If you took Peyton or Brady in round 2 (or before) last year - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

If you took Peyton or Brady in round 2 (or before) last year

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: If you took Peyton or Brady in round 2 (or before) last year

Postby tantrix1969 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:32 pm

missed this draft in a 19man yahoo total points league I was in last yr and ended up riding Brady to 1st place
drafted players
1. (15) Clinton Portis
2. (24) Tom Brady
3. (53) Plaxico Burress
4. (62) Deion Branch
5. (91) Julius Jones
6. (100) Jason Witten
7. (129) Denver
8. (138) Derrick Mason
9. (167) Rex Grossman
10. (176) Michael Turner
11. (205) Jay Feely
12. (214) Patrick Crayton
13. (243) Michael Robinson
14. (252) Eric Moulds
15. (281) Zach Miller

final roster-
Tom Brady (NE - QB)
Deion Branch (Sea - WR)
Plaxico Burress (NYG - WR)
Patrick Crayton (Dal - WR)
Najeh Davenport (Pit - RB)
Earnest Graham (TB - RB)
Ryan Grant (GB - RB)
D.J. Hackett (Car - WR)
Thomas Jones (NYJ - RB)
Derrick Mason (Bal - WR)
Clinton Portis (Was - RB)
Roddy White (Atl - WR)
Jason Witten (Dal - TE)

Phil Dawson (Cle - K)

New York (NYG - DEF)
"When you watch him play, you’re like, ‘Oh God, he’s going to kill somebody,’ and that’s what I like about the young man.” ~ Jerome Henderson on Cowboys rookie safety J.J. Wilcox
tantrix1969
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 92)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Munboy » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:28 am

FatFoot wrote:Awesome. And please keep em coming.

I want to address the whole "taking a QB in the first or second round" thing. I am certainly NOT trying to make the argument that this is the right or wrong way to approach things, nor am I taking last year's freak year by Brady/Moss as a standard. I just want to do some comparisons. If the end results are interesting, I'll write it all up for a possible article here. If they're lame, I will make that assertion and tell us all to go about our businesseseses.

Thanks for digging up the past, and for people who are just reading now, chip in! If you have your last year's draft results still, hook me up!

And yes, any first/second round QB is valid, though I am probably going to ignore rosters that are filled via homerism, because they're probably less relevant. :)

I posted my roster already. Just want to throw in that I did win in that league, and it was purely on the arm and hands of Brady and Moss. But like you said, it was a freak year for them, and I don't see it happening again. Sure, they will be an awesome duo to get, but they will go too early. As it is, I took them in the 2nd and 3rd, which is normally too early, but i really saw big things for them. A lot of people was saying that Moss' best years were behind him and he's just going to be a cancer...blah blah blah. But Brady is always a good early pick, and i just had a feeling about Moss, so i took that shot. I wasn't too thrilled with the rest of my team though. I liked Parker as my first pick, but he turned out to be a disappointment. He lots of yardage but less than a hand full of TDs. The rest of my team was ok, but nothing to be thrilled about, and i certainly didn't expect to win with what i Drafted. But, like I said, Brady and Moss carried me. So there is something to be said about drafting out side of the usual RB RB first two rounds.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby hermitkendle » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:04 pm

If i had to do a draft again, i am in dynasty leaugue... I would go rb in the first then a top qb or wr in the second... and either wr qb in the third.. The r players like jones from jets and otheras of the same build sitting there in the 4th or 5th round... And honestly rb from the second and third round are in rbbc so why rush getting a rb then when u can get a top wr instead.. and get a rb in 4th 5th rounds..
hermitkendle
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:18 am

New Dynasty Last year...

Picking 10 of 12, 6pt passing TDs, can start 2/3/1, 1/5/0 or 3/1/2, Def rewarded for long TDs
Brady
MJD
T. Jones
Holt
Jacobs
H. Ward
Cotchery
H. Miller
L. White
Baltimore
LJ Smith
Terry Glenn
Moose
L. Booker
Hicks
Scaife
Chatman
Mike Walker
DeDe Dorsey
John Beck
Kellen Clemens
Donald Lee
Eddie Kennison
Ryan Grant
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kilroy » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:13 am

This very strategy is being put to the test here at The Cafe with the "Firs Round QB Challenge", wherein PolarBear is attempting to show that he can take Brady at 1.03 and still be competitive. I took Manning at 2.09 there (to pair with S-Jax), but given the scrambling I had to do all draft long if I had it to do over I wouldn't have.

If you're in a league with people that halfway know what they're doing you're gonna pay big for taking a QB that early, and 90% of the time there's no chance in h**l I'd do it.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby dream_017 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:08 am

Kilroy wrote:This very strategy is being put to the test here at The Cafe with the "Firs Round QB Challenge", wherein PolarBear is attempting to show that he can take Brady at 1.03 and still be competitive. I took Manning at 2.09 there (to pair with S-Jax), but given the scrambling I had to do all draft long if I had it to do over I wouldn't have.

If you're in a league with people that halfway know what they're doing you're gonna pay big for taking a QB that early, and 90% of the time there's no chance in h**l I'd do it.

My % is 99.9 O:-)
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby Shock6822 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:45 pm

Not my teams, but people in some of my various leagues last year...

Patriots 17-1 - finished in 7th place in standings. Didn't make playoffs.
1. (5) Peyton Manning
2. (20) Marshawn Lynch
3. (29) Reggie Wayne
4. (44) Fred Taylor
5. (53) Laveranues Coles
6. (68) Chester Taylor
7. (77) Jeremy Shockey
8. (92) Carolina
9. (101) Adam Vinatieri
10. (116) Jerry Porter
11. (125) Chris Henry
12. (140) Rex Grossman
13. (149) Adrian Peterson
14. (164) Tony Scheffler
15. (173) Kenny Irons
16. (188) Sebastian Janikowski

Following 2 are in a 16 team league:

Barricades - 6th of 16 in reg season, made playoffs, came in 6th place in playoffs as well (lost 5th place game)
1. (11) Peyton Manning
2. (22) Chad Johnson
3. (43) Adrian Peterson
4. (54) Julius Jones
5. (75) Todd Heap
6. (86) Terry Glenn
7. (107) New England
8. (118) Eddie Kennison
9. (139) Reuben Droughns
10. (150) Robbie Gould
11. (171) Dwayne Bowe
12. (182) Noah Herron
13. (203) Kevin Faulk
14. (214) JaMarcus Russell
15. (235) Marcus Pollard

No Ronnie No Cry - 5th of 16 in reg season, 4th place in playoffs (lost 3rd place game)
1. (14) Ronnie Brown
2. (19) Carson Palmer
3. (46) Marion Barber
4. (51) Lee Evans
5. (78) Darrell Jackson
6. (83) Chris Cooley
7. (110) Mike Furrey
8. (115) Leon Washington
9. (142) Philadelphia
10. (147) Derrick Mason
11. (174) Steve Smith
12. (179) Antwaan Randle El
13. (206) John Kasay
14. (211) Byron Leftwich
15. (238) Mewelde Moore
GO PATRIOTS!
Shock6822
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dgan » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:42 pm

I know you're looking for last year but this was my draft yesterday. 10 team league. We have some interesting keeper rules - my keeper is McGahee.

1. MJD
2. Brady (12 overall)
3. (no pick - complicated rule)
4. Jacobs
5. Forte
6. Roy Williams
7. Cotchery
8. Dallas Clark
9. (no pick - complicated rule)
10. Galloway
11. Ray Rice
12. Santana Moss
13. Andre Hall
14. Vincent Jackson
15. Trent Edwards
(few other meaningless rounds)

Also got Ladell Betts off waivers.

These are experienced drafters who knew what they were doing (the league has been together for 8 years with only 2 owner changes), but look at the RBs you can get later on: Jacobs, Forte, Hall, Betts. There is a wide discrepency in opinion how to rank RBs 15 - 30, so someone you like has a good tendency to fall. (I crossed off at least 8 RBs below Forte on my draft board before finally taking him.) You can get a marquee QB and stock up on RBs - you only need a couple to pan out. Or you can take a couple 'stud' RBs and grab 3 so-so QBs and hope one of them pan out.

I'm not saying this is a winning roster or even a good one - I'm just showing my philosophy when Brady fell to the 2nd round was to accumulate RBs and not even worry about the QB position until late. If you don't like to go the mass RB route, take Ryan Grant (that's the RB taken right after I took Brady). Would my RB roster look that much better with Grant on it? Would my roster be better with Grant and Hasselbeck rather than Brady and Jacobs?

I personally think the RBs you'll find in the second aren't that much better than the ones you'll find in the next two rounds anyway, so there is no harm in taking a QB you know with fair certainty will finish in the top 3 and has potential to be even better than that.

Obviously, taking a QB (thus forcing yourself to take a couple extra RBs than you otherwise would) does cause your WR position to look rather weak. Mine makes me grimace. But I also feel WR is the easiest position to upgrade off waivers and trades. You've got plenty of RBs to trade with when you use this philosophy.

Anyway...just thought I'd throw that out there. I'm sure this makes someone frustrated to no end... :-D
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby benb18a » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:37 pm

I'm positive I made a thread just like this last year, so I think I know what you're going for with this. Here is my only team I've ever had with either QB:

finished 3rd(beaten by eventual champ - Brady/Moss juggernaut in semifinals) of 12 teams

Here was my final roster

Manning, Edwards
FWP, Jamal, BJacobs, Foster, Kevin Faulk, Wright(Lewis' backup)
Braylon, Fitzgerald, Marshall, Coles
Desmond Clark, Heap
Bironas
Vikings

Drafted Manning in the middle of the second round, don't have access to the draft results.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby yankeekd25 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:13 pm

The team who won the league took Brady in the 2nd- I know his first two picks in order, but I don't know the rest of the order. Here was his final roster:

He picked 4th/10
Adrian Peterson (yes, in the first round)
Brady

Rest of roster:
Fred Taylor
Deshaun Foster
Kenny Watson
Brandon Marshall
Anquan Boldin
Lav. Coles
Kevin Curtis
Benjamin Watson
And of course he had 2 kickers and 2 defenses-

Luck was on his side.