Kiffin vs Davis - more unrest in Oakland? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kiffin vs Davis - more unrest in Oakland?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Kiffin vs Davis - more unrest in Oakland?

Postby stomperrob » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:20 pm

Getting interesting...

Inman: Does Raiders coach Kiffin want confrontation with Al Davis?
By Cam Inman
Article Launched: 08/17/2008 06:57:11 PM PDT

RAIDERS COACH LANE Kiffin's piercing quotes over the past month — including Sunday's latest installment — suggest he's begging to get fired.

So, is he?

"I'm trying to win," Kiffin responded Sunday.

Win what, exactly? Games, or his own freedom?

Probably both. But he's here now, so he's taking a daring route to shake up a franchise that's gone an atrocious 19-61 since a 2002 run to the Super Bowl, including a 4-12 mark last season in Kiffin's debut as Raiders coach.

It's not just that he's repeatedly critiquing his team and its high-priced players. Several comments are not-so-veiled taunts toward his boss, managing general partner Al Davis.

Kiffin insists he's become outspoken because "the other way hasn't worked around here for the last five years."

The latest salvo came Sunday. Kiffin again took dead aim at the roster Davis has crafted, one that features "borderline guys" who'd make the cut "because we don't have anybody else."

"You've got to be willing to release 'em and live with it, and pick other people up for more competition," Kiffin said.

This isn't the first time Kiffin has reminded everyone he is not responsible for this roster, or specifically, the ridicule that followed this offseason's spending spree. (Memo to Al: Your next trick should be to sign gold-medal sprinter Usain Bolt for that poor receiving corps.)

con't...

rest of article: http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_10232241

Kiff’s big stand
By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Monday, August 18th, 2008 at 4:15 pm in Oakland Raiders.

One thing I think I’ve learned about Lane Kiffin is he is not a spontaneous guy. He thinks about what he says, how he says it and has a good idea how it will be perceived.

So if you want to believe Kiffin isn’t taking veiled jabs at Al Davis over the personnel issue, be my guest. The 80-man roster is an issue all over the league, but when asked why the Raiders looked at so many more players last year, Kiffin’s response was clear.

“You’ve got to be willing to release people,” Kiffin said. “When guys are in the training room, they’re not out here practicing, you’ve got to be willing to release ‘em and live with it and pick other people up for more competition.”

Release people. The league doesn’t release people. Teams release people.

I’ve covered the Raiders for 13 years and one thing has remained constant. If you’re from a local newspaper, particularly one with an “Oakland” affiliation, and write something about the coach that puts him in a bad spot with the owner, there is a follow-up phone call from either the P.R. department, an administrative assistant or even the coach himself.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.ibabuzz.com/raidersblog/2008 ... big-stand/

Coach Kiffin has no power to upgrade Raiders roster
By Steve Corkran
Contra Costa Times
Article Launched: 08/17/2008 07:03:24 PM PDT

NAPA — Cornerback John Bowie hasn't practiced for almost three weeks. Wide receiver Arman Shields has missed more practice time than he has participated in. Cornerback DeAngelo Hall is practicing with an injured right hand.

Too often in practice, players are dropping passes, missing tackles, jumping offsides and doing things that make Raiders coach Lane Kiffin ponder, What if?

What if he had free rein to cut players he deemed unworthy of being on the 80-man roster? What if he had the latitude to bring in a steady stream of players as a means of pushing those already here? What if he wasn't compelled to watch the same mistakes almost on a daily basis?

"There's not very much competition on this field," Kiffin said after a lackluster practice Sunday. "Some guys have been released at other places, and people are picking them up. You'd like to pick up some of those guys and bring them in, because they've been in other camps, and push some of our guys.

"Unfortunately, there are some guys right now on our roster that are borderline guys that, as of today, would make it just because we don't have anybody else."

con't...

rest of article: http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_10232282
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Kiffin vs Davis - more unrest in Oakland?

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:33 am

I don't know if I feel very sorry for Kiffin in this situation. He knew damn well what he was getting into, considering Davis has lived up to his iron fisted reputation for years now. I realize it was an opportunity for Kiffin to make a name for himself, but he had to understand the risks involved. It's been said before, but it's so sad to see how such a tremendous football mind like Al Davis has become a shell of his former self.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Football Talk