attention to stoplights or anything. It was like Mardi Gras. But, that's not the stadium, that's the town.
4) The televised coverage of the stadium is better than the reality (no surprise there).
5) high costs for stadium food/beer/seats/etc.
6) paying $30 for parking.

The good:
1) WAY more open feeling than the Hoosier Dome ever had.
2) The building is HUGE. Launching fireworks inside the venue with room to spare = awesome.
3) The huge screens. We were in end zone seats in the Southwest corner. Anything on the far side of the 50, I watched the screens more than the field. The screens looked like they were about 50' ones.
4) Lots of hot women in Manning jerseys and tight jeans ;-D
5) Much cleaner and more service facilities/concessions than the Dome had. Only had to wait to use the restroom once, and that was a very brief wait.
6) The North entrance has all the goodies from Lucas Oil, and had a live concert going for pregame. I walked up there before the game to check it all out, was able to spot my mom in section 231 from the far end of the field it's all so open.
7) Security was pretty efficient. When we were going through, their ticket scanners rebooted or something, but it was a very brief delay. If not for the 30 degree temps and 50mph winds whiping around the stadium it's not even worth mentioning.

Overall, the TV coverage of the stadium is the A+ version of it. In real life, I give it a B+. That might have been different (better) had I been drinking the overpriced beer, but since I had my nearly-70 year old mom with me, I was abstaining. Plus the Colts didn't exactly light the world on fire today, but they won, so it's all good.

There was also a higher-end crowd than I'm used to from the Dome. Perhaps the prices are keeping the riffraff out? (no slight intended toward our Cafe member of same name.) I only witnessed one instance of negativity between fans and that was just two drunk guys gesturing at each other which quickly ended.

So aside from parking and difficulties getting to/away from the stadium it was pretty sweet. The folks working there were all efficient and polite. Not at all a bad NFL experience. We left just at the 2 minute warning when the Colts intercepted and sealed the game. I'll be happy to go back and hopefully pound the beers like Addai pounds the rock. ;-D
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Indys_time » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:42 pm

Wow my first post in like an year, hmmm never been inside lucas oil, but seems good, prlly won't go watch a game in live for a while, freakin college expenses suck. But yeah duran, don't move to indy!!, fist thing I graduate from IU, im looking for a WARMER state, such as cali, texas, florida, or arizona.
Thanks to Joelamosobadiah for another great sig
Indys_time
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Indianapolis Colts