Fantasy value outlook for DeShean Jackson, Chris Johnson? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fantasy value outlook for DeShean Jackson, Chris Johnson?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Fantasy value outlook for DeShean Jackson, Chris Johnson?

Postby Kilroy » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:44 am

deerayfan072 wrote:In a PPR league I expect big things from Chris Johnson. He will get a lot passes and has the ability to break anything open. Think Reggie Bush, but faster.

So how many rooks you expecting to go off? Seems to me I remember someone being completely gaga over Malcolm Kelly and telling anyone who'd listen ho he was worth a Mid-First ahead of CJ4.2

Waits for excuse/response/lawsuit. :-D

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:22 pm

Kilroy wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:In a PPR league I expect big things from Chris Johnson. He will get a lot passes and has the ability to break anything open. Think Reggie Bush, but faster.

So how many rooks you expecting to go off? Seems to me I remember someone being completely gaga over Malcolm Kelly and telling anyone who'd listen ho he was worth a Mid-First ahead of CJ4.2

Waits for excuse/response/lawsuit. :-D

Kelly is still IMO the most talented wide out in that draft. His injury will hamper him this season, but still think he will be the best wide out in that bunch. I touted CJ4.24 since before the draft as being behind the top 3 in terms of running backs. In a PPR, I think he will be gold. I do not expect him to beat out Lendale as the primary ball carrier because that is not the style of back he is. He is a guy that can explode at anytime and catches the ball well. Like I said, think Bush, but faster. In a non-ppr I wouldn't touch Bush, and I would be hesitant to take CJ4.24, unless it was good value, but in a PPR I took him at 6.01 almost every draft and I am happy with that.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby sappisgod » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:11 pm

DemonDeacon wrote:I havent seen a lot of Chris Johnson this year so it would be unfair for me to comment on him. However ive been REALLY high on DeSean since being drafted by the Eagles. I think of him as a very Donte Stallworth like receiver and i think he'll be awesome fit with McNabb. On top of that DeSean has had a simply awesome preseason and i definantly look on taking a late RD flier on him with Curtis out i might even have to take him sooner than expected (and will do so happily) i havent been this high on a rookie receiver since... ever ;-D

Maybe in terms of the success Stallworth had with McNabb, but they aren't really similar WRs IMO. Stallworth is known to be a very one-dimensional deep threat. He's run more go routes than anyone outside of Randy Moss and Ashley Lelie. DeSean kills him in terms of quickness, acceleration, and change of direction. DeSean seems to be developing better with underneath stuff than Donte has. Jackson had a lot of short catches in the Panthers game, doing a lot of possession-type work.

I really like the chances of DeSean not only developing as a deep threat this year, but as an all-around WR. He's got big time potential.

Azrael wrote:
electramax wrote:I have a feeling Johnson (assuming healthy) will take over as Ten's #1 back before the season is out.

There's no way this happens. They would be fools. Johnson is 200lbs soaking wet and will not stand up to the pounding of an NFL schedule. Tennessee will use him like an MJD/Bush type player. Nominal rushing touches for change of pace with alot of dump passes/gadgetry to utilize him in a mismatch.

Yeah, it wouldn't make much sense (this year especially) to try and make Johnson carry the load. LenDale's skill set fits the power running game the Titans are going to run, and Johnson is better utilized as the all-around weapon. Bringing him in on 3rd downs, using him as a receiver out of the backfield, lining him up wide, having him handle some returns. With the lack of playmakers outside of them, there's plenty of room for both to have success in Tennessee's offense. Johnson isn't really one that looks like he's ready to run the ball 200+ times, and LenDale isn't really as versatile, so it makes more sense to give White the majority of the carries and them to use Johnson a myriad of ways.
sappisgod
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Bmonkey » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:18 pm

will DeSean Jackson be returning punts or kickoffs throughout the season? I saw him play against NE and he looked great zig zagging in between traffic. he did get a 60 yd return TD so that's why I'm asking if this is just preseason stuff to see if he can even do returns or if it's a permanent thing? our league gets yds and tds for returns so even if he only gets like 50 yds a game with those return yds he could turn into an every game starter
Bmonkey
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:39 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Kelly is still IMO the most talented wide out in that draft. His injury will hamper him this season, but still think he will be the best wide out in that bunch. I touted CJ4.24 since before the draft as being behind the top 3 in terms of running backs. In a PPR, I think he will be gold. I do not expect him to beat out Lendale as the primary ball carrier because that is not the style of back he is. He is a guy that can explode at anytime and catches the ball well. Like I said, think Bush, but faster. In a non-ppr I wouldn't touch Bush, and I would be hesitant to take CJ4.24, unless it was good value, but in a PPR I took him at 6.01 almost every draft and I am happy with that.

We would of agreed 100% on CJ, I was trying to preach to everyone on another draft site that this guy had 1st round skills and this was when most expected him to be a mid 2nd rd pick, I watched alot of tape on him and I came away very impressed, I thought the 2nd round talent was Felix Jones...I agree with Bush but faster, I was touting him as going to end up everything people thought Bush would be.

As far as Kelly, I was on the Sweed>Kelly bandwagon all off-season, just because while I do see similiar players, Kelly looks like a great possesion WR but I was cooled off after watching tape and seeing him get tackled after most of his catches, I didn't see him do alot of getting the ball in space and creating something, or catching and running with the ball, YAC in other words, with Sweed I saw a guy who could stretch defenses deep or catch screen routes and make a play...Kelly's knees were a huge red flag for me that I would stay away, seems like something that could hold his career back from taking off, and I expected them to come up early in his career just not this early...I had Devin Thomas and Holmes at the top of the draft class for WR's, Avery reminds me exactly of Santonio Holmes and Thomas while raw has potential to be a 1200/12 type guy with great size-speed ratio, its hard to pass those guys up and I was upset Dallas did.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby ampant » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:38 pm

beadybea wrote:I drafted both of these guys in my dynasty league. I would say that I'm far more excited about Chris Johnson than I am about Matt Forte, who I took 5th overall.

You mean in the 5th round I assume. (If you took him 5th overall, you can join my league any time)
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:46 pm

ampant wrote:
beadybea wrote:I drafted both of these guys in my dynasty league. I would say that I'm far more excited about Chris Johnson than I am about Matt Forte, who I took 5th overall.

You mean in the 5th round I assume. (If you took him 5th overall, you can join my league any time)

Probably 5th overall in rookie drafts in dynasty leagues.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby beadybea » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:19 am

LS2throwed wrote:
ampant wrote:

Probably 5th overall in rookie drafts in dynasty leagues.

Correct. And Johnson fell to me 18th overall, hence my delight.
beadybea Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby dabears34 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:28 am

im a bears fan but how can you be more excited over johnson than forte? Forte is a complete back. He can do it all
dabears34
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby beadybea » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:37 am

I hope you're right about Forte. I've only watched the sport for a couple of years now (being English) and I thought Forte's biggest handicap was the O-Line rather than his own ability. Regarding CJ4.2, I've been paying a lot of attention to this site, which is very high on him (my league is PPR).

http://dynastyrankings.blogspot.com/2008/08/preseason-week-1-cant-miss-play-chris.html
beadybea Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk