Ronnie Brown / Ricky split ratio? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ronnie Brown / Ricky split ratio?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ronnie Brown / Ricky split ratio?

Postby FatFoot » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:00 am

There's hot air coming from multiple directions here.

I'm gonna suggest we wait and see how Ricky performs against real NFL defense before jumping on your bandwagon. This isn't the same dude from back when. We have seen exactly nothing to suggest that he is.

The exact same situation with Ronnie. We've got no reason to believe he's suddenly become worthless. I'd rather have Ronnie... in the stretch, I think there's an advantage that comes from youth. Further... not a power runner? This is getting a bit outta hand.

Either pick is highly speculative right now. I don't begin to understand why things are so vehement. Drafts are over. You made your picks. Now let's see who's right on the field, instead of on the forum.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:10 am

FatFoot wrote:There's hot air coming from multiple directions here.

I'm gonna suggest we wait and see how Ricky performs against real NFL defense before jumping on your bandwagon. This isn't the same dude from back when. We have seen exactly nothing to suggest that he is.

The exact same situation with Ronnie. We've got no reason to believe he's suddenly become worthless. I'd rather have Ronnie... in the stretch, I think there's an advantage that comes from youth. Further... not a power runner? This is getting a bit outta hand.

Either pick is highly speculative right now. I don't begin to understand why things are so vehement. Drafts are over. You made your picks. Now let's see who's right on the field, instead of on the forum.

Good post. I'm beginning to lament the fact that most of the commentary I've seen in this thread leaves little doubt about which player the guy making the comment is invested in. I am a Ronnie owner and although I am concerned about the possibility that I may have been wrong about thinking that he would be the more valuable back over the course of the season, I am still optimistic about his huge upside. In this thread we've got guys firmly in one back's corner and guys firmly in the other's. The only opinions I trust at all are those with the temerity to acknowledge the extent to which the nature of this situation is unknown.

I certainly like Ricky in week 1, but I don't see how he's better than even money to stay healthy. I like Ronnie to be close to the back he was pre-injury, but now he may have to compete with another quality back for touches. It could go either way.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 2ksports » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:10 pm

LS2throwed wrote:
2ksports wrote:I couldn't believe it I got Ronnie Brown in the 5th round... lol.

Ricky is not the steal, Ronnie is in this years drafts. He is a top 10 RB going after the 3rd. I just can't believe it.

1) Ronnie is the more powerful back of the 2. He's going to get the goaline touches even if it is a timeshare.
2) even if it is a timeshare, it doesn't mean that both RBs are useless. There are plenty of timeshares where 1 RB can still be top 10 (see ADP and MJD)
3) Ronnie Brown is one of the best pass catching RBs. Pennington dumps off alot to RBs. RB is the 3rd down RB.
4) The Miami O-Line is the best it's been this decade. It's really really good, with Carey moving back to the right with LT experience. Also there is Jake Long, and he's mostly good at run blocking. They can run either way.

You take RB for the same reason you take ADP. Yes there are 2 good backs in the backfield, but Ronnie will get enough touches to make a huge fantasy impact. Do not pass him up because of Ricky Williams.

Talk about blowing a little hot air lol...

1. Ronnie is certainly not the more powerful back, you can check with Dolphins fans on any website, or you can just watch these two on your own, Ronnie has never been a powerful runner while Ronnie is...Where do you figured Ronnie Brown is getting goal line touches? Thats the exact opposite, how much leg drive do you think he has after a torn ACL? So what sense would it make to have him inside the 5 driving piles backwards pushing for TD's when Ricky has been the better goal line back of the two all pre-season, and frankly most of his career.

2. Exactly, which gives Ricky just as good of value, both guys will dip into eachothers carries, so in no way would Ronnie take over in some sort.

3. Yes he is a good pass catcher, which is why he will be used more on 3rd downs then goal line carries, as a matter of fact, you would be lucky to see Brown in AT ALL during the goal line.

4. I agree

My whole thing is, you just talked about how both guys have value, so how is Ronnie the steal in this years draft if you got him in the 5th, when somebody probably got Ricky in the 7th or 8th, and guys will have similiar production? I know your excited to have Brown and all, but it only makes sense that the guy with the lower ADP is the "steal" if you want to annoint somebody with that term, but I'm fairly certain Ronnie is not more powerful and won't be taking over the goal line...I think some guys are having wishful thinking, you want him to turn back into this great RB because he's on your fantasy team, when I'm looking at this from a football standpoint.

Just like Azreal said there is another more then capable RB on the team, Parcells will NOT run Brown into the ground anymore, he is a firm believer in RBBC, Jamal Lewis didn't have a Ricky Williams running his butt off in the pre-season, the Dolphins do...It could be a toss up who finishes with more yards or carries, but Ricky is going to be more productive early in the year.

Uh, yes Ronnie has always been the more powerful back of the 2. Ricky is the faster of the 2. This has been the case since RB entered the league, i'll try to dig up the info. Also, you can easily tell by the way RB breaks more tackles. And in preseason, I'm pretty sure Ronnie got goaline touches too, not just Ricky, so that statement doesn't make sense to me either.

How about this, can anyone cite a source that says Ricky is stronger than Ronnie? I've never read that, only the other way around.

Not trying to blow hot air, I've been a Miami fan since '90, I have both players on my roster so I don't care, but I am pretty sure Ronnie Brown in the 5th is much better than Ricky in the 7th or 8th rounds in terms of getting a good deal/
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:23 pm

FatFoot wrote:There's hot air coming from multiple directions here.

Agreed, its almost like beating a dead horse at this point, soon we will all find out...This makes off-seasons more interesting in fantasy now, with all the RBBC forming everyone is interested in guessing how things shape up when in reality none of us know, its just all logical guesses that usually are fueled by somebody who ended up drafted one guy or the other...The only thing I've been going off of is how Parcells prefers to use two backs and strays away from having a workhorse guy to do it all, so I see no reason why that changes now that he has two capable backs, its a complete toss up who ends up more valuable at this point and its no sense in arguing opinions with one another.

Would be nice if Miami had any night games this year, but I won't get to see them play unless they happen to get slotted for one of the 1 o clock games on cbs.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby FatFoot » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:24 pm

That's the most frustrating thing... I want to watch so many of these interesting situations... I feel like I am watching movie trailers when I get the highlight reels. I want to see some of these rookie RBs perform... heck, I want to be able to watch J.T. O'Sullivan play.

But as for the Ricky vs Ronnie thing... the smart money seems to be Ricky in week 1. But as the year progresses, I am not going to be the least bit surprised to see that flip in the other direction. Either way, these are RB2/RB3 type guys who have the potential to be an RB1 level surprise, so naturally there will be a lot of discussion, and a lot of hopeful conjecture. If we just remember that it's all speculation at this point (even if one or another person turns out to be right) and not take it too seriously, it'll probably be a more enjoyable read for the rest of us. :)
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby petedog9 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:26 pm

Dolphins' RB Brown hopes knee stays healthy

By STEVEN WINE - AP Sports Writer

2008-09-05 17:52

DAVIE, Fla. (AP) -Until a knee injury sent him to the sideline, running back Ronnie Brown was the best thing about the Miami Dolphins' wretched 2007 season.

Despite a shaky supporting cast on offense, Brown began to justify his selection as the No. 2 overall pick in the 2005 draft. He rushed for more than 100 yards in four consecutive games, and totaled more than 200 yards from scrimmage in back-to-back games.

Then his season ended Oct. 21 because of a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. He was leading the NFL with 991 yards from scrimmage, impressive considering he played for a team that was 0-7.

Now Brown's healthy again and, beginning Sunday against the New York Jets, he'll form a one-two tandem with 2002 NFL rushing champion Ricky Williams. And again, the running back position may be the best thing about a team that's not very good.

``That's a position that's solved,'' coach Tony Sparano said. ``Now we can move on to some of the other ones.''

Williams will start against the Jets, but Brown will play early and play a lot, Sparano said Friday. The Ronnie and Ricky show should be worth watching, especially when they run behind 310-pound tackle Jake Long, the first overall pick in the draft.

Williams was so impressive in training camp that the Dolphins signed him to a contract extension, and while Brown carried only 17 times during the exhibition season, he seemed to regain his burst. Brown said he's not yet 100 percent, but he's not concerned about the knee.

``Talking to guys who went through something similar, I think it'll improve each week,'' he said. ``I feel good, and each game I felt better. It was a big test for me to go through camp and participate every day.''

In his first two NFL seasons, there were whispers Brown might become a draft bust. He ran for 907 yards as a rookie and 1,008 in 2006 and was an effective receiver, but there were quibbles about his breakaway ability and durability.

Last year he blossomed, rushing in consecutive weeks for 112 yards against the Jets, 134 against Oakland, 114 against Houston and 101 against Cleveland.

Then, with the Dolphins on the verge of a meltdown, he was done for the year.

``Obviously any time you get injured, it's tough not being able to participate,'' he said. ``You can't do anything to help your teammates. You work so hard and put so much into it, and you get in a situation when you get injured and your team is struggling, and there is nothing you can do about it.''

The Dolphins finished 1-15, then began to clean house. Brown enters his fourth season near the top of the list in roster seniority, although he's second - at least for now - on the depth chart.

The latest incarnation of Williams has been impressive this summer, which is why he'll start against the Jets, and Brown has never been a workhorse runner. Even at Auburn he shared carries with Carnell ``Cadillac'' Williams, and he's happy to split playing time with Ricky Williams.

``I think we're both starters,'' Brown said. ``Whoever starts, that's just the situation. I think we'll both have a lot of playing time and hopefully stay fresh and be able to keep the defense on their heels.''

Even with an upgrade at quarterback in the recently acquired Chad Pennington, Miami is expected to be a run-oriented team. New offensive coordinator Dan Henning likes to pound the ball, and running back is the deepest position on the roster.

``A lot of teams are looking for one back, and we feel like we have two backs right now who both can bring something to the table a little bit different and who enjoy helping each other,'' Sparano said. ``These two guys kind of play off each other a little bit. We haven't been able to really see that completely in a game yet, but I think that will come here shortly.''
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby superslugger616 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:50 am

Looks like a near-even split week 1, via Rotoworld:
Ricky Williams expects to share carries evenly with Ronnie Brown in Week 1 against the Jets.
"We're both going to get the same number of carries," said Williams, who will start. Coach Tony Sparano says Ronnie will "be in the game very soon" after Ricky. The Dolphins' goal-line back remains to be seen, but a 50:50 split appears quite possible after Brown turned in a strong week of practice. Sep. 6 - 1:55 am et

now to see who does more with his carries....
superslugger616
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LS2throwed » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:04 am

superslugger616 wrote:Looks like a near-even split week 1, via Rotoworld:
Ricky Williams expects to share carries evenly with Ronnie Brown in Week 1 against the Jets.
"We're both going to get the same number of carries," said Williams, who will start. Coach Tony Sparano says Ronnie will "be in the game very soon" after Ricky. The Dolphins' goal-line back remains to be seen, but a 50:50 split appears quite possible after Brown turned in a strong week of practice. Sep. 6 - 1:55 am et

now to see who does more with his carries....

Yep, week 1 is a huge week for alot of these RBBC's and might put one guy ahead of the other, I'm thinking of rolling the dice and starting Chris Johnson over Ricky now, I feel like all these guys are splitting carries with somebody else anyway, I'll take my chances on CJ making a big play, if not his receptions will make up for it, with the Dolphins you just don't really expect them to score more then 20 pts no matter how good of a goal line back either guy is, so this might be a situation I want to watch play out week 1 first.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mikus » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:15 pm

Ronnie could be passing Ricky on the depth chart as soon as this weekend:

RotoWorld wrote:Ronnie Brown worked ahead of Ricky Williams at Dolphins practice Wednesday.

The Dolphins' staff has made formal depth chart switches in practice at several other positions in the last few weeks (e.g. free safety, wide receiver) and we could have another one here. Williams took first-team handoffs throughout training camp and the preseason. While a carry split is still certain for Week 2, Brown is the more valuable fantasy back if he's starting.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby Azrael » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:46 pm

I still think we'll see both carry the ball a fair amount until one distances himself from the other. Even so, I would not expect Brown to be pounded this year. I also don't think we'll see the Dolphins throw the ball 30-40 times a game consistently. Everyone is running out to pick up Fasano, and if you have garbage at TE, rightly so but I think we'll see the Dolphins getting back to the power run game, especially to chew clock away from home against a high powered AZ offense.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk