Pre-season Game 3 vs Cle Observations - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Pre-season Game 3 vs Cle Observations

Moderator: Football Moderators

Pre-season Game 3 vs Cle Observations

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:21 am

things is noticed

John Kitna running for his life and making plays. somehow i think in the regular season these lead to a lot more sacks and 3rd and longs that. but i did read they opened in a 4 WR set to test their 2 minute drill, so maybe that's why the protection was so bad

Running game looking like poo again...the big run was nice, but when you're averaging 0 yards a carry you wont have the opportunity to make many of those. still, Smiths run was nice

The "defense" looking good again, except Cleveland was missing it's starting QB, RB and WR. kinda like how they looked good against Cinci minus Housh and CJ. a mirage if you ask me, because i'm not convinced that front 7 can stop the run

overall, it's nice to see them play good, and i'm starting to fall for the hype that they can have a mediocre season (7 wins) than a terrible one (3 wins), but when i make my predictions i think it will be in the middle
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pre-season Game 3 vs Cle Observations

Postby dream_017 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:32 am

It is nice to see them putting together wins, even if it is pre-season. In seasons past they couldn't even win pre-season games.

I am still concerned with the running game, the big run was nice, but there are still ZERO holes and KS looks like he is running for his life...which might be a good thing :-B

Nice to see Kitna escape pressure and make a play on the run. I think we will see more of that. In Martz system that just didn't happen. You stay in the pocket because WRs are suppose to be open and you just throw it. Now WRs can make changes and come back to the ball which if Kitna buys some time can turn into a positive play.

Still hate to see good drives stalled and kicking a field goal. Better than nothing but we have seen this for years. In the pre-season you need to go for it and try for the endzone.

Overall pretty positive an looking forward to the season, I too am starting to buy into some hype. I just hope they can give us something good to talk about for a while.

I didn't go to the game this week.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:51 am

The run game looks pretty bad. Things I noticed were that Backup.., er I mean Backus and Cherilous cannot run block. They were both terrible. The line gets no push and doesn't hold blocks well. Cherilous in particular is worrisome. He not only doesn't seem to play physical, he doesn't appear to care. Where is the mean streak? Did he leave it in some Boston bar? He looks totally confused and isn't putting much effort into his game. If he doesn't get a clue he could be a bust.

For all his vision the lesser Kevin (Smith not Jones) seems to lack the speed to get to the outside and dosen't really seem to make sharp cut backs. That could improve with experience and comfort, but the lack of speed isn't going to change.

Kitna will still threaten to throw for 4K despite all the rhetoric about running the ball. He has audible powers and will use them liberally.

They may very well have the best WR duo in the league. There I said it. Roy is entering his prime and Franchise is just too talented to be denied. And they're are both healthy.

For any Cleveland fans out there, how good do you feel about Quinn now? He looked awful. Like McMahon without the running ability. For that reason alone I cannot tell if the Lions D was any good out there or not.
The secodary looks much improved. Simms over-runs way too many plays. The D line isn't impressing me any. Did White and Redding have the day off? They must have. Like I said though, Quinn was so horrid that one can't come to any conclusions about the Lions play.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby dream_017 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:22 pm

moochman wrote:Kitna will still threaten to throw for 4K despite all the rhetoric about running the ball. He has audible powers and will use them liberally.

Did you see the audible to a run play? I think they picked up 1/2 a yard :-b
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby bigken117 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:40 pm

Yay the game was on NFL Network and I watched.....most of it.

It started off beautifully seeing Drew Henson warming up :-b

For the starters, Kitna did look good overall, though I thought he had to improvise too much back there on the run. During the season we know those throws are caught by opposite color jerseys. The line did not give him enough time. The receivers made some plays to bail him out.

I don't want to put too much blame on Smith for his first 9 carries and 10 yards, there was someone there to see him one step after he got the ball every time. When he broke his TD he looked good escaping the pile, and showed some moves in the open field. A nice job getting those last 3 yards after Orlovsky got more pancakes (2) on one block than Cherilus got all game. I liked.

I guess I gived my thoughts on the line already :-*

Roy looked fantastic. Can't say it enough. That one handed sideline back peddling catch got a "Are you F*ing kidding me!" in front of my 3 year old and I had to rewind it to show the wife so she could see why I am a bad influence on my boy. :-b I kept Calvin in my keeper league, and Roy is going to be available for my 1st round pick. A tough, tough skip it will be.

I know the preseason is just where teams try and work out the kinks, and I don't have the #s in front of me, but watching the game, it sure seemed like they were 2:1 pass:run, despite the coach's rhetoric. That said, I'm glad they didn't totally abandon the run after Smith's 9/10 for reasons we saw.

I wasn't too impressed with the defense. I saw more of Brady Quinn throwing the ball at the ground when he had time more than anything else. They did get some pressure, but IMHO not enough to rattle a veteran QB. Good thing there's not veteran QB in the North! :-D

Hey, they're 3-0! When's the last time that happened?
Jacoby Ellsbury - Official Red Sox prospect of the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
bigken117
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Eagle EyeBaseball Mod
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Detroit Lions