Ever just dominated a draft? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ever just dominated a draft?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ever just dominated a draft?

Postby bobbing_headz » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:01 am

h2wm wrote:A lot of solid fantasy football talk going on in here, and it reminds me of the league I just drafted in. It's a normal, competitive ten team Yahoo league, but I knew something was wrong when Brian Westbrook and Joseph Addai were picks No. 9 and No. 10 overall. Steve Smith and Brandon Marshall were early third round picks, and Terry Glenn (yes, the one who isn't on a team) was a fourth round pick.

Also, I was able to draft Willis McGahee in the late seventh round. Free agents RBs include Selvin Young, Felix Jones and Justin Fargas among many others. I just don't have enough roster spaces to keep all these good players haha. Somehow I'll end up losing, and that's the humble thing about fantasy football...just when you think you know it all.

You bring up an interesting point that dominating the draft, even in a league filled with less knowledgeable owners, does not necessarily guarantee winning. I think the far far more important aspect, and there should be a thread discussing this instead, is dominating in-season waivers and trades. 2 Years ago I drafted a 12 team league (auction though so a little different). My draft unfolded like a horrific train wreck with my top RB Lamont Jordan being a colossal bust and my next 2, Domanick Davis and Curtis Martin not even suiting up. I basically had 0 RBs. Somehow though, I absolutely dominated the waiver wire, snagging Jones-Drew and Fred Taylor as a potent 1-2 combo and Travis Henry for his breakout year in Tennessee. Through trades I added Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson and Willis McGahee, having no doubt the deepest RB corps in the league. Then I grabbed Colston as my TE who was just filthy and Lee Evans off WW as an awesome WR3. Of course such a feat is far far easier in a league full of less knowledgeable or committed owners but dominating in-season moves far and away trumps having a dominant draft, unless of course you can magically read the future. ;-)
Last edited by bobbing_headz on Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby croutonjack » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:01 am

This guy in my draft last year had Romo, Moss, TO, I think Steven Jackson, Chargers D, basically every possible #1 or 2 player at the position, he had. He was beating people by at least 20 points every game. The thing that made me mad then was the week that Adrian Peterson got hurt, he picked up Chester Taylor because our league didn't have any restrictions on when you could pick players up...I think he lost in the playoff though...that made me happy
croutonjack
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bobbing_headz » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:10 am

croutonjack wrote:This guy in my draft last year had Romo, Moss, TO, I think Steven Jackson, Chargers D, basically every possible #1 or 2 player at the position, he had. He was beating people by at least 20 points every game. The thing that made me mad then was the week that Adrian Peterson got hurt, he picked up Chester Taylor because our league didn't have any restrictions on when you could pick players up...I think he lost in the playoff though...that made me happy

So we're basically getting two distinct types of accounts here. Those like Croutonjack's post-season recount of teams drafted that ended up finding all the breakout guys for value and those like Fantasyguru's posts where people feel they've dominated immediately after the draft. Perceived dominance vs. actual dominance. Interesting.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby jayrob33 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:37 am

hahahahahaha....i cant stop laughing...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

dgan wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
jayrob33 wrote:are you in a 2 man league????????????

Nothing like the classic, pompous, annoying Cafe response. :-° :-°

Nothing like the classic "pompous cafe response" response. :-B
jayrob33
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Guru13 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:19 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:
croutonjack wrote:This guy in my draft last year had Romo, Moss, TO, I think Steven Jackson, Chargers D, basically every possible #1 or 2 player at the position, he had. He was beating people by at least 20 points every game. The thing that made me mad then was the week that Adrian Peterson got hurt, he picked up Chester Taylor because our league didn't have any restrictions on when you could pick players up...I think he lost in the playoff though...that made me happy

So we're basically getting two distinct types of accounts here. Those like Croutonjack's post-season recount of teams drafted that ended up finding all the breakout guys for value and those like Fantasyguru's posts where people feel they've dominated immediately after the draft. Perceived dominance vs. actual dominance. Interesting.

perceived dominance? :-b :-B come one man I got Marshall in the 8th and Lendale in the 7th, that is dominating. ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby bobbing_headz » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:40 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
bobbing_headz wrote:

perceived dominance? :-b :-B come one man I got Marshall in the 8th and Lendale in the 7th, that is dominating. ;-D

Just wait till both tear their ACLs in week 3 :-D
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Kilroy » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:55 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:

Dominance of inferior opposition isn't dominance....it's picking on the slow kids. :-D

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Guru13 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:24 pm

Kilroy wrote:
bobbing_headz wrote:

Dominance of inferior opposition isn't dominance....it's picking on the slow kids. :-D

they're not slow...or well, perhaps a bit, they're just drunks. :-b
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby bagobonez » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:01 pm

I had a pretty sweet draft last year. My roster looked like this...

QB Tony Romo
RB Steven Jackson
RB Clinton Portis
WR Randy Moss
WR Terrell Owens
TE Chris Cooley
PK Mason Crosby
DEF Giants

What's crazy is that if Jackson had played last year like he did in '06 I might have gone undefeated. Romo, Portis and Moss were clearly the steals as I got them much later than where they'd be drafted today. But I did win the league so I'm not complaining.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby biju » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:09 am

biju wrote:There is one league that generally funds my other leagues each year. I've been playing with them for 6 years now and have made the playoffs each year.

The trick here is that it is a non-standard format and nobody adjusts their drafting to match the format. In 6 years I've probably won $2,500 from these guys and they just think I'm the luckiest guy in the world. I'm still shocked that I've only won the whole damn thing twice. I guess that just goes to show that the best team still can be beaten 2/3rds of the time in a two game playoff.

:-D

Well, I had my draft for this league today and I've got very mixed feelings about my results. The rest of the teams actually did some friggin homework this offseason, but I still got away with a team I feel good about. 12 teams, starting lineup is 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WRs, TE, D, K. We are also *forced* to pick 2 QBs, 3 RBs, 4 WRs, and 2 TEs, Ds, and Ks. After 6 years of trying, I successfully lobbied to get that removed for next year. But as of now here's my team (12th pick):

QB: Jay Cutler, JaMarcus Russell
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew, Larry Johnson, Thomas Jones
WR: Terrell Owens, Braylon Edwards, Lee Evans, Anthony Gonzalez
TE: Jason Witten, Greg Olsen
D: Patriots, Packers
K: Phil Dawson, and someone else...I can't remember

Anyway, not as strong as I would like for this league. I'm weak at QB and RB IMO, but strong elsewhere. This is a case of NOT feeling like I dominated...my WR/WR strategy was bunk as too many WRs fell to my 3/4 picks and I could have landed a much better RB. Someone be nice and tell me I'll survive with those RBs...

:-o
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Football Talk