Pre Season Game 2 Det @ Cin - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Pre Season Game 2 Det @ Cin

Moderator: Football Moderators

Pre Season Game 2 Det @ Cin

Postby dream_017 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:02 pm

What are your pre-game thoughts? What happened during the game? Post game thoughts?

Game will be Sunday at 7:00 shown locally on WWJ
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Pre Season Game 2 Det @ Cin

Postby moochman » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:13 am

My wish list includes:
Seeing a semblance of a running game. The Bungals aren't the hardiest of Ds so we should be able to break the 3 YPC barrier, no? I want to see Smith make someone miss and maybe scamper for a 10+ yd run. I want to see Bell run like it means something.
I want to see Gostar make a few pancakes, no penalties, and make an impact blocking.
I want to see Staton get a chance to throw to Roy and Franchise.
I want to see the D Line make some plays. Lots of plays.
I want to see Avril and DUIzon making plays like guys with natural ability.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby dream_017 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:13 pm

moochman wrote:My wish list includes:
Seeing a semblance of a running game. The Bungals aren't the hardiest of Ds so we should be able to break the 3 YPC barrier, no? I want to see Smith make someone miss and maybe scamper for a 10+ yd run. I want to see Bell run like it means something.
I want to see Gostar make a few pancakes, no penalties, and make an impact blocking.
I want to see Staton get a chance to throw to Roy and Franchise.
I want to see the D Line make some plays. Lots of plays.
I want to see Avril and DUIzon making plays like guys with natural ability.

At halftime you only have 1 :-o

So far, I think the defense did a nice job of getting pressure on Palmer. Since he left it has been a different D, but the 1st stringers did good. Our passing game looks sharp, but the running game looks bad, well, not even bad, it looks terrible. As much as I loved the roll outs last week, I am having trouble with the 1 guy on teh weak side they are leaving untouched, even on the rollouts.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LT Blue Colt » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:56 pm

I agree, if they'd just hold that weak side defense a little bit, and maybe if the QB was someone different than Orlovsky, then I think those bootlegs would look good. Cause the more the passing works the better the run will get.
Metroid wrote: I eat Old Spice. :-B

I'm a Lions fan. I'm chuck full of freakin' hope.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:57 pm

LT Blue Colt wrote:I agree, if they'd just hold that weak side defense a little bit, and maybe if the QB was someone different than Orlovsky, then I think those bootlegs would look good. Cause the more the passing works the better the run will get.

Well, Stanton pulled it off how it is supposed to be run ;-D Plus there was no weak side defender.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Postby moochman » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:04 pm

Well I don't know what to think. My gut tells me that the D was more a reflection of a terrible game by the Bengals than it was good play by the D. The secondary played better, Bodden looks pretty good so far and the Tampa guys are better than the garbage we had last year.
The D-line wasn't all that good. Cincy didn't exactly hide what they were doing and executed poorly, yet the D line couldn't make successive plays. They still look like teams are going to run roughshod over them.
Did any LBs play?
Kitna looks sharp and didn't stay in long enough to face any pressure situations-or INT opportunities. :-D
The run game not only looked ineffective, it looks like the coaching staff has no interest or faith in seeing it through. I swear I thought Martz was running the O tonight. NimRod talks out of three sides of his mouth. Commitment to run and practice makes perfect, then come to time to put it on tape and they don't even try to establish the run vs a team that is a historically run D.
My take is that NimRod knows nothing about O and so leaves it up to his OC entirely. Colletto & Co. have left Kitna the option to audible at will and he checks into passing plays alot. I don't know exactly how, but I am sure that it is Martz'z fault. :-°
The one thing I noticed and ya gotta love is that Franchise looks like he is ready to own up to his potential. He has a very realistic chance to be an elite level, top 10 WR this season and for the rest of his career. Just too fast, smooth, and big. Cannot be covered.

Can anyone tell me what happened to the WR they spent a 5th round pick on becuase of his kick returning skills? Never saw him and never saw anybody that looked the least bit scarey returning kicks.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:24 am

moochman wrote:Well I don't know what to think. My gut tells me that the D was more a reflection of a terrible game by the Bengals than it was good play by the D. The secondary played better, Bodden looks pretty good so far and the Tampa guys are better than the garbage we had last year.
The D-line wasn't all that good. Cincy didn't exactly hide what they were doing and executed poorly, yet the D line couldn't make successive plays. They still look like teams are going to run roughshod over them.
Did any LBs play?
Kitna looks sharp and didn't stay in long enough to face any pressure situations-or INT opportunities. :-D
The run game not only looked ineffective, it looks like the coaching staff has no interest or faith in seeing it through. I swear I thought Martz was running the O tonight. NimRod talks out of three sides of his mouth. Commitment to run and practice makes perfect, then come to time to put it on tape and they don't even try to establish the run vs a team that is a historically run D.
My take is that NimRod knows nothing about O and so leaves it up to his OC entirely. Colletto & Co. have left Kitna the option to audible at will and he checks into passing plays alot. I don't know exactly how, but I am sure that it is Martz'z fault. :-°
The one thing I noticed and ya gotta love is that Franchise looks like he is ready to own up to his potential. He has a very realistic chance to be an elite level, top 10 WR this season and for the rest of his career. Just too fast, smooth, and big. Cannot be covered.

Can anyone tell me what happened to the WR they spent a 5th round pick on becuase of his kick returning skills? Never saw him and never saw anybody that looked the least bit scarey returning kicks.

i didnt see much, but i'm guessing the Bengals not having Housh and losing Chad quickly made our D look better than it did. i know it was a lot of 2nd stringers, but Kenny Watson tearing us up is about what i expect to happen on most nights. Our pass D might be improved bu i think we'll get run all over

i've been filling up on the Franchise Cornbread...i really, really hope he's the real deal. i just have to make sure not to buy a jersey and jinx him like i did with Verlander

no idea about the KR, but one of my biggest complaints in the offseason was that we need to address that...what we had last year was a joke, and it looks like we're sticking with it. i'm sure Rod has a "if we block like we're supposed to, and the men stay in their lanes...blah blah blah' Aveion Cason sucks. i cant beleive we cant find some Dime back who can also return kicks
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:41 am

What really keeps gnawing at me is hypocrit NimRod and his talk of pounding the rock. He is either lying through his teeth about the run game commitment, the run game looks putrid in practice too, or he fears losing exhibition games more than he wants to fix the team. If he wanted to fix the running game he should be running 70% of the time. No questions about it. And tell the opposing D you are going to do it. The reasons you do that is not becuase you want to have success, but becuase you have to measure progress. So you run even we the D knows you are running. ID your strengths and weaknesses so that you can get better. You put it on film, NimRod.!!!
You don't ignore the run game so that you can hide your weakness and get a little fan enthusiasm going before the season starts. I honestly think NimRod fears not selling out, having fans boo early right off the bat, and subsequently losing his job much more than he does practicing what he preaches.
He says he wants to run to keep the D off the field.
Yet he does not even try. Why is that?
NimRod is doing nothing to make me think he has any credentials to be a head coach.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dream_017 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:47 am

moochman wrote:What really keeps gnawing at me is hypocrit NimRod and his talk of pounding the rock. He is either lying through his teeth about the run game commitment, the run game looks putrid in practice too, or he fears losing exhibition games more than he wants to fix the team. If he wanted to fix the running game he should be running 70% of the time. No questions about it. And tell the opposing D you are going to do it. The reasons you do that is not becuase you want to have success, but becuase you have to measure progress. So you run even we the D knows you are running. ID your strengths and weaknesses so that you can get better. You put it on film, NimRod.!!!
You don't ignore the run game so that you can hide your weakness and get a little fan enthusiasm going before the season starts. I honestly think NimRod fears not selling out, having fans boo early right off the bat, and subsequently losing his job much more than he does practicing what he preaches.
NimRod is doing nothing to make me think he has any credentials to be a head coach.

The concern I have is somewhat similar. I think they are passing too much with the 1st teamers. We know they can throw it, we need to see them establish the run and even establish a RB for the team. Then they run the ball with Dan-O and Stanton :-? I want to see these guys fling the ball around. I want to see where we are at when Kitna gets his bell rung for the 100th time in only 5 games. We need to know if they can throw it to Franchise(thanks mooch ;-) )

I liked how we moved the ball on Off., but I'm concerned with us not scoring points again. Sure we have 2 TDs with the first team Off, but we could and should have more. This is something that bugged me last year in the regular season, not cashing in giving team a chance to come back. Again, it is better than the Martz era, but it is still something that concerns me.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:55 am

moochman wrote:What really keeps gnawing at me is hypocrit NimRod and his talk of pounding the rock. He is either lying through his teeth about the run game commitment, the run game looks putrid in practice too, or he fears losing exhibition games more than he wants to fix the team. If he wanted to fix the running game he should be running 70% of the time. No questions about it. And tell the opposing D you are going to do it. The reasons you do that is not becuase you want to have success, but becuase you have to measure progress. So you run even we the D knows you are running. ID your strengths and weaknesses so that you can get better. You put it on film, NimRod.!!!

the best part is, (from what i've heard) that they cant even practice the cut-blocking in practice (for fear of injury?) and it doesnt look like they want to in games either. I was counting on week 1 at Atlanta being one of our handful of wins* but now i'm not so sure, we may be in for an even ruder awakening

* my season prediction will come out sometime soon
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Detroit Lions