Newbie needs help making sense of rules - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Newbie needs help making sense of rules

Moderator: Football Moderators

Newbie needs help making sense of rules

Postby Ozymandias » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:25 pm

Hey guys. I just recently joined a fantasy football league -- the live draft is next Friday. I'm looking forward to it, and it's going to be a pretty competitive bunch of guys...and I'd love not to get steamrolled. Anyway, I've never done any sort of fantasy type stuff before, so this is all completely new to me as of today. I've done some reading and I tend to get the basic gist of things, but what has been confusing me over the last few hours are the scoring systems/rules and how a draft strategy would reflect these rules. Here are the rules for the yahoo fantasy sports league that I'm joining:

Max Teams: 10
Scoring Type: Head-to-Head
Start Scoring on: Week 1
Can't Cut List Provider: None
Max Moves: No maximum
Max Acquisitions per Week: No maximum
Max Trades: No maximum
Trade Reject Time: 0
Trade End Date: November 14, 2008
Trade Review: Commissioner
Waiver Time: No waivers
Post Draft Players: Free Agents
Playoffs: Week 15 and 16 (4 teams)
Roster Positions: QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, K, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN
Stat Categories: Completions (1)
Passing Yards (20 yards per point; 5 points at 400 yards)
Passing Touchdowns (6)
Interceptions (-2)
Rushing Yards (20 yards per point; 5 points at 200 yards)
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Receptions (1)
Reception Yards (20 yards per point; 5 points at 175 yards)
Reception Touchdowns (6)
Return Yards (20 yards per point; 5 points at 150 yards)
Return Touchdowns (6)
2-Point Conversions (2)
Fumbles Lost (-2)
Offensive Fumble Return TD (6)
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (1)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (2)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)
Point After Attempt Made (1)
Point After Attempt Missed (-1)
Sack (1)
Interception (2)
Fumble Recovery (2)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Block Kick (2)
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns (6)
Points Allowed 0 points (10)
Points Allowed 1-6 points (7)
Points Allowed 7-13 points (4)
Points Allowed 14-20 points (1)
Points Allowed 21-27 points (0)
Points Allowed 28-34 points (-1)
Points Allowed 35+ points (-4)
Fractional Points: Yes
Negative Points: Yes

As I mentioned, my main issue is lack of understanding of these rules in regards to how I would draft for this particular type of league. I have no basis of comparison since I've never done any fantasy league type stuff before, so I don't know what type of approach to take. Is this a typical type of league scoring/rule system, or are there some curve balls in here? Should I take a cookie-cutter approach to player selection or draft in some special way?

Thanks all. :-)
Ozymandias
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Newbie needs help making sense of rules

Postby RCR » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:18 pm

As far as I can tell, RBs are devalued somewhat (only 1 point per 20 yards) and QBs should be valued higher (especially with a bonus at 400 yards and passing TDs worth 6 points versus only 4 points in many leagues). WRs get a bonus at 175 yards as well, so you might think about going heavy on WRs and make sure you get a stud RB(one or two that don't share time) as well as a QB from a pass heavy team like Kitna or Favre. I'm not sure, but it looks like your league doesn't have waiver wire pickups? That's not good, you'll have to rely on trades only to bolster your team down the road. It is VERY difficult to win a league even with a good draft if you don't make smart decisions to add players throughout the season. You can, however, bury your season with a lousy draft.
RCR
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Ozymandias » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:26 pm

Thanks a lot. You're the man. This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. From what you're saying, it sounds like this isn't a typical ruleset after all. With that in mind, should I still go for the stud RB straight away and follow a normal draft order, or for the big name QBs, WRs right off the bat? Would the traditional player values apply for this league? i.e. Tomlinson #1, etc.
Ozymandias
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby dgallegos » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:51 am

The thing to remember is that you are going to be starting 2 RB's and only 1 QB, i would say in this type of league depending on where your draft order comes up, play it safe with a stud running back, on a 10 team leage quality QB's should still be available in round 2. Look at the projected stats do some math based on the scoring system and depending on which draft position you can decide who will earn you more points throughout the season, the quarterbacks on deck or the tandem of running backs you'll get.
dgallegos
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby ThrowItDeep » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:57 pm

I am also a new player, and I am trying to start an online community for new players. I am running a blog at the URL

http://ineligiblereceivers.shortslants.com/

If you are looking for like minded people you should check it out.
ThrowItDeep
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:37 am

Ozymandias wrote:Hey guys. I just recently joined a fantasy football league -- the live draft is next Friday. I'm looking forward to it, and it's going to be a pretty competitive bunch of guys...and I'd love not to get steamrolled. Anyway, I've never done any sort of fantasy type stuff before, so this is all completely new to me as of today. I've done some reading and I tend to get the basic gist of things, but what has been confusing me over the last few hours are the scoring systems/rules and how a draft strategy would reflect these rules. Here are the rules for the yahoo fantasy sports league that I'm joining:

Max Teams: 10
Scoring Type: Head-to-Head
Start Scoring on: Week 1
Can't Cut List Provider: None
Max Moves: No maximum
Max Acquisitions per Week: No maximum
Max Trades: No maximum
Trade Reject Time: 0
Trade End Date: November 14, 2008
Trade Review: Commissioner
Waiver Time: No waivers
Post Draft Players: Free Agents
Playoffs: Week 15 and 16 (4 teams)
Roster Positions: QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, K, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN
Stat Categories: Completions (1)
Passing Yards (20 yards per point; 5 points at 400 yards)
Passing Touchdowns (6)
Interceptions (-2)
Rushing Yards (20 yards per point; 5 points at 200 yards)
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Receptions (1)
Reception Yards (20 yards per point; 5 points at 175 yards)
Reception Touchdowns (6)
Return Touchdowns (6)
2-Point Conversions (2)
Fumbles Lost (-2)
Offensive Fumble Return TD (6)
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (1)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (2)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)
Point After Attempt Made (1)
Point After Attempt Missed (-1)
Sack (1)
Interception (2)
Fumble Recovery (2)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Block Kick (2)
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns (6)
Points Allowed 0 points (10)
Points Allowed 1-6 points (7)
Points Allowed 7-13 points (4)
Points Allowed 14-20 points (1)
Points Allowed 21-27 points (0)
Points Allowed 28-34 points (-1)
Points Allowed 35+ points (-4)
Fractional Points: Yes
Negative Points: Yes

As I mentioned, my main issue is lack of understanding of these rules in regards to how I would draft for this particular type of league. I have no basis of comparison since I've never done any fantasy league type stuff before, so I don't know what type of approach to take. Is this a typical type of league scoring/rule system, or are there some curve balls in here? Should I take a cookie-cutter approach to player selection or draft in some special way?

Thanks all. :-)

Welcome to the Cafe! ;-D

I agree with what's posted above, but noone has mentioned 1 point per completion for QB's. That's VERY abnormal and makes the QB's a LOT more valuable. QB's will score the most points by far with that rule. I've only played in 1 league with the rule. And in that league it's 1 point for every 5 completions. 1 point for every completion will make the best QB's rule the league. Usually just the passing TD's being 6 (instead of 4) would up the value of the QB's.

Also the 1 PPR isn't "normal". This will make the WR's, pass catching RB's, & top TE's a little more valuable.

I always grab a RB in the 1st & then try to go BPA (best player available). Usually I won't daft QB's until at least the 5th or later. I can easily see drafting a QB in the 2nd (or 3rd or 4th depending on how the draft is going)...and then get your WR's & RB's & TE's. ;-D

Good luck! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Vinny999 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:01 am

Another thing you might want to keep in the back of your mind is that you're getting 1 point for every 20 return yards, and 6 for a touchdown (plus the bonus at 150 which is kinda crazy).

That makes players who are starting WR's (or RB's although it's usually backup RB's) much more valuable. Keep an eye on Santonio Holmes, Ted Ginn, Devin Hester, Nate Burleson...and for a real late pick since its a 10-team league, Desean Jackson.

Good luck
Vinny999
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Script-Ohio » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:05 pm

Do you have any idea which pick you have yet?
QBs are definitely the power position in your league but at the same time, don't overpay for a 2nd tier QB if there's a stud RB or WR available.
Brady and Manning are obviously tier 1 but in your league I would probably move Drew Brees up into that group. He will probably lead the league in pass attempts and will get a ton of completions. Brees in 2007 had 443 completions compared to 398 for Brady and 337 for Manning just for comparison. Carson Palmer seems tempting also but with Chad Johnson's injury (not to mention Palmer and Housh a little dinged themselves), Chris Henry out for the first 4 games and the fact that they've looked terrible in the preseason I'm a little more hesitant on him. He'd be a great QB to have just don't reach for him IMO.
The thing about drafts is you have to be flexible so it's hard to give a definitive strategy on what to do - if you know your draft position ahead of time you can get much better advice for the first couple rounds.
I'd have my thoughts toward trying to get the best QB possible but I'd make sure to not overpay for one.
Script-Ohio
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Beginner's Forum