Curtis' Injury - Effect on the Eagles? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Curtis' Injury - Effect on the Eagles?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Curtis' Injury - Effect on the Eagles?

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:50 am

"we're fine there"

I mean, the team still is better off (relatively) in terms of what they have versus the pinky and trash era. But the problem is, the competition is better. I don't think it will hurt mcnabb that much, he has always spread it around, and has always had crap at the position. Pretty much going to make the D be on the field more IMO.

This is one time Reid needs to get his head out and quit the "we're fine there" bit. Of course he has to say that, as any trade would go up in cost if he panicked. But I hope he is panicked inside. The Eagles have two firsts next year, and an "expendable" player in Lito Sheppard. Although, if I had my druthers, I'd like to keep the D intact and use picks as necessary to pry away someone like Boldin, or make an offer someone couldn't refuse. I know its steep, but I feel like if they don't, they are just pissing away the primes of Donovan and Westbrook, which would be dumb to make some abstract point like Reid sometimes is wont to do. I am a BIG Reid supporter in general, but this time, he needs to against his complacency (stallworth, owens aside) and just make it happen. Given the way he calls the game, I'm stunned that we were so thin that an injury to Kevin Curtis threatens the season. Oh well, maybe Baskett will end up being something.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:13 am

I think Philly needs to keep Lito, I don't know where everyone gets this you only need two good corners, this day and age you need 3 and I wouldn't trade Lito no chance...Not like he hasn't been consistently hurt his career, and injuries can wreck your secondary, with all the teams going spread I would want 3 top notch Corners at all times.

Is there any word on how much time Reggie Brown will miss?
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:01 am

I think this hurts them greatly. Desean just isn't ready and he is very small. Makes them much easier to cover.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby My team is injured » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:13 am

LS2throwed wrote:I think Philly needs to keep Lito, I don't know where everyone gets this you only need two good corners, this day and age you need 3 and I wouldn't trade Lito no chance...Not like he hasn't been consistently hurt his career, and injuries can wreck your secondary, with all the teams going spread I would want 3 top notch Corners at all times.

Is there any word on how much time Reggie Brown will miss?

I've agreed with most of what you've said in this thread, outside the jackson getting jammed at the LOS, at least to the extent you implied. If that becomes a problem, the Eagles can put him in motion more and can still line him up in the slot if desired on 3 wide sets (though Baskett and specifically Avant are better suited for the slot).

But back to this reply, I'd like to not see them trade Lito unless he either returns an adequate nickel CB in such a trade or the Eagles are planning on picking up a FA CB to fill that role (like Ty Law). As much as I want a guy like Boldin, I'd be quite worried about the Eagles starting the season with Hanson as the number 3 CB and Graham/Fontenot/Arrington as the 4, and that's without the added concerns in regards to Samuels' health.

Additionally, it seems that it may likely be the case that if Lito got put in such a trade, it would be moreso as a throw-in and not a centerpiece. In that case, just do the deal with draft picks/lesser players if he's not going to net anywhere near what he should return. If you could say, get Boldin for a 1st and 5th or a 1st and Lito, there's no way in hell to even consider moving Lito. I understand selling him at a bit less value than he's worth due to the rift that's arisen between the team and him, but there's only so low his value should dip, particularly with the consequential lack of depth it leaves the Birds at CB.

And LS, Reid said he expects Brown back for the season opener, but that doesn't necessarily mean much as he, like many coaches, will not divulge much at all on injury situations like this.
All of my analysis is based on PPR
My team is injured
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby JasonSeahorn » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:19 am

Isn't Brian Dawkins also starting to break down? Unless the Eagles have a new project at Safety I don't know about, trying to keep Lito may be the best thing for them. Asante Samuel is not really the role model for good health either.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:39 am

JasonSeahorn wrote:Isn't Brian Dawkins also starting to break down? Unless the Eagles have a new project at Safety I don't know about, trying to keep Lito may be the best thing for them. Asante Samuel is not really the role model for good health either.

yea he is, but he is still good for now. mikell is good, I think considine should be ok as well. You can also move brown to safety if need be. he can lay the wood.

Like I said, I would prefer to keep lito. But, this feels awfully like the teams that got the NFCG with a very strong secondary, good qb, good running, terrible receivers. You need balance to win. Everyone says "D" wins championships, but in reality its being good in all phases. Tough to see the eagles putting tons of points on the board (they should be ok to solid). Problem is, the secondary is now very good, but the pass rush is just ok in my opinion. So, where does that leave you? Again, when you have players like donovan and westbrook in their prime, what are you supposed to do? To be honest, I trust reid to find more adequate replacements for the secondary if needed, than for him to find receivers. The track record says a lot. I mean he drafted Brown and Lito, michael lewis who was good for a bit. Roderick Hood too. Whereas the WR record, spotty at best, but I would say abysmal.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk