Strategy for 18 team league? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Strategy for 18 team league?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Strategy for 18 team league?

Postby schmidty » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:12 pm

I've never been involved in something like this. Normally I wouldn't seek it out, but this is a case of a work league (12 teams last year) that has swelled.

Anyway, I'm trying to wrap my head around how to approach this. Aside from the huge size, everything else is fairly standard (no PPR, roster spots are QB, RBx2, WRx2, TE, K, DEF, 6 bench spots - no flex). I know I have the #3 pick going in ;-D

The top of the draft seems pretty straightforward to me - start off getting elite players to give myself a strong base. Most likely Westy in R1 (unless LT or ADP drop). At the 34th pick in R2 there should be some elite level WRs to be had. After that, it depends upon the value on the board. I don't want to lose track of the QB position. With 30 picks between mine, I'm going to feel the pinch once we get lower than QB10.

Anyway, the troubling thing about 18 teams is that for positions where there's only 1 per team that will get you any points (QB, K, DEF) there won't be enough backups to go around. Even lowly Ks and DEFs. A lot of these managers liked bucking conventional ffb strategy last year, and had backups for those spots on their roster. With more teams, I fully expect by the end of the draft to have absolutely nothing at K and DEF in the free agent pool. Sure, I'd like to take talent at other positions if an early K/DEF run breaks out. But once the first 10 get taken, I'm going to really have to consider taking one myself. And we're not even talking about backups trying to avoid getting a "0" during the bye week (which is a particularly large penalty with only 8 starting roster positions).

Anyway, does anyone have any advice/opinions/experiences? Thanks :-)
schmidty
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 22)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Strategy for 18 team league?

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:25 pm

Here's what I think: You're right about getting a top RB, Westy or whoever is there. In the 2nd or 3rd round I'd seriously consider grabbing a top QB. Brady or Manning will probably be gone but Romo or even Brees would be good. Especially if it's 6/Pass TD, like you said, QBs are gonna be incredibly scarce. For me personally after about QB156 or 16 they don't even get worthy of owning any more. Don't even bother with a backup, with a top QB you won't need one.I'd probably just load up on RBs. I generally feel it's easier to grab sleeper WRs in the mid-late rounds. Don't even worry about kickers or ds. Kickers mean almost nothing and you could easily find a decent D very late.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Strategy for 18 team league?

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:26 pm

Actually the talent pool won't be as bad as you think, I'm in two 20 team leagues that run IDP so from my experience here's a few things I noticed:

Make sure you stock up on RB's, you start two RB's so try to get somebody early that has a clear cut handcuff, if I took Marion Barber I took Tashard Choice pretty late, normally I wouldn't in a 12 team draft but its a must that you protect yourself in leagues this big...Injuries happen and teams will be screwed without Rb help, so I like to have my own RB's secured and maybe a little extra...If you have to take another Rb or two and it makes you a tad weaker at WR at first so be it, you will be able to find guys to play at WR or TE later on, and more then likely teams will be looking to give up WR's straight up for a RB you have on your team that was taken way later.

As far as the QB run, depends on who you want as a starter, you can get an Olsen, or an O'Sullivan, or Campbell really late for just one week, so thats not really that big of an issue...Just look for value, you don't want to reach for guys, if you have a few guys you think will have great value or out perform their ADP go for them(I felt Crayton, Rice, Burleson, Chambers, Meachem were good value if a guy wanted to wait to take a WR or 2)....Just have a board with you with a nice list of late sleepers you are high on, in larger leagues its all about finding productive guys when the talent runs thin, there are going to be some nice guys still available though.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer