Curtis' Injury - Effect on the Eagles? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Curtis' Injury - Effect on the Eagles?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Curtis' Injury - Effect on the Eagles?

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:56 pm

I just got the news that Curtis is having surgery for his hernia and I'm assuming he'll be out at least 5+ weeks. That means that Philly is basically without their top WR for at least 4 games if not more. I wanna see how people think this will effect the offense. I also hear Brown has been having some injury troubles and if he does in fact miss any time Philly basically has no WRs. McNabb is in serious trouble here. I guess this could also help Brown though if he is healthy. More looks maybe?
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Curtis' Injury - Effect on the Eagles?

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:07 pm

Keep bumping up DeSean Jackson.... Avant could be another guy who could be ok given some extra plays on the field...
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:23 pm

Looks like I should have jumped the gun on LJ Smith.

Reggie Brown injured. Kevin Curtis out. We're down to a 3rd stringers at WRs for Philly. I was kinda sold on McNabb, but now I think I will probably have to buy into the thinking that says he is not worth a top10 pick. And Westbrook has to be downgraded as well. This is going to be a green offense in more ways than one.

Honestly, what Eagles player will be undervalued come week 1? All I see are speculative gambles at high prices. Desean Jackson is a rookie and he is looking like the most promising hope for this offense.

I wonder how much the Philly front office is missing TO right about now. Kolb to TO would be better than what they have now by a wide margin.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby My team is injured » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:24 pm

Uggh... the biggest benefactor from this will probably be Desean Jackson. I thought he was getting a bit overhyped recently from a fantasy perspective as there were too many guys to spread the ball around to in an Eagles offense that is generally predicated on doing precisely that. But with the potential he's shown in the pre-season games, specifically with his ability to get open, and this injury to Curtis, Jackson could have a nice bit of upside for a late round pick.

With that being said, I don't think Brown's hamstring is anything major, and while I'm not sure if he'll be going at 100% in the opener, I don't expect him to miss the first game. And I still don't think any RB, WR, or TE in the Eagles offense outside of Westbrook is going to put up great number or has that high of an upside for this season (say, ceilings around high WR3/low WR2 and high TE2/borderline TE1).

And I wouldn't say Mcnabb is in serious trouble. Up until this Curtis injury (where the hell did this come from?, sheesh), I thought Mcnabb was a nice value at QB ranked behind guys like Derek Anderson who I had him outperforming by a substantial amount. His value drops a bit with the Curtis injury, but I'll still take him as my QB1, and I'd expect Curtis back some time in October anyway.

EDIT: this is all contingent on any injury news that comes out on Curtis (missing more time than expected though I don't see anything new coming out in this regard in the next week or 2) and specifically, Brown (if things look worse than anticipated, than Mcnabb takes more of a hit).
All of my analysis is based on PPR
My team is injured
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby dishnivels » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:49 pm

Anyone know if Philly's got enough cap space left to bring in Boldin?

What might that do to Eagles and/or Cardinals players?

Can anybody link an article on Kevin's health? (nvm here's one: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingc ... id=3544707 )

Thanks!
dishnivels
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:14 pm

I don't really think this helps DeSean Jackson as much as some others, even though I have picked him up late in redrafts, I think he is better off in the slot with the outside guys healthy, he's going to struggle versus a team like Green Bay where they press their corners on the line...He probably is better suited not being the primary option and stretching the field, now teams are definately going to focus on him alot more...If Brown's injury isn't too serious I like him to come out of this situation the best.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby eagles21 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:25 pm

Quoting what I wrote in the thread about his injury:

eagles21 wrote:On ESPN 950 sports radio here in Philly, they were just talking to Joe Horn. He said that he'd love to play for the Eagles, among other good things. I'm probably in the minority, but I think Joe could really do well here if we signed him. The West Coast offense won't be a problem since that is what they ran in New Orleans, and he seems to have a lot of respect for McNabb as well as the other receivers. He also said that he is perfectly healthy, and that he wouldn't hassle other teams if he was hurt (although what else is he gonna say if he wants to get signed?). I really don't see the Cardinals letting Boldin go, so if we can get Horn, I say go for it.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:51 pm

Curtis could be out quite awhile. When McNabb had his injury repaired he was done for the year. I can see Curtis missing up to half the season.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby BigBadBrawler » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:31 pm

Man Westy's gonna have to catch 100 balls this season. They just have no one left. LJ Smith defiantely gets a bump, and so does DJax, but McNabb probably spreads the ball around to the rest to where there's probably no one else that's gonna seriously benefit. Maybe run more 2TE sets with Celek? They just don't have a lotta quality pass-catchers left in PHI...
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: The largest Media Market in the country without an NFL Franchise

Postby My team is injured » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:34 pm

If Mcnabb's back to his old form (and by old, I'm simply talking pre-ACL injury in 2006) and Reggie Brown's hamstring doesn't cost him games, then I don't think this hurts Mcnabb all that much. It of course bumps him down a bit, but I still see him as a viable fantasy starter, albeit probably closer to a low-end QB1 than he would have been if Curtis was healthy.

But believe it or not, the Eagles offense around him is actually better sans Curtis than it was in 2006 for the multiple games in which Stalworth missed. The roster is nearly identical with the only real differences being the additions of Desean, Celek, Booker, and Hunt/a new FB while no longer having Mahe and Tapeh. As for the 4 games in which Stalworth sat out, Mcnabb threw for 1199 yards (300 YPG) and 9 TDs vs. 4 INTs. Now, I understand it's a bit different of an outlook for the team going into the season minus Curtis for 4+ weeks vs. the week to week prognosis with Stalworth's hamstring, but Mcnabb has shown in the past he can be successful with this group of guys as well as the former stalwarts of seasons past such as Pinkston, Thrash, and Fred-Ex.

As for fantasy relevance at wideout, while D-jax probably gets the biggest bump, Reggie, if healthy, might have a bit higher ceiling than I was giving him credit for. FWIW, the 4 weeks Stalworth missed in 2006, Brown had either a TD or 100 yds in all 4 including two weeks with both and zero weeks with less than 75 yards receiving.

And in regards to Joe Horn, I say "Pass". The problem with the Eagles receiving corps is that they lack a number 1, not that they don't have adequate depth behind that. I haven't seen anything from Horn recently that would warrant taking him over Brown, Jackson, Avant, or Baskett. Granted, I didn't watch much from the falcons last year so if others have seen differently, then perhaps he still has a bit more left in the tank, but I'm doubtful. Boldin, however, I'd obviously take in a heartbeat, but that would be quite a surprise to me if he actually got moved.
All of my analysis is based on PPR
My team is injured
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk