tire storage? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

tire storage?

Moderator: Football Moderators

tire storage?

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:14 pm

There's a person or two around these parts who might be able to answer this question. I have 'summer performance' tires on my car now. I still have the original all-season radials in the garage which I plan to put back on come November time frame. These are just tires, not mothballing an entire car... do I need to do anything special with them to protect them in my garage for a few (five) months? It's not a sealed garage, so they'll suffer the temperatures/humidity that fluctuate during the cold season (indiana). These tires are fairly pricey and don't have a long life (30k'ish) so I want to take care of the investment.

Thanks for any useful advice.
(in the interest of posting roster information, the all-season tires are Goodyear Eagle RST's, the summer tires are Kumho Ecsta SPT's. 235/45/18 for the Goodyears, 245/40/18's for the Kuhmo's.)

I'll bring them inside and let them sit on plastic in the far corner of the living room over the winter if that's what would be best for them. Tires can be expensive!
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: tire storage?

Postby treat24 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:46 pm

i just buy new tires every season and throw the old ones on my tire fire in the backyard :-b

Seriously though, I live in MN and Temp fluctuates a lot (very cold to freezing cold to instant hypothermia inducing temps) and my performance racing tires do fine during the winter months just sitting in my garage. shrug...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:43 pm

When I used to pull my rims and tires off my car for winter, I just stacked them in the corner of a room in my house, but there shouldn't be anything you have to do provided they are sheltered well in your garage. They should hold up just fine, regardless of temperature, as long as they are inside.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:11 am

I would think as long as they're under cover and aren't getting any sort of direct weather on them, rain, snow, sleet, etc. that they should be fine. You could always call a tire store or two to make sure though. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:13 am

Metroid wrote:I would think as long as they're under cover and aren't getting any sort of direct weather on them, rain, snow, sleet, etc. that they should be fine. You could always call a tire store or two to make sure though. ;-D

Agreed. On top of that you might want to throw some tire protectant on them every few months just in case.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby RiffRaff » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:34 am

Cowboys 4 life wrote:
Metroid wrote:I would think as long as they're under cover and aren't getting any sort of direct weather on them, rain, snow, sleet, etc. that they should be fine. You could always call a tire store or two to make sure though. ;-D

Agreed. On top of that you might want to throw some tire protectant on them every few months just in case.

Put a rubber on rubber. ;-7
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby Tyeattolah » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:31 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:

Yep, throw some tire protectant on them if nothing else to keep the rubber pliable...will help prevent any cracking etc due to the cold. Otherwise...they should be fine
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:02 pm

treat24 wrote:i just buy new tires every season and throw the old ones on my tire fire in the backyard :-b

Comments like that could even get a moderator banned!!!!!!!

C'mon, treat...
you could have given a coronary to a couple ELF's in this joint. :-B

Think, man, think!

Speaking of all that, I haven't seen jose around here lately. ;-7 :-b
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby houstonherdfan » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:45 pm

Well since its only for a few months there should be no problem. the only problem would be if they were off the car for long enough to swtart dryt rotting. I don't know how long that would take. That would be a question for the manufacturer. I would suggest that if you are keeping them on the rims that you deflate them and re inflate them with nitrogen.

actually even if they are on the car nitrogen is much better to injflate tires with due to the lack of moisture. this will decrease the large changes in pressures within the tire. changes in tire pressure due to heat and the moisture in the air you fill it will will increase the wear on the tire.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:01 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I won't be storing them on the rims, I don't have summer/winter wheels, only tires. The tire shop I use will plastic bag them, so I'll stack those in the corner of the garage furthest from the weather areas. I'll make sure they are able to breathe through the plastic by leaving part of the plastic bags opened. I think I'll find a piece of particle board and stack them on their sides on top of each other.

i'm so psyched for Fall/Winter, yet not so much.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Next

Return to General Talk