Robert Meachem - WR, NO - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Robert Meachem - WR, NO

Moderator: Football Moderators

Robert Meachem - WR, NO

Postby Triplec223 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:56 am

What are everyone's expectations for this guy this year? He is basically a rookie after missing all of last season with a knee (i think) injury. He is buried on the depth chart right, but I've read he's pretty much a lock to be the #3 WR in that offense, maybe even #2 later in the season. He's flashed some big-play potential in the preseason. The Saints are going to throw a lot, so how do you see Meachem working into that offense?
Triplec223
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Robert Meachem - WR, NO

Postby mikus » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:59 am

He will start the season as the No. 3 receiver. David Patten and his experience will hold onto that No. 2 spot, but Meachem will be able to find his niche in the offense from the slot, much like Devery Henderson did in the past. The only difference between Meachem and Henderson is that Meachem is much more consistent catching the ball. Same speed, same elusivity.

Meachem could be a nice sleeper pick late in a deep draft and someone who likely will emerge in the second half of the season.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:54 am

mikus wrote:He will start the season as the No. 3 receiver. David Patten and his experience will hold onto that No. 2 spot, but Meachem will be able to find his niche in the offense from the slot, much like Devery Henderson did in the past. The only difference between Meachem and Henderson is that Meachem is much more consistent catching the ball. Same speed, same elusivity.

Meachem could be a nice sleeper pick late in a deep draft and someone who likely will emerge in the second half of the season.

I agree, that and Shockey has been added to the offense, and Brees loves to spread the ball around...In a dynasty you can't go wrong with him, in redrafts expect a few big games, and a few games around 30 yds, Patten is a very solid/reliable option, and while Meachem will have his games he's not the primary option in that offense yet...He's definately worth a bye week play or an injury fill in, but he's not in the situation to be relying on him week to week, but Meachem will be more consistent then Henderson as Mikus said which is a big plus.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mikus » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:47 pm

Except that Sean Payton is now smoke-screening the situation:

RotoWorld wrote:Saints coach Sean Payton indicated that Devery Henderson is not on the roster bubble.
In fact, it appears Henderson will play ahead of Robert Meachem as a starter in the last two exhibitions. Payton says Meachem "still has a ways to go" to find a steady role. We've seen Meachem get taken way too early in drafts. Still, don't expect Henderson to keep the job all year.

I really cannot see Henderson keeping his job for very long. Dude cannot catch a pass, and the local media is all over him. Payton would take an enormous amount of heat if he kept going to Henderson, and judging by his decision last week to demote Jason David I do not think he wants that.

This could be a move to help boost Henderson's confidence.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby 34=Sweetness » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:09 pm

I think he's pretty overrated, honestly. He's at least the 4th offensive option on the team for receiving, and that's a best-case scenario. While he should beat Henderson, he's still going to be mostly a secondary option compared to Bush, Colston, and Shockey. He's going too high for me to even consider him right now, but he's still a good late round flyer.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Football Talk