Survivor football discussion (Week 1) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Survivor football discussion (Week 1)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Survivor football discussion (Week 1)

Postby LeBron James » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:52 pm

UNC_terps wrote:i don't believe in picking road teams and i dont believe in saving teams. Whats the point of saving a team when your dead after week 2.

Yeah, you got a good point there. There's pros and cons of each I guess. Just got to do a balancing act and hope for the best. If you play all your aces first, then you'll be sweating through the rest of the year. But if you pick the close ones and win early, then you might cruise the rest of the way. Tough call, gotta go with your gut a lot. :-o
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:07 pm

Some advice I got in the past was to avoid road teams and avoid divisional matchups.

That being said, I really like 2 games, Philly over STL and SD over Car.

STL is pretty much garbage this year, their defense is pitiful and their O-Line is in shambles. This is a pretty solid pick although SJax coming back today and Curtis injured it's not as good as it looked a few days ago.

SD over Carolina seems like a lock. SD is a legitimate super bowl favorite and their team is just solid everywhere. Carolina has offensive question marks and are missing their best offensive threat (Smith). Seems like a lock.

NE over KC is pretty good and if you're a gambler take the Hawks over Buffalo. The Steelers is not a good game to pick. Houston is too solid this year and the Steelers seem on somewhat of a decline, not the team they were a few years ago when they won.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby UNC_terps » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:11 am

see my philoiphy to using your money teams early is because of 1. teams get on hot streaks and 2. teams like the browns and packers last season. Teams you wouldn't expect to be really solid at the start of the year, become really good teams towards the middle/end of the season and you can use them.
UNC_terps
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LeBron James » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:16 am

UNC_terps wrote:see my philoiphy to using your money teams early is because of 1. teams get on hot streaks and 2. teams like the browns and packers last season. Teams you wouldn't expect to be really solid at the start of the year, become really good teams towards the middle/end of the season and you can use them.

Hmm, some more words of wisdom. I might just take you up on your strategy. I guess I will go with the NEs, and the SDs and the Colts early, then take the suprise teams for a while, by then I could be the only one standing. ;-D

And yeah, I will definitely go with home teams also.
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby LeBron James » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:20 am

UNC_terps wrote:i don't believe in picking road teams and i dont believe in saving teams. Whats the point of saving a team when your dead after week 2.

The rams do have a decent offense which scares me, but Philly has the best secondary in the league so they should match-up well ecspecially if S-jax isnt in shape.

i like pittsburgh too though.

How many of you guys play money survivors? I still think that is the most fun fantasy football around.

I'm going to start my first survivor league this year - $25 buy-in. Not sure how many people, probably around 20, so the pot is pretty big. What about you?
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby moochman » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:23 am

Week 3 of the Exhibition season is the dress rehearsal for the season so I like to wait and see who looks like they have a good plan working before picking winners.
Watch ATL and DET. If the Lions lay a turd vs the Browns and the Falcons play well I might entertain the idea of taking the Falcons over the Lioneers in week one.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby UNC_terps » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:00 pm

LeBron James wrote:

The rams do have a decent offense which scares me, but Philly has the best secondary in the league so they should match-up well ecspecially if S-jax isnt in shape.

i like pittsburgh too though.

How many of you guys play money survivors? I still think that is the most fun fantasy football around.

I'm going to start my first survivor league this year - $25 buy-in. Not sure how many people, probably around 20, so the pot is pretty big. What about you?

I get in an online buy-in of $20, the pot usually ends up in the thousands, so quite a few guys join in. I contemplated getting into that survivor featured in ESPN the Mag a few months ago, but choose against a $100 buy-in for such a risky game.
UNC_terps
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk