Who has impressed you in preseason so far? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who has impressed you in preseason so far?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Who has impressed you in preseason so far?

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:18 pm

If you landed Josh Morgan before the pre-season in dynasty drafts you may of gotten lucky because he either didn't get drafted or was drafted late...For the guys who are having dynasty drafts right now don't expect that to continue to happen...He's already gotten compared to Anquan Boldin, and while early, it is certainly worth noting for a late rd rookie WR to continue to play impressive from OTA's all the way into pre-season...He has been getting showered with praise from both Martz and Nolan, and he has grasp Martz's complex playbook and been able to start the last few games vs starting caliber corners, I think he has a very bright future and in this offense you could reap benefits sooner then later...I have been following him since early in the spring so he didn't come out of nowhere, I thought it was coach talk at first but he has really been their best WR up to this point, and Martz, Nolan, the beat writers, and Pat Kirwan who paid a visit to their camp all felt the same.

Sorry to keep mentioning CJ2 but he's ready, and i think we are looking at a Brandon Marshall 2nd year type breakout...Having Roy makes his job alot easier as I'm pretty sure Roy still gets the #1 DB, and all you have to do is watch him to see how unstoppable he looks out there..Its not a stretch to think he can reach 10+ TD's without much of a problem but I expect more around 13, hopefully his catches and yds continue to rise as well.

Felix Jones and Chris Johnson - Two similiar players in their roles but different styles...Felix has been as advertised with his agility and quickness, and it is amazing the ratio of big plays he will have out of the few touches he will get, no need to worry about him not getting the ball because Jerry Jones and Garrett love this guy...He will see plenty looks all over the field, and hopefully all the 3rd downs(although that was Barber's strength Felix can make something out of nothing)..Chris Johnson is carving out a nice role in the offense, but when he gets a seam its a TD its over, I think he has showed up to this point he is a serious playmaker...When I see him play I think this is what Bush was supposed to be, CJ just has some elite speed and doesn't need much room or many chances to score a long TD.

Miles Austin is another guy that has REALLY impressed me...I have always felt he was the potential guy with Dallas, 4.3 speed great frame at 6'3 220, can jump out of the roof, he could never catch anything that was thrown his way in a live game though...I watched both games thus far and he looks like a complete WR with a very high ceiling who hasn't maxed out all his potential...He caught everything with his hands away from his body, the TD catch in the endzone was indictive of how he could be used this year, and he had quite a few crucial 3rd down catches where he soared in the air and secured the ball...Sucks he sprained his MCL so he is looking at missing the last 2 pre season games and maybe a game into the season, but long term value I love what I see there and he far exceeded my expectations for him.

Tim Hightower - He's a stud in the making.
Lavelle Hawkins - People are scared because the WR situation is crowded, but he's a playmaker and will emerge as the go to guy down the line.
Santonio Holmes - More then likely will put up WR1 numbers this year, he's been great value in drafts the past 2 years, that will stop soon.
Jay Cutler - Amazing how much further along he is then two guys who went ahead of him, can you imagine him on the Cardinals? He will be great with or without Marshall.
Eddie Royal - On the subject of Broncos he looks like a Santana Moss clone, he is with a QB who can get him the ball, and he is progressing at a good speed for a rookie WR.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby croutonjack » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:36 pm

I'd have to say DeSean Jackson looks very good as a sleeper because with Reggie Brown hurt and LJ Smith's history of getting hurt, the only competition he really has (besides McNabb's love to dump the ball off to Westbrook in the backfield) is Hank Basket and Jason Avant...so he'll be a good late pickup

I'm not sold on Michale Turner becaue he plays for the Falcons and they just flat out suck...but you have to say that his 113 yards on 4 carries against the Colts first string defense is pretty damn impresssive...but don't expect him to have games like this every week...maybe 1 or 2 weeks this season he will break out and subsequently, these will be the only games that the Falcons win.

Jamarcus Russell looks solid this year now that he has a full training camp under his belt...i think with him, Zach Miller, Darren McFadden, and Fargas, the raiders will be prettt good this year (I mean, a lot better than last year but definitely not good enough to take them to the super bowl)
croutonjack
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby LeBron James » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:04 pm

Great list so far guys. I will target some of these guys in the later founds for sure. I'm just pissed this is the first year I discovered this forum. :~(

Yeah, I like Josh Morgan too. He could be my late round sleeper. And also the other guys could be nice pick-ups. Andre Hall looks good, now that Torain is out half the year and Selvin Young is the only other RB.

I can't remember the last year where there was so many rookie RBs that can potentially make a huge impact this year. There's about 10 or 11 of them??? That's crazy. :-*
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby Guru13 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:53 pm

croutonjack wrote:I'd have to say DeSean Jackson looks very good as a sleeper because with Reggie Brown hurt and LJ Smith's history of getting hurt, the only competition he really has (besides McNabb's love to dump the ball off to Westbrook in the backfield) is Hank Basket and Jason Avant...so he'll be a good late pickup

You don't consider Kevin Curtis competition?
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Ablack86 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:09 pm

This Hixon guy has impressed me.... 3 TD's in the first quarter..... granted Cleveland looked TERRIBLE....
Ablack86
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:39 pm

Actually Im kind of in love with JT O'Sullivan. I know everyone above me is loving Morgan, but O has looked pretty good so far in the preseason (those last two drives in GB were special) and you have to love any Martz QBs. Im grabbing him as a backup QB flier in a number of leagues .
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:30 am

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:Actually Im kind of in love with JT O'Sullivan. I know everyone above me is loving Morgan, but O has looked pretty good so far in the preseason (those last two drives in GB were special) and you have to love any Martz QBs. Im grabbing him as a backup QB flier in a number of leagues .

I'm not drafting O'Sullivan as a fantasy quarterback, but I'm certainly pulling for him. My wife went to UC Davis with J.T. and we'd both love to see him sneak up on everyone and take the gig outright. Thus far, there's no question he has the best knowledge of Mike Martz' offensive system, and he does seem to like throwing the ball to Josh Morgan. Should be very interesting to see how the QB situation in SF pans out. Personally, I think O'Sullivan has a pretty decent chance of taking the job. It's not like Hill or Smith have shown anything worth a crap against the second and third team defenses they've faced.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TommyZND » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:46 am

Domenik Hixon looked pretty sexy tonight for me. Im starting hines ward in one of my leagues, so i was in the market for a better WR. Tyree and Toomer did their job last year but i dont think they are for sure starters, i have really high hopes for this dude.
MY TEAMS:
NCAA- Fighting Irish
NFL- Steelers
MLB- Pirates
NBA- Knicks
TommyZND
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby GiantsFanNJ » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:22 am

Great stuff guys.....

I alos like CJ2 allot...
Chris Johnson is going to outscore LW
Antonio Bryant is flying under everyones radar....not for long...
Cutler is going to go off this year.....
L.Robinson will end up being Ryans go to guy....at some point moving forward
GiantsFanNJ
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby J.C.Fighter » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:36 am

Alot of these guys won't amount to much this season. I remember last year when a million sleepers were mentioned and like 2-3 panned out....
J.C.Fighter
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk