Backwards Draft??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Backwards Draft???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Backwards Draft???

Postby deadmoney » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:47 pm

Alright this is my first year doing Fantasy football. But Im an avid football watcher and consider myself pretty knowledgable. I would be asking this question to my friends, but they are all in the league with me and I dont want to give up my draft strategy..

12 person Keeper League, 6 points for pass/reception touchdowns..I have the 11th pick.

I am thinking that this year there arent many top work-horse running-backs, and the ones who are out there will most likely be gobbled up before my first pick. I am also thinking that after the top-tier running backs are gone, that the other running backs are pretty much equal in value from rounds 2-7 (to a degree). What if I drafted backwards and picked a WR with my first pick (it would probably be a top 1-3 receiver) and with my second pick go with a QB (13th overall pick, so again probably a top quaterback), then go TE with my third pick (everyone will still be trying to secure all the WR's and RB's so it would probably be the top TE). Then, with the rest of my picks go best running back available.

wouldnt having the top TE, the top WR, and a top QB, offset the point difference that 2 good running backs would provide me? I could even take it a step further and draft the top D too.

I guess what I am saying is this: In this day and age of running-back by committee, can I afford to overlook running backs and strengthen the rest of my team? Or should I just stick with the book and draft two RB's in my first 3 picks??
deadmoney
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Backwards Draft???

Postby dream_017 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:47 am

deadmoney wrote:Alright this is my first year doing Fantasy football. But Im an avid football watcher and consider myself pretty knowledgable. I would be asking this question to my friends, but they are all in the league with me and I dont want to give up my draft strategy..

12 person Keeper League, 6 points for pass/reception touchdowns..I have the 11th pick.

I am thinking that this year there arent many top work-horse running-backs, and the ones who are out there will most likely be gobbled up before my first pick. I am also thinking that after the top-tier running backs are gone, that the other running backs are pretty much equal in value from rounds 2-7 (to a degree). What if I drafted backwards and picked a WR with my first pick (it would probably be a top 1-3 receiver) and with my second pick go with a QB (13th overall pick, so again probably a top quaterback), then go TE with my third pick (everyone will still be trying to secure all the WR's and RB's so it would probably be the top TE). Then, with the rest of my picks go best running back available.

wouldnt having the top TE, the top WR, and a top QB, offset the point difference that 2 good running backs would provide me? I could even take it a step further and draft the top D too.

I guess what I am saying is this: In this day and age of running-back by committee, can I afford to overlook running backs and strengthen the rest of my team? Or should I just stick with the book and draft two RB's in my first 3 picks??

If you know the top scoring QB, WR and TE, please let me know ;-D

The problem is that noone knows that. Brady was not the 1st QB drafted last year.....Moss was not the 1st WR drafted last year(by a long shot).....see the problem. There will be people that draft top RBs early and still be able to get comprable QBs and WRs and even TEs that you drafted early, while you are way behind in RBs.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Beginner's Forum