Reading Old Threads? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Reading Old Threads?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Reading Old Threads?

Postby bobbing_headz » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:05 am

Not necessarily related to fantasy but I was getting bored so I started looking through old posts from last year. Found a lengthy discussion on Adrian Peterson where I badmouthed him and now reading that I feel like an ass :-B

Just wondering how many people check topics from previous years. Maybe I could learn something? I don't know, I'm curious and bored, a deadly combo.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Reading Old Threads?

Postby treat24 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:36 am

I look at old mock drafts sometimes.

Being ripped on last year for taking AD in the 2nd and having Braylon as my #1 WR made me laugh... yeah... those were horrible picks... My teams look ok after a mock, but after the season it turns out I knew what I was doing quite often.

note: the phrase "knew what I was doing" really means "get very lucky"
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby moonhead » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:00 am

i remember a few years ago someguy was trying to get carson palmer. i told the guy he should stop trying to trade for palmer and be happy with aaron brooks. brooks was proven. and palmer hadn't done anything yet. palmer had a bust out year and brooks busted out of the league. B-) :-B
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby knapplc » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:07 am

I seem to recall urging caution on young Mr. Peterson about this time last year. His college record was littered with crazy-good games, combined with injuries - some of which, like the broken collarbone diving over the endzone line, were freakish - and I told people that SJax was the proven commoddity and rookies rarely do great things, blah blah blah. So that one didn't pan out so well.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:29 am

After he was drafted I said SJax would one day be a top 5 fantasy back... I also said Braylon and Fitz would also live up to their hype... conversely many years earlier I had thought JJ Stokes and Darnell Autry would be the next big things. You win some you lose some knapp and moon.

Come on... JJ was in the 49er system with Young and all that talent... Rice/Stokes/Owens ... I picked the wrong one to carry Rice's torch... not that Owens is even in Rice's league... at least he isn't in my mind.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Nfl Fan » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:34 am

Note to self: Ignore fantasy football tips from moon, knapp, and treat. :-b
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby treat24 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:49 am

Nfl Fan wrote:Note to self: Ignore fantasy football tips from moon, knapp, and treat. :-b

Listen to me half the time and hope it's the right ones Like Peterson and SJax :-b
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:53 am

I'm tempted to throw darts at a board one year, Nfl, and see what kind of team that gets me. With all the research I used to do, it was still a crapshoot. These days I read a few threads in Leftovers and DTKW and look at a few depth charts and call it good.

I've talked about this a lot, but in 2005 I had LT2, Jamal Lewis, Marc Bulger, Steve Smith, one other top WR, a top-three DEF and some warm body at TE and K. I crushed the season scoring record in my league (I actually did it three years in a row), but the best finish I had was fourth in those years. In 2005 I finished fifth and out of the money.

Fantasy football is such a crapshoot it's unbelievable. I refuse to get sucked in to it too deeply anymore.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Nfl Fan » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:11 am

I was just messin anyway. ;-)

I never do too much research to draft. Print a favorite cheatsheet, circle some targets, know who not to pick, and after that... follow my gut.

This year, my gut says the Bears and Steelers suck. :-D

j/k
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby bobbing_headz » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:06 pm

Finding stuff like this just makes me want to give up fantasy sports forever.

On Brady:

Brady is certainly not undervalued. It's not like New England is suddenly gonna drastically change their play style and Brady will throw 40+ TDs. Not gonna happen.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk