Why you should draft WR/WR after a top RB in PPR leagues - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Why you should draft WR/WR after a top RB in PPR leagues

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Why you should draft WR/WR after a top RB in PPR leagues

Postby moochman » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:18 am

Setting any strategy relies on the knowledge of your draftmates, draft position,..and on the draft date. If you are in a league of savy Cafe types this and draft late in the year and have a high round pick, ala Treat, you can be left wanting at the RB position.
Drafting earlier helps some becuase some RBs like Turner, T Jones, and McFadden aren't valued as much and can be gotten in 4-5th rounds. If I have a top 3 pick I usually will like to go RB, WR, RB to avoid having an iffy duo. Of course it depends on the RB and WR available.
I think one thing important to remember in PPR leagues is the value of a stud TE. The elite TE are as valuable as 10-20th ranked WRs and are forgotten as people clamor for some second tier WRs. It may not be a bad deal to go LT, Colston, Best RB, then best TE.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby My team is injured » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:18 am

dmacblue wrote:Having planned for months, I went to my $$ PPR live draft last Sunday planning to go LT, WR, WR and then best at 4.12.

Reggie Bush slipped to me at 2.12 and i felt I had to take him over Andre & Chad, as I have Bush as top 10 RB in PPR

I ended with

1.1 LT
2.12 Bush
3.1 Colston
4.12 Megatron
5.1 Winslow

Had Bush NOT been there, I surely would have taken LT/WR/WR.

Sounds nearly identical to how I could see one of my drafts playing out in which I likewise have the 1st pick in a 12 team PPR redraft. In my initial post, I mentioned Bush as the one wildcard RB I could possibly see falling to that spot, and it would be tough to pass up on him there. Out of curiosity, was Marshall available at the 4/5 picks or had he been drafted already?
All of my analysis is based on PPR
My team is injured
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby My team is injured » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:40 am

moochman wrote:I think one thing important to remember in PPR leagues is the value of a stud TE. The elite TE are as valuable as 10-20th ranked WRs and are forgotten as people clamor for some second tier WRs. It may not be a bad deal to go LT, Colston, Best RB, then best TE.

I generally agree on the under-appreciated value of top TEs in PPR leagues. When guys like Gonzo and then Gates were head and shoulders above most of the TE1s in expected production, I was targetting those guys much earlier than most owners. Hell, I took Gates at pick 2.11 two years ago in a 12 team league 8-o . I would have taken him at 3.02 and a WR instead at 2.11 but knew the owner after me was only taking one wideout and guys like Holt and Chad who I had ranked similarly were both on the board. Not like 3.02 is much of a difference anyway. Ironically, I had LT that year as well as LJ went first.

But in a 10 team league this year, I don't see as much a gap as years past between the top TEs (Witten/Winslow/Gates) and the middle guys (Cooley/Shockey/Clark) nor the bottom guys (Heap/Owen Daniels). However, In a 12+ team league, if a top tier TE is available at 4.12, then I plan on strongly considering taking one as you posited.
All of my analysis is based on PPR
My team is injured
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby dmacblue » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:47 am

Marshall went at 4.2 ( 38th overall) as the owner didnt have a WR at that stage having gone

1.11 MB3
2.2 Brees
3.11Jamal Lewis

(note: Our league is QB friednly with 6 pts TD and 2 pt bonuses for TD > 30 yards, so perhaps justifies Brees reach.)

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:15 pm

i never lock myself into a strategy, but i could definately see myself going WR/WR in that situation this year. after the top 10 RB or so nobody really excites me all that much, so i'd have no problem grabbing some Stud WR and taking whatever RB i can get later

in a 10 team non-PPR league with 2 RB, 3WR starters i ended up with the following roster picking 2nd (note: this is more of a casual league)

QB - McNabb, Hass, Schaub (platoon)
RB - Peterson (1.02)
RB - T. Jones (6.09)
WR - Wayne (2.09)
WR - Colston (3.02)
WR - Calvin (4.09)
TE - Witten (5.02)

Notable Backups
Cotchery (7.02)
L. White (8.09)

obviously in a more competitive league i'd have likely ended up with lesser RB, but i'm pretty dang happy with that team
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby t_sweet » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:39 pm

Megatron? That didnt confuse anyone else? Or is this something that when it is explained, I slap my forehead and say "Idiot!!"
QB- Vick
RBs- Forte, Sproles, Martin, K Smith, Ronnie Brown
WRs- Welker, D-Jax, Britt, Mike Williams, Lance Moore, LaFell
TE- Gonzo
K- Jason Hanson
Def- Buf D
t_sweet
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby treat24 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:51 pm

t_sweet wrote:Megatron? That didnt confuse anyone else? Or is this something that when it is explained, I slap my forehead and say "Idiot!!"

Roy Williams nicknamed Calvin Johnson "Megatron" in training camp last year. This year Roy Williams has nicknamed Calvin Johnson "Bolt" in reference to Usain Bolt, Olympic sprinter from Jamaica who just broke the world records in the 100 and 200.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby SniperShot » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:37 pm

Megatron, Bolt, The Freak, Monster,

All are acceptable nicknames in reference to Calvin Johnson in my book.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby bobbing_headz » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:49 pm

I think going RB/WR/WR is almost necessary in a 12 PPR although it hinges on a few things. First, drafting 10-12 I'd almost certainly take Moss/TO/Wayne with one of my first two picks. Not much value at RB, unless I can pair Larry Johnson with Barber, Lynch or Portis then maybe I'd consider. Coming back in the 3rd not much left at RB either. Jacobs and Maroney are pretty much PPR butchers so unless Bush somehow falls no point. Grab one of Smith, Welker, Marshall or Megatron. In the 4th I'd even still consider a WR, one of the aforementioned or possibly Holmes. Still, decent RBs available generally with Jones, Turner, or Graham.

Drafting picks 1-4 same thing goes. Getting a top RB means less incentive for another stud. Grab Edwards/Andre/Fitz in the 2nd. In the 3rd only two RBs I'd consider are MJD and Bush. Grab Colston/Smith or any of the previous WRs. Then in the 4th you can easily grab Turner (if available), Graham, Jones or Parker. Or you can even grab a 3rd WR like Holmes, Bowe, Williams and probably grab Parker, White or Selvin in the 5th, not bad.

Actually drafting middle is still pretty similar, only difference is I generally wouldn't consider going RB/WR/WR/WR unless you're playing a league that starts >3 WRs. Most of the guys I mentioned earlier can be drafted in some capacity here.

I think it all depends on league settings. For example in one league I'm in it's a PPR that starts 3 WR and a W/R flex. That's 4 potential WRs starting. In that league I wouldn't hesitate to go WR 3/4 rounds to start. In another league we only start 2 WRs. There I would be very hesitant to go RB/WR/WR and might even go RB/RB if I needed to.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:10 am

SniperShot wrote:Megatron, Bolt, The Freak, Monster,

All are acceptable nicknames in reference to Calvin Johnson in my book.

I call him Franchise.
I think the Lions are hoping that he can be to this team what Barry Sanders was in his day. That is a player so dynamic that he could lift a team to mediocrity while showing enough breath-taking skill to keep fans coming...and keep them from realizing the short-comings of the team.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk