It's been a looooong time - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

It's been a looooong time

Moderator: Football Moderators

It's been a looooong time

Postby Hitech Redneck » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:31 pm

It's been years since I've been in a league but I'm giving it another shot. What advice can ya'll give me about the following league? I know when I used to play you always drafted a rb first. Is that still the case? Any help you can offer is appreciated. Also, what does the D below stand for?

QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/T, W/R, K, DEF, D, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN
Passing Yards (25 yards per point)
Passing Touchdowns (4)
Interceptions (-2)
Rushing Yards (15 yards per point)
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Receptions (1)
Reception Yards (10 yards per point)
Reception Touchdowns (6)
Return Yards (10 yards per point)
Return Touchdowns (6)
2-Point Conversions (2)
Fumbles (2)
Fumbles Lost (-2)
Offensive Fumble Return TD (6)
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (2)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (4)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (5)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)
Point After Attempt Made (1)
Sack (1)
Interception (2)
Fumble Recovery (2)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Block Kick (2)
Return Yards (10 yards per point)
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns (6)
Points Allowed 0 points (10)
Points Allowed 1-6 points (7)
Points Allowed 7-13 points (4)
Points Allowed 14-20 points (1)
Points Allowed 21-27 points (0)
Points Allowed 28-34 points (-1)
Points Allowed 35+ points (-4)
Tackle Solo (1)
Sack (2)
Interception (2)
Fumble Force (1)
Fumble Recovery (1)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Block Kick (2)
Hitech Redneck
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: It's been a looooong time

Postby ACME Destruct-O-Ball » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:58 pm

Hitech Redneck wrote:I know when I used to play you always drafted a rb first. Is that still the case? Any help you can offer is appreciated. Also, what does the D below stand for?

Given that your league awards points for receptions, and offers 10 yds/point for WR, as opposed to 15 for RB, it looks like somebody's taken some steps to balance the scoring between the RB and WR positions. Regardless, I'm old fashioned, and I'll still take two stud running backs in the first two rounds, then probably WR, RB, WR, QB, RB, QB, WR, TE, WR, then DEF/K/D/Fill in the Bench.

Looks like your league requires you to pick a team defense (DEF) and an Individual Defensive Player (D); if that's the case, grab you a MLB like Patrick Willis from the Niners. A tackling machine who'll pick up a couple of fumbles, a couple of interceptions, and a few sacks. A guy like that can rack up 160 points by the end of the season.

Good luck!
ACME Destruct-O-Ball
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Hitech Redneck » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:46 pm

Thanks for the help. How would you recommend filling out the bench? How many RB's, QB's, etc.? Thanks again for all of the help
Hitech Redneck
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby ACME Destruct-O-Ball » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:54 pm

I'd only keep one QB on the bench; after your starting QB's bye date is passed, get rid of the backup, and replace him with RBs or WRs; same thing for TE, K, and DEF/D. You have to start 2 RB, plus you've got a RB-eligible flex position, so I'd want 4 starting RB if possible, or 2 full time starters, and 2 fill-ins, maybe Sproles from the Chargers, or Jordan from the Pats. Just make sure they've all got different bye weeks, or you're screwed. Same thing for WR. In that W/R flex position, I'd always be starting a RB; in the W/T spot, I'd always have a WR. And, in your D position, if you can start a MLB every week, that's probably your best bet for consistent scoring.
ACME Destruct-O-Ball
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Script-Ohio » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:27 pm

I wouldn't even think about taking a QB until round 5, at earliest, in this league. Maybe even a couple rounds later than that. Let everyone else burn early picks on Brady, Manning, Palmer and the rest while you load up on RBs and WRs. Between RB, WR, TE you start 7 guys and the scoring favors those guys. Make sure those 7 are the best you can get and even if you pick your starting QB after everyone else it's not going to hurt you nearly as much as having the best set of skill players will help you.
Heck in the league I won last year I picked my first QB even after some people had their backup's drafted (half the managers in my league reach on QBs for some reason) and with your scoring settings I would *absolutely* do the same thing.
I'd probably take a stud RB first then do best available among my other skill positions (excluding QB)
Script-Ohio
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Beginner's Forum