TD heavy league strategy...thoughts? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

TD heavy league strategy...thoughts?

Moderator: Football Moderators

TD heavy league strategy...thoughts?

Postby Azrael » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:04 pm

I pick 3rd in a TD heavy league that gives 6pts for a rush/rec TD, 4pts for a pass TD, and your players don't score for yardage until they eclipse 100 rush/rec or 300 passing. Defenses get nothing unless they actually score on defense or special teams. No points for INTs, sacks, FRs, etc.

I learned I draft 3rd in this league.

The line up goes QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, K, Def

1. My inclination is to take Barber 3rd (assuming LT and AP go off the board 1st) as TD punching backs are a priority and only LT has scored more times the last 2 years. The other thought is to take Moss.

2. Top TEs are practically worthless because typically it's the yardage that separates the good ones from the not so good.

3. Defenses aren't even worth worrying about until the end.

4. QBs I usually leave alone because of not getting a bonus until 300yds and with only 4pt pass TDs, but was contemplating taking Brees early because I think he'll have a monster year.

5. This league has a stupid rule that you HAVE to draft 2 defenses...otherwise I wouldn't even bother. Your defense probably puts points up 1/3 of the time.

My thoughts:

I believe L. White will be a huge pickup around the 6/7 turn. Because VY sucks so bad at passing I can see him punching in double digit TDs this year and that his monster value at that point.

Chicago is actually the best defense in this league because of Devin Hester's scoring ability.

Getting a healthy Gates is paramount because he outscores everyone at that position.

Something like Barber/AJ/Brees/Gates/Calvin/L.White/J. Stewart might work. Or if I opt to pass on Brees I am really uncertain where to go with the 3rd pick. In a TD heavy league are any of the backs really that much better than the others? Maybe Jamal Lewis here? I also don't see much more value at WR in the 3rd than I do at the end of the 4th.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: TD heavy league strategy...thoughts?

Postby AllDay » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:00 am

I think Barber is a pretty smart pick in that format - and he should definitely be there.

I'd wait on WR. In a 3 WR league I think the top WR becomes more important. In a 2 WR league - eh, not so much. Look for MJD with your 2nd pick. That would be a pretty darn good start if you could land MB3/MJD in a TD heavy league. I would dance with glee if that worked out.

In the 3rd-5th rounds you can fill out your WR/QB needs as you see fit and I think you will still be OK. Even if you take Brees in the 3rd round you could end with a decent WR corps. He might end up the QB with the most 300+ yard games so I see the reasoning.
What Would Purple Jesus Do?
AllDay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Azrael » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:02 pm

thanks for the reply, appreciate it.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby biju » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:13 pm

I would think that Barber would be a good choice here too, plus I echo the sentiment of a MJD pick...he seems to be a solid pick. I would also like to say that picking up Michael Bush later in the draft might be a smart idea, along with any other vulture style back that can be had. Grabbing a top 4 or 5 QB seems to be a wise move and oddly enough, this is a format that tends to support grabbing a good kicker early as they will at least match all but the QBs and top end fantasy players for points.

I would also put some stock into the "outcasted" Willie Parker who had 8 100+ yard games in 14 played. I would think in a TD heavy league people might forget about him.

Good luck! ;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Football Talk