Edgerrin James - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Edgerrin James

Moderator: Football Moderators

Edgerrin James

Postby rat_racer » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:50 pm

How much longer will he be a viable fantasy starter? Will Hightower win the starting job from him this year or next year?
rat_racer
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Edgerrin James

Postby dgan » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:25 pm

He's 30 yrs old this season and a carryover from pre-Wisenhunt. He doesn't really seem to fit into Wisenhunt's system, and definately is not in the long term plans. Still, he was among the lead leaders in carries last year.

Part of me wants to say Hightower plays a big role, but I wish I'd seen more evidence of that by now. My guess is neither of these guys carries much fantasy value this year, but I would like Hightower as a sleeper in a keeper league.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby 34=Sweetness » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:37 pm

I know we sort of ignore it, but the guy was a top 10 fantasy RB last year in most scoring system. He's getting up there but he can still be productive, and I think Hightower will still need a year before he becomes a real threat. I think he's getting a bit overrated now because of the preseason, while Edge is vastly underrated.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby dgan » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:56 pm

34=Sweetness wrote:I know we sort of ignore it, but the guy was a top 10 fantasy RB last year in most scoring system. He's getting up there but he can still be productive, and I think Hightower will still need a year before he becomes a real threat. I think he's getting a bit overrated now because of the preseason, while Edge is vastly underrated.

That is a good point. Remember a few years ago when every year people predicted the end of Curtis Martin, watching his ypc go down every year - that Lamont Jordan would take over, but Martin kept proving people wrong. That went on for a few years until people were finally correct in 2005.

Still, I think you're 'top 10' comment is a little misleading. His average points per start put him about 20th. About 15 of those backs ahead of him started at least 14 games. Only a handful were half season type players (ie. LJ, Ronnie Brown). So he is durable, but not exactly dynamite. If this is the year they start giving carries to someone else, that 3.7 ypc and half dozen TDs isn't going to make him very valuable. If he gets 300+ carries again, he'll be a good RB2 for someone just because of volume.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby thriftyrocker » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:14 pm

I see HIghtower getting about 8 carries a game including goalline. Given Edge's value was already low last year, this is really the death knell and I would only draft him as a steady low-upside pick, like Fred Taylor.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:34 am

thriftyrocker wrote:I see HIghtower getting about 8 carries a game including goalline. Given Edge's value was already low last year, this is really the death knell and I would only draft him as a steady low-upside pick, like Fred Taylor.

I snagged him in the 6th and thought he had value there. I see Hightower taking some carries but not all that much. Edge is in a contract year too so I feel he will try to perform well enough to get one more deal before retiring.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Guru13 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:34 am

so it seems like Hightower's got the short yardage/goalline carries for sure, so when's he become startable? Thoughts?
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:42 am

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:so it seems like Hightower's got the short yardage/goalline carries for sure, so when's he become startable? Thoughts?

8 rshes for 13 yards is definately short yardage. That TD saved him. Edge had by far the majority of the carries and yards. I don't see Hightower getting enough carries to warrant a fantasy spot yet. He isn't going to get a TD every game and when he doesn't you score 1-3 points. Maybe later in the year.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby ampant » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:00 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:8 rshes for 13 yards is definately short yardage.

LOL ;-D
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby bagobonez » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:58 pm

What is all this talk about Hightower taking over and Edge not being a good fit in Whisenhunt's sytem? Edgerrin lead the league in carries in Week 1 with 26. Whisenhunt's got full faith in his abilities or he wouldn't be feeding him the rock that often. Not to mention the Cardinals made virtually no offseason efforts to bring someone in to challenge Edge or take over his job. Felix Jones, Reshard Mendenhall and Chris Johnson were all on the board when the Cardinals picked in the draft, and they passed on them all because they still have faith that Edge has something left to give. Sure, Hightower may steal some goal line snaps, but it's not because Edgerrin is washed up.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk