Ronnie Brown / Ricky split ratio? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ronnie Brown / Ricky split ratio?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ronnie Brown / Ricky split ratio?

Postby Cyclone177 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:18 pm

From what I have read from the Espn Si scouts, it sounds like Ricky has been the best player in camp, let alone the the best RB. I am starting him over LJ this week, I think he is going to have a great game with those 20 carries.

That coach is just trying to keep the Jets on their toes for game planning.
Cyclone177
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:03 pm

Azrael wrote:Running backs coming off an ACL are going to take more than a year to heal. Edge struggled and Deuce and Jamal had decent years after their ACLs. Both Jamal and Deuce were down hill runners while Edge was a slasher and relied on his moves and cut back ability. But those guys played because they were "the guy". Them at 80% was better than anyone else on the team at 100%.

Deuce the year prior to his ACL tear: 269 carries for 1,074yds (4.0ypc) and 9 TDs, 34 receptions for 228yds (6.7ypc)
Deuce the year after his ACL tear: 244 carris for 1057yds (4.3ypc) and 10 TDs, 30 receptions for 198yds (6.6ypc)

Lewis the year prior to his ACL tear: 309 carries for 1364yds (4.4ypc) and 6 TDs, 27 receptions for 296yds (11ypc)
Lewis the year after his ACL tear: 308 carries for 1327yds (4.3ypc) and 6 TDs, 47 receptions for 442yds (9.4ypc) and 1 TD

Looks like more than 80% to me. Their numbers are basically exactly the same before and after. Eerily similar, actually.

If anything, they were both a little better the year after.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:24 pm

Whatever percent they were, they played because no one else on the team was nearly as good as they were. It's just common sense to me that if you have another guy who is capable of making plays, you don't beat a guy into the ground recovering from a major knee injury. Who knows what Williams has in him. I believe they are giving him the opportunity to take more than half the carries this year if he is up to it. If he can get over 4ypc then I think they'll use Brown in a limited rushing role this year. But if he struggles then I think they get Brown more involved. They must have seen something in them that made them want to give the guy a year extension.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby JasonSeahorn » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:30 pm

Ricky came in last year for 1 game and got injured. Hopefully for him he has been working on conditioning over the off season but I wouldn't put too much trust in him since he has been away for so long.

Ronnie will be starting off sharing carries, but you can probably get him as a back-up RB, and of all the RB3s out there he may have the highest ceiling. It's one of those picks that could either win you the league or end up being a perennial bench player...and since you probably don't have to draft him as a starter, I think it's a risk worth taking.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:59 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:Ricky came in last year for 1 game and got injured. Hopefully for him he has been working on conditioning over the off season but I wouldn't put too much trust in him since he has been away for so long.

Ronnie will be starting off sharing carries, but you can probably get him as a back-up RB, and of all the RB3s out there he may have the highest ceiling. It's one of those picks that could either win you the league or end up being a perennial bench player...and since you probably don't have to draft him as a starter, I think it's a risk worth taking.

Thats a great point, but the thing is you could probably say the exact same things about Ricky, and he is going alot later, seems like the better risk to me...I would not be surprised to see Ricky pull in 1000 yds and 10 TD's, granted him and Ronnie both could have that type of season but I'll take a risk on the healthy back I can get later that has been out of football for while versus the RB fresh off an injury that i have to take earlier.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby aaawall91 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:06 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb (really, not sarcastically) and say based on reports of Ricky playing so well in camp, and not having any set backs I know of that he should be in good physical condition which eliminates a lot of chance of injury.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby 2ksports » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:50 am

I couldn't believe it I got Ronnie Brown in the 5th round... lol.

Ricky is not the steal, Ronnie is in this years drafts. He is a top 10 RB going after the 3rd. I just can't believe it.

1) Ronnie is the more powerful back of the 2. He's going to get the goaline touches even if it is a timeshare.
2) even if it is a timeshare, it doesn't mean that both RBs are useless. There are plenty of timeshares where 1 RB can still be top 10 (see ADP and MJD)
3) Ronnie Brown is one of the best pass catching RBs. Pennington dumps off alot to RBs. RB is the 3rd down RB.
4) The Miami O-Line is the best it's been this decade. It's really really good, with Carey moving back to the right with LT experience. Also there is Jake Long, and he's mostly good at run blocking. They can run either way.

You take RB for the same reason you take ADP. Yes there are 2 good backs in the backfield, but Ronnie will get enough touches to make a huge fantasy impact. Do not pass him up because of Ricky Williams.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Azrael » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:45 am

2ksports wrote:I couldn't believe it I got Ronnie Brown in the 5th round... lol.

Ricky is not the steal, Ronnie is in this years drafts. He is a top 10 RB going after the 3rd. I just can't believe it.

1) Ronnie is the more powerful back of the 2. He's going to get the goaline touches even if it is a timeshare.
2) even if it is a timeshare, it doesn't mean that both RBs are useless. There are plenty of timeshares where 1 RB can still be top 10 (see ADP and MJD)
3) Ronnie Brown is one of the best pass catching RBs. Pennington dumps off alot to RBs. RB is the 3rd down RB.
4) The Miami O-Line is the best it's been this decade. It's really really good, with Carey moving back to the right with LT experience. Also there is Jake Long, and he's mostly good at run blocking. They can run either way.

You take RB for the same reason you take ADP. Yes there are 2 good backs in the backfield, but Ronnie will get enough touches to make a huge fantasy impact. Do not pass him up because of Ricky Williams.

1. What information do you have that makes you make this statement?
2. True
3. Ricky is also a great pass catching back. He had 4 consecutive years of catching atlest 44 balls.
4. I wouldn't say it's a great O-line yet but it's good enough for both to be productive as you said and their MO is to run the ball alot.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby footballsimp » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:20 am

2ksports wrote:
He's (Brown) going to get the goaline touches even if it is a timeshare.

Where did you get this inside scoop? In the pre-season games I have seen....Ricky received goal-line touches. I have not seen or heard anything that would back your claim.
footballsimp
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:28 am

2ksports wrote:I couldn't believe it I got Ronnie Brown in the 5th round... lol.

Talk about blowing a little hot air lol...

1. Ronnie is certainly not the more powerful back, you can check with Dolphins fans on any website, or you can just watch these two on your own, Ronnie has never been a powerful runner while Ronnie is...Where do you figured Ronnie Brown is getting goal line touches? Thats the exact opposite, how much leg drive do you think he has after a torn ACL? So what sense would it make to have him inside the 5 driving piles backwards pushing for TD's when Ricky has been the better goal line back of the two all pre-season, and frankly most of his career.

2. Exactly, which gives Ricky just as good of value, both guys will dip into eachothers carries, so in no way would Ronnie take over in some sort.

3. Yes he is a good pass catcher, which is why he will be used more on 3rd downs then goal line carries, as a matter of fact, you would be lucky to see Brown in AT ALL during the goal line.

4. I agree

My whole thing is, you just talked about how both guys have value, so how is Ronnie the steal in this years draft if you got him in the 5th, when somebody probably got Ricky in the 7th or 8th, and guys will have similiar production? I know your excited to have Brown and all, but it only makes sense that the guy with the lower ADP is the "steal" if you want to annoint somebody with that term, but I'm fairly certain Ronnie is not more powerful and won't be taking over the goal line...I think some guys are having wishful thinking, you want him to turn back into this great RB because he's on your fantasy team, when I'm looking at this from a football standpoint.

Just like Azreal said there is another more then capable RB on the team, Parcells will NOT run Brown into the ground anymore, he is a firm believer in RBBC, Jamal Lewis didn't have a Ricky Williams running his butt off in the pre-season, the Dolphins do...It could be a toss up who finishes with more yards or carries, but Ricky is going to be more productive early in the year.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer