seriously I'm having a bad day... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

seriously I'm having a bad day...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: seriously I'm having a bad day...

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:44 pm

Isn't there specific products marketed as oven cleaners? Their purpose is to break away the crud that gets baked onto the cooking surface. I'd definitely try to buy some of that, probably cheaper. :-B
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby moonhead » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:48 pm

craigs list.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Guru13 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:48 pm

Metroid wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
Metroid wrote:What? Replace the oven? Because you got some melted plastic in there? Scrape that crap out. :-?

seriously, that's what I said, but my parents somehow convinced me that there was no way we could get it all out and obviously if there's nasty plastic in there, cooking stuff won't be so great...me thinks they just want a new oven. :-?

Yeah I'd just scrape it all out and then crank it up to broil for couple hours, any residue would be cooked off I'd think. :-?

ya we put it on the clean thing which is like 10x hotter than what you would ever cook at, our whole house was hot and that's makin' me think that there can't possibly be anything left in there.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby moonhead » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:51 pm

i wouldn't risk it with plastic either. that is some awful stuff. i don't even microwave plastics. cancer and autism and alzheimers. i would link the rise in those to the proliferation of plastics. but, i have no scientific evidence to back up my theory. perhaps my tin foil hat is too tight. well, i'm off to eat my cous cous and wash it down with some soy milk and some alfalfa juice.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby TheRawDAWG » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:10 pm

I melted a plastic Spatula in my oven once. I scraped it all out while it was still hot then cranked up the oven until it stopped smoking. It made everything stink for a while but open some windows and take a walk....after you have turned off the oven of course.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby knapplc » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:13 pm

moonhead wrote:i wouldn't risk it with plastic either. that is some awful stuff. i don't even microwave plastics. cancer and autism and alzheimers. i would link the rise in those to the proliferation of plastics. but, i have no scientific evidence to back up my theory. perhaps my tin foil hat is too tight. well, i'm off to eat my cous cous and wash it down with some soy milk and some alfalfa juice.

Nah, you're not too far off with that theory. There's certainly a correlation to be drawn, one that we may only guess at right now.

Back in the day (way back in the day, actually), the Romans used this really groovy metal to make their pipes. It was easy to work with, readily available and it had decent durability for the time. They had hot and cold running water in their houses 1,800 years before most other civilizations because of it. Only thing was, they used lead, which as we know today has dire consequences in the concentrations they were getting. It's one of the theories as to the decline of the Roman culture, and their eventual destruction by the barbarians.

Who knows - in 200 years they may say that the decline of Western civilization occurred in part due to poisons we ingested through our prevalent use of plastics.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Munboy » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:59 pm

knapplc wrote:
moonhead wrote:i wouldn't risk it with plastic either. that is some awful stuff. i don't even microwave plastics. cancer and autism and alzheimers. i would link the rise in those to the proliferation of plastics. but, i have no scientific evidence to back up my theory. perhaps my tin foil hat is too tight. well, i'm off to eat my cous cous and wash it down with some soy milk and some alfalfa juice.

Nah, you're not too far off with that theory. There's certainly a correlation to be drawn, one that we may only guess at right now.

Back in the day (way back in the day, actually), the Romans used this really groovy metal to make their pipes. It was easy to work with, readily available and it had decent durability for the time. They had hot and cold running water in their houses 1,800 years before most other civilizations because of it. Only thing was, they used lead, which as we know today has dire consequences in the concentrations they were getting. It's one of the theories as to the decline of the Roman culture, and their eventual destruction by the barbarians.

Who knows - in 200 years they may say that the decline of Western civilization occurred in part due to poisons we ingested through our prevalent use of plastics.

Is there a quiz later?
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby beanoX3 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:13 pm

Munboy wrote:
knapplc wrote:

Is there a quiz later?

My high school chem teacher used to bust out his dinnerware that was from the '40s or something every year to showcase how little we knew about certain stuff back then. He'd walk in with this big lead case, pull out the Geiger counter, and then let us run it over the plates and bowls that were painted in uranium-based paint. Then he'd blow up some hydrogen and squirt some jet fuel onto the counter and light it. Fun times back then, lol.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:14 am

knapplc wrote:Who knows - in 200 years they may say that the decline of Western civilization occurred in part due to poisons we ingested through our prevalent use of plastics.

Possibly but I'm still holding with the proliferation of rap music as the leading cause...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Previous

Return to General Talk