Ever just dominated a draft? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ever just dominated a draft?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ever just dominated a draft?

Postby JasonSeahorn » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:42 pm

TGM wrote:
Azrael wrote:His core players Westbrook, Brady, Boldin, Portis, Moss, Edwards, Welker, Graham, and Heath Miller. Derek Anderson rode the pine for his team all year.

That's one helluva team right there... 8-o Kinda makes you wonder just how much the rest of his league really knew though. I mean, obviously Welker, Graham, and Anderson were WW acquisitions. Or, in Welker's case...a late round flier. But, to get Westbrook, Brady, Portis and Moss in the draft??? Not to mention Boldin and Edwards?

Nonetheless...I bet he sure as hell enjoyed his first experience in the world of FF, huh? ;-)

That core would have been easy to draft based on what people were projecting last year. Probably did Westbrook first, Portis 2nd or 3rd, Brady 2nd or 3rd or 4th, and Moss 3rd or 4th, Boldin 5th. Just goes to show how much difference can be seen in ADP after 1 year.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:30 pm

TGM wrote:
Azrael wrote:His core players Westbrook, Brady, Boldin, Portis, Moss, Edwards, Welker, Graham, and Heath Miller. Derek Anderson rode the pine for his team all year.

That's one helluva team right there... 8-o Kinda makes you wonder just how much the rest of his league really knew though. I mean, obviously Welker, Graham, and Anderson were WW acquisitions. Or, in Welker's case...a late round flier. But, to get Westbrook, Brady, Portis and Moss in the draft??? Not to mention Boldin and Edwards?

Nonetheless...I bet he sure as hell enjoyed his first experience in the world of FF, huh? ;-)

Graham, Welker, and Anderson were WW acquisitions. He drafted the others by round in this order picking 8th in a 10 teamer...

1.8 Westbrook
2.3 Brady
3.8 Boldin
4.3 Portis
5.8 Moss
6.3 Edwards

I wouldn't say that nobody knew what they were doing. It's not like all these guys were expected to be studs. 5 of them won't make it half way through the 2nd round this year. But, remember last year Portis was nicked up and there were rumors that Betts would cut into his carries. He was a late 3rd-early 4th rounder last year. Moss had hammy issues (that I now think were put on to get out of the pre-season work) and there was already speculation as to how he would do in the Pats offense the way Brady spread the ball around. Edwards was not a heavily coveted WR going into last year with the assumption that Quinn as a rookie would eventually work his way in and he'd never really done anything to begin with. Most would say Brady was taken way too early if you asked them to analyze the draft before last season started.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby LeBron James » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:38 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:
TGM wrote:

That core would have been easy to draft based on what people were projecting last year. Probably did Westbrook first, Portis 2nd or 3rd, Brady 2nd or 3rd or 4th, and Moss 3rd or 4th, Boldin 5th. Just goes to show how much difference can be seen in ADP after 1 year.

That's why I wish I could take a time machine to August 2009 and grab a fantasy football magazine. That way, I can dominate THIS year. This year's mags were based on LAST year, not THIS year. So you pretty much have to make up your own list and adjust a little. I mean, if you had taken Adrian Peterson last year at no. 2 overall, people would have thought you lost it or were smoking something good. But that's where he should have went LAST year - at no. 2 overall.

Same thing with Brady, Moss, and B. Edwards. If you took those guys in the first round last year where they belong, you would have been laughed off the draft. So off the top of my head, maybe a Santonio Holmes and a Calvin Johnson could be taken in the first round this year. But we all know that's not going to happen because they can slide a little to later rounds.

If you'll excuse me now I will go work on my time machine.
Last edited by LeBron James on Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:51 pm

The best I can remember was '05. Now it wasn't one of those drafts where I knew I had a good team but man did I dominate. It started at QB where I snagged Palmer for his breakout season. At RB I wasn't great at the start but I had drafted Larry Johnson in every league and he became a beast. Plus I ended up with LT by about week 3. At WR I had Steve Smith for his resurgence and Larry Fitz who had a monster season. And, to top it off, I had Gates.

It was a yahoo league so I'm pretty sure it was standard scoring (which was even stingier back then). I must have won the league by 300-400 points and I won all but 1 (I tied). It was pretty broken.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:56 pm

There is one league that generally funds my other leagues each year. I've been playing with them for 6 years now and have made the playoffs each year.

The trick here is that it is a non-standard format and nobody adjusts their drafting to match the format. In 6 years I've probably won $2,500 from these guys and they just think I'm the luckiest guy in the world. I'm still shocked that I've only won the whole damn thing twice. I guess that just goes to show that the best team still can be beaten 2/3rds of the time in a two game playoff.

:-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:00 pm

biju wrote:There is one league that generally funds my other leagues each year. I've been playing with them for 6 years now and have made the playoffs each year.

The trick here is that it is a non-standard format and nobody adjusts their drafting to match the format. In 6 years I've probably won $2,500 from these guys and they just think I'm the luckiest guy in the world. I'm still shocked that I've only won the whole damn thing twice. I guess that just goes to show that the best team still can be beaten 2/3rds of the time in a two game playoff.

:-D

I love those kinda leagues. I played in one like that couple years ago with some of the strangest rules ever with some of my buddies. It included massive points for return yardage and included IDPs. Some of those DBs were absolute studs. I cleaned up every week.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby LeBron James » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:28 pm

Polar Bear wrote:After recently drafting in a cafe league and reading many of the different strategies here I am in tip top drafting condition. I seriously feel like I am King Leonitus in the movie 300, except without the 200 arrows in my body.

And the 12-pack abs. :-*
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby Polar Bear » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:30 pm

Yeah you're probably right. I'm in pretty good shape, but I am definitely not in THAT shape. Did you see the training that dude did for the movie? Insane.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Archduke Chocula » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:43 pm

The draft I had felt like this, and it was a competitive league.

1. (4) Randy Moss
2. (21) Reggie Bush
3. (28) Darren McFadden
4. (45) Selvin Young
5. (52) Kellen Winslow
6. (69) Donovan McNabb
7. (76) Jerricho Cotchery
8. (93) Felix Jones
9. (100) Anthony Gonzalez
10. (117) Patrick Crayton
11. (124) Chris Johnson
12. (141) Ted Ginn Jr.
13. (148) Ray Rice
14. (165) Eddie Royal

I then took Philly as my D and Kris Brown as my kicker. I can't imagine dropping anyone, unless Romo replays last year and just refuses to throw to Crayton or if Felix Jones is a huge bust.
Archduke Chocula
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:51 pm

Archduke Chocula wrote:The draft I had felt like this, and it was a competitive league.

1. (4) Randy Moss
2. (21) Reggie Bush
3. (28) Darren McFadden
4. (45) Selvin Young
5. (52) Kellen Winslow
6. (69) Donovan McNabb
7. (76) Jerricho Cotchery
8. (93) Felix Jones
9. (100) Anthony Gonzalez
10. (117) Patrick Crayton
11. (124) Chris Johnson
12. (141) Ted Ginn Jr.
13. (148) Ray Rice
14. (165) Eddie Royal

I then took Philly as my D and Kris Brown as my kicker. I can't imagine dropping anyone, unless Romo replays last year and just refuses to throw to Crayton or if Felix Jones is a huge bust.

That draft isn't that good assuming it's a 12 man league. Moss is probably a reach at 4. Bush is a reach in the 2nd unless it's PPR. McFadden and Young aren't so good either, especially McFadden in the 3rd. McNabb at 6 kinda sucks. Only good pick is Cotch at 7.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk