Breakout WRs this year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Breakout WRs this year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Breakout WRs this year?

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:28 am

Good call on Davone Bess. I really liked him as a WR in college. Not sure if he'll get the reps, especially this year, but he'd be worth it as like a 25th round pick in a dynasty or something....
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant


Posts: 635
Joined: 17 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Breakout WRs this year?

Postby Niffoc4 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:04 am

Saw Kevin Walter on one of the lists, and I want to second him. Houston's offense will feature a lot of throwing... and may not have a healthy Andre Johnson for long.
Niffoc4
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 44
Joined: 26 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Breakout WRs this year?

Postby Jackalope » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:27 pm

What about Anthony Gonzalez (esp. if Harrison is unable to stay healthy ) and Patrick Crayton as teams attempt the near impossible in covering Owens in Dal.

What I like about these two (although they may not be quite as under the radar as some of the WR's mentioned) is that these offenses IND/DAL put the ball in the air quite often.

I also like Gage's potential in Ten. He and VYoung seemed to have something going towards the end of last season.
Jackalope
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff


Posts: 148
Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Breakout WRs this year?

Postby Munboy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:51 pm

It's funny to say, but both the Jets and Fins upgraded at QB.

That being said, cotchery should break out and Coles should put up the best numbers of his career.

I really like Ted Gin JR. He looked sharp with Penny on the first team this last preseason game.

Lance Moore in NO is listed opposite Colston on the depth chart. If that holds true, he should break out this season. If Duece stays healthy, he'll help Bush take pressure off Brees, and with the addition of Shockley, he should get a few single coverages. If Moore loses the starting job to Henderson, then Henderson should break out. Basically, whoever's opposite Colston
Image
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1934
Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Breakout WRs this year?

Postby Felix the Cat » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:53 pm

I like Sam Hurd over Patrick Crayton in Dallas. IMO we saw Crayton's ceiling last season when he was filling in for Terry Glenn, there's no reason to believe that he'll do anything spectacular with essentially the same situation this season.

Hurd is also entering the magical 3rd season.
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 886
Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: University of Florida, Gator Nation, USA

Re: Breakout WRs this year?

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:29 pm

Felix the Cat wrote:I like Sam Hurd over Patrick Crayton in Dallas. IMO we saw Crayton's ceiling last season when he was filling in for Terry Glenn, there's no reason to believe that he'll do anything spectacular with essentially the same situation this season.

Hurd is also entering the magical 3rd season.




While Sammy has a higher ceiling, there is no reason to believe Crayton will just fall off the map and not produce again...Outside of TO Crayton has had the best camp of any Cowboy WR, caught nearly everything thrown his way, running sharp routes, he has only improved on his overall play last year, I mean you have got to keep in mind he was a 7th rd draft pick converted Qb so he had a learning curve himself but he's improved every season thus far...I don't see any reason why that won't continue, especially with how he really stepped it up this off-season...I am very high on Hurd, and think he is worth drafting late because he will have some huge games, but he isn't ready to surpass Crayton's output in production this year, Crayton is a very safe bet to improve on all of his numbers which were very solid last year.
Image
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 5373
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Arlington, Texas

Re: Breakout WRs this year?

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:45 pm

LS2throwed wrote:
Felix the Cat wrote:I like Sam Hurd over Patrick Crayton in Dallas. IMO we saw Crayton's ceiling last season when he was filling in for Terry Glenn, there's no reason to believe that he'll do anything spectacular with essentially the same situation this season.

Hurd is also entering the magical 3rd season.




While Sammy has a higher ceiling, there is no reason to believe Crayton will just fall off the map and not produce again...Outside of TO Crayton has had the best camp of any Cowboy WR, caught nearly everything thrown his way, running sharp routes, he has only improved on his overall play last year, I mean you have got to keep in mind he was a 7th rd draft pick converted Qb so he had a learning curve himself but he's improved every season thus far...I don't see any reason why that won't continue, especially with how he really stepped it up this off-season...I am very high on Hurd, and think he is worth drafting late because he will have some huge games, but he isn't ready to surpass Crayton's output in production this year, Crayton is a very safe bet to improve on all of his numbers which were very solid last year.


Hurd? Really? Wasn't Austin supplanting him as the 3rd WR in Dallas before his injury? Austin was having a great preseason and he has the speed the Cowboys want out of that 3rd WR. I don't even think Hurd will be on this team next year. I'd take Austin before Hurd even with the injury.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1599
Joined: 16 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Up in Canada

Re: Breakout WRs this year?

Postby jimmyvegas » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:33 am

only b/c i was working tonight and didnt catch the game...did josh morgan play tonight? dont see his name in the stats...and hear i heard a national radio guy this week comparing him (with caution) to boldin a few years ago. anyone with scoop on morgan, it would be appreciated. my league drafted early this year, i had already kept marshall and drafted steve smith before he got suspended. overall, im in need of this thread to sustain me the first 2-3 weeks. thanks!
jimmyvegas
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff


Posts: 127
Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Breakout WRs this year?

Postby Kilroy » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:18 am

jimmyvegas wrote:only b/c i was working tonight and didnt catch the game...did josh morgan play tonight? dont see his name in the stats...and hear i heard a national radio guy this week comparing him (with caution) to boldin a few years ago. anyone with scoop on morgan, it would be appreciated. my league drafted early this year, i had already kept marshall and drafted steve smith before he got suspended. overall, im in need of this thread to sustain me the first 2-3 weeks. thanks!


I saw the second half (with Smith at QB) and all I saw was a pass over the middle that Smith left up and damn near got Morgan's block knocked off. After that his night was over, which leads me to think they'd just as soon said block NOT get knocked off.

My guess right now (from what I've read/heard/seen) is that he's the WR2 for the Niners to open the season. Whether or not he can hold off Bryant Johnson for that spot I dunno, but he wouldn't be the first "Who?" receiver to make fantasy waves in a Mad Mike Offense.
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Re: Breakout WRs this year?

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:47 am

TheRawDAWG wrote:Hurd? Really? Wasn't Austin supplanting him as the 3rd WR in Dallas before his injury? Austin was having a great preseason and he has the speed the Cowboys want out of that 3rd WR. I don't even think Hurd will be on this team next year. I'd take Austin before Hurd even with the injury.




Yes Austin was having a good pre-season, and he had a few nice games, but Hurd has been producing in the regular season games, something that Austin previously was not ready for...Hurd scored in the opener last year vs the Giants, and he has been in on crucial 3rd downs and made quite a few big plays in the clutch for a young guy, obviously Austin is the potential guy, and he has a higher ceiling, but I don't know if I trust Austin to make a bigger impact then Hurd this year just yet...Hurd has better hands, catches everything thrown his way, and Romo has shown he will look to Hurd when he's on the field, he's going to be worth a few plays.
Image
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 5373
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Arlington, Texas

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 14:10 hours
(and 37 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact