Ever just dominated a draft? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ever just dominated a draft?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ever just dominated a draft?

Postby dgan » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:32 pm

Something about this topic bugs me. I don't see how you can dominate unless you're playing a bunch of idiots in a Yahoo Public league or something. Anyone with half a brain can find a cheat sheet among the billions of fantasy resources, fill their starting roster, and get lucky with some late round picks. You don't have to make great picks to have a competitive team. Any owner that can simply avoid horrible picks is going to be at least respectable.

Can you feel good about your draft, and that you made good decisions? Sure. Dominate? I think if you feel like you just dominated a draft, you're either a little too into yourself or you need to find a more competitive league.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:48 pm

dgan wrote:Something about this topic bugs me. I don't see how you can dominate unless you're playing a bunch of idiots in a Yahoo Public league or something. Anyone with half a brain can find a cheat sheet among the billions of fantasy resources, fill their starting roster, and get lucky with some late round picks. You don't have to make great picks to have a competitive team. Any owner that can simply avoid horrible picks is going to be at least respectable.

Can you feel good about your draft, and that you made good decisions? Sure. Dominate? I think if you feel like you just dominated a draft, you're either a little too into yourself or you need to find a more competitive league.

And what's wrong with bragging that you crushed a bunch of greenhorns? :-D
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dgan » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:11 pm

Who knows himself a braggart, Let him fear this; for it will come to pass
That every braggart shall be found an ass.
- Shakespeare

:-b
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:13 pm

dgan wrote:Who knows himself a braggart, Let him fear this; for it will come to pass
That every braggart shall be found an ass.
- Shakespeare

:-b

By quoting Shakespeare you're bragging about your knowledge.

Shameful ;-)
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:22 am

I never get this feeling with football since it seems to be such a crapshoot, but one of my baseball drafts, I thought I had cleaned house. Hanley Ramirez AND Matt Holiday, then Ryan Braun, Lackey, Morneau, Figgins, Corey Hart, and on and on. My team was loaded. Then, I started getting my clocked cleaned by injuries. Lackey soon hits the DL, Chris Young takes a line drive off the face, the offensive core of my team underperforms as a whole, and all of a sudden, my no weakness god team is sitting in 7th. I've just now battled back to first, but I'm down two closers with Capps hurts and Huston Street finished.

Even the best drafts on paper don't always perform.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Polar Bear » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:42 am

dgan wrote:Something about this topic bugs me. I don't see how you can dominate unless you're playing a bunch of idiots in a Yahoo Public league or something. Anyone with half a brain can find a cheat sheet among the billions of fantasy resources, fill their starting roster, and get lucky with some late round picks. You don't have to make great picks to have a competitive team. Any owner that can simply avoid horrible picks is going to be at least respectable.

Leave it to the cafe to rain on someone else's parade with their snotty little "find a more competitive league talk." I believe that I made it clear that this league was a very casual league. Did you read my first post or just the title before you typed up this gem above me? Dude I am in 5 leagues this year and that is my limit. Four are very competitive leagues, this one was not. It was just a bunch of guys who casually follow football and they enjoy fantasy football. Everyone stays pretty active but people don't come with stacks of cheat sheets. They invited me in this league, I was fresh off of a cafe league draft and a 16 team competitive IDP league marathon draft. I could not have been more prepared.

Here is my roster:

QB: Carson Palmer
RB: LT
RB: Marshawn Lynch
WR: Braylon Edwards
WR: Marques Colston
TE: Tony Gonzalez
W/R: Wes Welker (tentative)

D: Will Witherspoon
D: Ernie Sims
D: Donnie Edwards
DB: LaRon Landry
DB: Michael Huff
DL: Zach Thomas
DL: Paul Puz.

BN: Thomas Jones
BN: Nate Burleson
BN: Kevin Smith
BN: Jake Delhomme
BN: Dwayne Bowe
BN: Julius Jones
BN: Robert Meachem
BN: Vernon Davis

I never draft a bench for defensive players because I can usually spot start a few and get a similar result.

That is a stacked roster and by the 10th round I felt as though I should not even be in the league because these guys were just not informed. Look at my bench, I have great depth at every position and if for some reason I do get hammered with injuries I have plenty of resources to trade away. On paper nobody is close to me.

I don't think I am some amazing fantasy expert for drafting this team. I just think that a competitive player like me, who was well prepared due to being in a couple of very competitive leagues, probably should not have played in a casual league such as this. If any one of you had played in this same league the same result would have occurred. By the 8th round many of these guys were struggling to name players and I was struggling over taking Bowe or Burleson and then I scrapped both of them when I realized Welker was still on the board. I ended up with both Bowe and Burleson on my roster.

That was really my question. In a competitive league it is impossible to dominate a draft because everyone is so informed, but have any of you ever backed into a guppie league and just rolled through it?
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Goody » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:06 pm

Archduke Chocula wrote:The draft I had felt like this, and it was a competitive league.

1. (4) Randy Moss
2. (21) Reggie Bush
3. (28) Darren McFadden
4. (45) Selvin Young
5. (52) Kellen Winslow
6. (69) Donovan McNabb
7. (76) Jerricho Cotchery
8. (93) Felix Jones
9. (100) Anthony Gonzalez
10. (117) Patrick Crayton
11. (124) Chris Johnson
12. (141) Ted Ginn Jr.
13. (148) Ray Rice
14. (165) Eddie Royal

I then took Philly as my D and Kris Brown as my kicker. I can't imagine dropping anyone, unless Romo replays last year and just refuses to throw to Crayton or if Felix Jones is a huge bust.

You felt you dominated this draft?

Your RB are very weak for taking Moss at #4. The earliest he should be going is late 1st and that is reaching. You could have landed a stud RB with the #4 pick. Now your starting RB are Bush and McFadden/Young. Not a good duo IMO with the #4 pick. Who were the 3 players taken before you in the 1st rd? Bush was a reach in the 2nd and Mcfadden was definitely a reach in the 3rd, especially at 3.04. Who knows though, you may get lucky and one of them has breakout season...but as far as drafting, your team looks weak in a 12 team league.

As stated already, your best pick in the draft was cotch in the 7th.
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guru13 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:41 pm

My money league draft is tonight, it's really a bunch of amateurs, I owned the draft last year, I think I went rb/rb/rb in the first 3 round just because they all felt the need to grab a qb early, if Ronnie Brown hadn't got hurt I would've won every game by 30 points, as it turned out I lost the championship game by one point because of Reggie Wayne's fumble, yes that's right I get Wayne after I went rb/rb/rb. :-b :-D

edit: my starters week 1 were -
qb - Favre
rb - LJ
rb - Travis Henry
rb - Ronnie Brown
wr - Wayne
wr - Andre Johnson
te - Cooley

now don't get me wrong, my running backs sorta fell apart because of injury, but you gotta admit, week
one that looks pretty good.

edit again: and I picked up grant mid way through, which pretty much took me to the championship game.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby mystykoekaki » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:36 pm

Since beginning fantasy football I always draft a top 3 team, always. Basically I spend 2-3 months researching, trying out new strategies, do alot of mock drafting, and talking with alot of people.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dgan » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:26 pm

Polar Bear wrote:Leave it to the cafe to rain on someone else's parade with their snotty little "find a more competitive league talk." I believe that I made it clear that this league was a very casual league. Did you read my first post or just the title before you typed up this gem above me?

Polar Bear wrote:I just think that a competitive player like me, who was well prepared due to being in a couple of very competitive leagues, probably should not have played in a casual league such as this.

Isn't that exactly what I said in my post? If you back into a guppie league and 'dominate', I don't think that is something to brag about. If you're just commenting on how preparation makes you a better drafter, that's ok I suppose. But not exactly breaking news.

Anyway, I didn't mean anything by it. I'm as much of a trash talker as the next guy. But just because I say my team is the best doesn't mean I really believe it. I think experience in fantasy football, if anything, makes you find or even imagine weaknesses in your draft. So even though you're talking smack, you're really already trying to think of ways to improve your team.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk