Green Bay Homers - Ryan Grant? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Green Bay Homers - Ryan Grant?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Green Bay Homers - Ryan Grant?

Postby Lucky7 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:17 pm

Due to his holdout and hammy, Grant has missed a lot of training camp and preseason. I'd like to hear from Green Bay homers on your thoughts about how this missed time may affect his regular season performance. Although the situations are very different in KC and Green Bay (is QB, offensive line), last year LJ's holdout negatively affected his first few games of the season. Thanks.
Lucky7
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Green Bay Homers - Ryan Grant?

Postby treat24 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:37 pm

I think he will be a little slow out of the gate. Some backs don't have issues missing preseason time, but this is a new QB and some new schemes. They play the Vikings Run D week 1... Which as both a Vikes fan and Pack fan I haven't been too impressed with our run D against Seattle and the Ravens. The Seahawks game we were missing many key parts. No excuse in the Ravens game. We got gashed. I wouldn't be a ton worried about Grant JUST yet... but should he continue sitting, I'd expect a slow start.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby TommyZND » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:49 pm

Which as both a Vikes fan and Pack fan

vikings and packers fan? odd combination
MY TEAMS:
NCAA- Fighting Irish
NFL- Steelers
MLB- Pirates
NBA- Knicks
TommyZND
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby treat24 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:53 pm

TommyZND wrote:

story of my life. grew up in a split half vikes fan half pack fan household. The choice was cheer for both or cheer against each other and fight all the time. The latter only lasted a little while. I learned it was much more fun for the family to cheer for both. Spend a couple decades cheering for both, you love both. I'm a Vikings first guy, but if the pack is playing against someone else I root for the pack. End of the season cheering gets tricky with playoff berths and division championships... I continue to bleed purple in those times.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:19 pm

Sounds like me O:-)

Except I'm a Bengals and Steelers fan, compeltely different reasons though.

Grew up (still am) in Greater Cincinnati area, but live in the town Roethlisberger went to college so saw him during those days a lot.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby dgan » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:01 pm

Treat just doesn't have the guts to choose a side. }:-)

I think there are reasons to be concerned about Grant, and the injury is only a small part of it. Here's a few:

- We've seen in the Preseason that Grant won't be afforded the 6 and 7man fronts he got when Favre was the QB. Until Aaron Rodger proves he can get rid of the ball (he's actually pretty accurate enough to beat 1on1 coverage but holds the ball too long in doing so), teams are going to send a ton of people to the line.

- Even before the injury, Brandon Jackson was a fairly high draft pick last year who was expected to do what Ryan Grant did. Injuries, rookie mistakes, and difficulty picking up the zone-blocking scheme basically put him on the shelf. He looks much improved. They also have Morency who is the best receiving back on the team - for unknown reasons, he finds himself in McCarthy's doghouse but I've been begging for him to be the third down back now for 2+ years. It looks like they'll also keep a fourth back on the roster, Noah Herron, who also is a good receiver and the only 'scat back' on the team. All of this to say there are plenty of other guys to go to if Ryan Grant struggles in a game or series of games.

- So far, the Oline interior has not shown any improvement over last year. Clifton and Tauscher at the Tackles are another year older and have clearly begun to lose some athleticism. This combined with a QB who holds the ball too long and defenses who are anxious to throw more people at you than you can block...not a recipe for success.

Now, nearly every back in the league has little things like these, so don't read this as a doomsday prophecy for Grant. But I do disagree with those that have him approaching top 10 RB status. I currently would recommend he be no higher than 15th among RBs, and I personally have him closer to 20. I predict the Packers will be more of a RBBC than people think, but Grant will still get enough to be a good option. It will be up and down, though, unlike last year where he was a pretty steady producer.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby tomkatt » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:50 pm

I think Grant is being drafted WAY too high this year. He sure had a nice regular season that nobody saw coming last year, but I think teams will stack against the run in '08. I remember reading an article on packersplus online when they acquired him. They talked to a bunch of NFC scouts, and everyone of them said that Ryan Grant was just average at best. Now he obviously played much better than expected, but I still think he isn't going to live up to where people are drafting him. He's not going to sneak up on anybody this year, and without Brett back there I think the yards are going to be much tougher to come by.
"Sometime during the Pats game last week, I decided that Tomlinson was the best overall running back of my lifetime. There's nothing he can't do: deadly receiver, tough inside runner, explosive to the outside, you name it." - ESPN's Bill Simmons
tomkatt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby treat24 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:59 pm

I loved Bjax coming out, but I've been pretty disappointed in him. Unlike dgan, I don't see much of a rbbc at all in GB. Grant's an RB2, no question... I think the offensive scheme for Aaron and Aaron's play are the key. I see more of a reliance on running and dump offs. So do other teams. They will stack because of it. You pointed out what I really hope Rodgers can improve on... getting rid of the dang ball.

this point by dgan... is a great point...

dgan wrote:- So far, the Oline interior has not shown any improvement over last year. Clifton and Tauscher at the Tackles are another year older and have clearly begun to lose some athleticism. This combined with a QB who holds the ball too long and defenses who are anxious to throw more people at you than you can block...not a recipe for success.

I have many friends that are packer fans that rival the pack line to the Vikes line. Personally, I don't think it's in the ballpark and it's not getting better.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Guru13 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:06 pm

TommyZND wrote:

he's an odd guy. :-b

as far as Grant goes, I think there's cause for concern, I wouldn't draft him in the first round anymore, I agree with Treat he'll definitely be slow out of the gate, and with Brandon Jackson looking pretty good thus far (if you saw there first game, you'd know what I was talking about), I think he could be a little bit dissapointing.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:35 am

Being a fan of two teams in the same division? That's kind of like pissing in the wind, isn't it? :-S
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk