Antivirus Software - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Antivirus Software

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Antivirus Software

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:24 pm

Yeah, I use ccleaner, but only run it manually, I review the files its about to delete, I don't clean the registry very often and when I do I always back it up first just in case.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby hastur » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:11 pm

I have been a card carrying member of the "If it's free, it's for me" club for a couple years, and did fine with AVG, spybot, ad-aware, scotty Winpatrol, Hijack This!, etc...

Well, this morning I clicked on a not so nice link(as I am oft to do), and within 2 minutes my machine was acting like it just swallowed a vile of small pox. I did my usual AVG, Spybot, Ad-Aware regimen and things started getting really kooky. It would boot up, but wouldn't complete. The icons would flash on and off, as if false-starting. Couldn't get high jack this to start, and finally it just sat there in windows, but no icons would show. Safe Boot didn't work, boot from the D drive didn't work, nothing.

I was forced to go and actually purchase something. For years, Norton was known as a resource hog. As of late though, I've heard they improved that and it got the best rating this year. So, I went with Norton 360, their complete suite.

All things are a go. :-°
Go Cowboys!
hastur
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:21 am

Never tried the free stuff but I might consider it. From what I have read Moony knows his Shiite Muslim about this stuff.

I have only used Mcaffee and Norton. Mcaffee was free from work so I used it for a while. It never seemed to catch anything especially the one that tells you you have 65 viruses and 169 infections and need to by antivirus 2008 immediately.

I had Norton for my wifes laptop which allowed several people to use the same install. I uninstalled Mcaffee and installed Norton and it catches everything. It does slow the computer though. Takes 5 minutes until I can make a post on the FFC.

I also use Malwarebytes to catch Malware.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Madison » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:07 am

Cowboys 4 life wrote:I also use Malwarebytes to catch Malware.

My wife found that program a few weeks ago after getting hit by that "antivirus 2008" junk. Seems to work fairly well. ;-D

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SeaWolf » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:58 am

If you get infected, which I did while using McAfee, use F-Secure. No other antivirus program would remove my bugs. Ran F-Secure last night and I think I'm free.

Oh and I'm going to use Avast for now on, and it's free. ;-D
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to General Talk