Moderator: Football Moderators

Fred Taylor

Postby stomperrob » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:11 pm

Interesting piece on him...

Taylor not acting his age
Numbers show that this Jaguar isn't a typical 32-year-old running back
Vito Stellino
The Times-Union

Running back Fred Taylor pointed to a spectator at the Jaguars' practice Thursday and said, "That's the guy who's going to get me in the Hall of Fame."

Taylor was pointing to Pete Bommarito, who runs Performance Systems, a training program for athletes in Davie.

Bommarito, who has a masters degree in exercise science from Ball State, works with more than 200 athletes. However, he's often referred to as the "Fred Taylor guy," because of the running back's success the past two years after working with Bommarito in the offseason.

Running backs often start to decline in their 30s, but Taylor, 32, has gained 1,146 and 1,202 yards the past two seasons. He's 17th on the NFL's all-time rushing list with 10,715 yards. He's 1,597 yards behind Jim Brown, who's ninth at 12,312.

Sean Lahman, who wrote he wants to do for football statistics what Bill James, the noted researcher who now works for the Boston Red Sox, has done for baseball stats, has written The Pro Football Historical Abstract. Lahman ranked Taylor 35th on the all-time running backs list. Lahman had Taylor trailing, among others, Ricky Watters (22), Tiki Barber (23), Roger Craig (30), Eddie George (31) and Corey Dillon (34). Taylor has outrushed all of those players.

"Tell that dude I'm one of the top five running backs of all time," Taylor said. "Looking at the caliber of running backs that have played the game, I'm definitely in the top 10. I've got to prove him wrong and make the top 10 before it's all said and done."

con't...

rest of article: http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/s ... 1815.shtml
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Fred Taylor

Postby JasonSeahorn » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:11 pm

I think some people are overlooking Fred Taylor this year. Yes, he is old by age, but because he has missed a lot of games in the past combined with sharing carries the past 2 years, he doesn't have a ton of mileage on him. And look at the past two years when he has shared, he's put up two 1000+ yard seasons with decent touchdowns, and hasn't had any big injuries either. Sharing carries is helping him more than hurting him. It's not great but it is solid stats, especially as a back-up fantasy RB. As an RB3 I think he's an ok guy, as an RB4 I think he's a steal. He will break down one day but moving up on the all-time rushing list IMO is going to be enough motivation for him to turn out at least 1 more pretty good season.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dgan » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:58 pm

Looking at the caliber of running backs that have played the game, I'm definitely in the top 10.

:-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby croutonjack » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:05 am

yeah...Fred Taylor is sick...I think I'm going to write him in for president...Fragile Freddie for President no Obama
croutonjack
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bobbing_headz » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:12 am

Fred Taylor may be the most underrated RB this year. The Jags have struck gold maintaining a balance in their RBBC spelling Taylor just enough to keep him fresh while still giving him enough touches to be a factor. Despite low TD totals Taylor will still remain a force in the yardage department. I predict another 1000+ season.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Munboy » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:09 am

Taylor's kind of hard to pin down in the larger scheme of all time RBs. He's very quietly put together quite the career, but it just happened to be in the dark abyss, the land of a couple hundred fans, that is the JAX JAGS. It's not that hard to get lost down there in murky atlantic waters. He's piled up a few tons worth of yards and that's even taking into account a few seasons lost to injuries. He'd have at least another 1000 yards if he managed to avoid the major injuries that hit him a few yards back. But top 10...of all time? Come on Freddie, you're good, but not that good.

I imagine he'll put together another season like the last two. I solid RB2.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby croutonjack » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:46 pm

Munboy wrote: But top 10...of all time? Come on Freddie, you're good, but not that good.

I imagine he'll put together another season like the last two. I solid RB2.

Give him this year and next year and he'll be in the top ten and with MJD taking some of load off of his shoulder, he'll stay fresh and healthy for the next 2 seasons.
croutonjack
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk