who else thinks the middle picks in drafts suck - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

who else thinks the middle picks in drafts suck

Moderator: Football Moderators

who else thinks the middle picks in drafts suck

Postby redbirds10 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:27 am

i would much rather be beginning or end in a 10 or 12 teamer.. there is soooo much waiting in between.. you can never really que your draft.
redbirds10
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: who else thinks the middle picks in drafts suck

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:55 am

The turns of the draft suck too though. You get your 2 players and then wait 20 picks, meaning that you have two options: Take whichever guy falls to you, regardless of whether or not you think he'll be good, or take guys who you think will be good a round or round and a half ahead of their "average" draft position....
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:36 pm

isnt there more waiting at the end after you go back to back? i dont mind where im put, if your get put in the middle theres a good chance a solid player will fall to you because of another teams mistake. also if youre at the beginning or end you have to reach for players because it will be so long before you draft again..
sadlyajetsfan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Kensat30 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:47 pm

I think the middle draft positions are the best if you are an experienced drafter.

If you're in the middle you are less prone to positional runs and you don't have to reach as much for the players you covet. A ton of value ends up falling to the middle draft positions simply because you have a lot more flexibility with every pick compared to the drafters on the end. If you are on the end in a 12 man draft, you could potentially see 20+ players all from the same position go at any point in the draft, and 10+ go from a single position in any round of the draft.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:34 pm

I prefer top 5 but would much rather have the middle than the 10th - 12th.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby croutonjack » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:56 am

i was 10th in a 10 team league and ended up with TO, Andre Johnson, Santonio Holmes, Derek Anderson, and Marshawn Lynch so drafting last isn't that bad...
croutonjack
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby AllDay » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:13 am

There's +'s and -'s to both.

Most people seem to prefer the middle picks so they don't have to wait the 18-20 picks while entire tiers of RB/WR/QB disappear. They can focus better having a sort of 'pace' to their picks and can better utilize the 'draft this guy and hope this guy falls' strategy' throughout the draft.

I kind of like being 2nd or next to last. That way I can sort of 'predict' what the guy is going to do with back to back picks.

I used that to draft the last guy in a tier of WR's over my 2nd RB in my one draft so far. I still got the guy I wanted as a 2nd RB then the my 2nd choice and worst case options were still there in the next rounds.

Looking back at my draft I came to the conclusion that my 5th/6th round decision to take Jennings over a RB really set me up to crush.

My team, picking 9th of 10 (QB 2RB 3WR TE FLX D K 2IDP 8Bench)

Brady
Lynch
Colston
Marshall
Jennings
Bush
Run DMC
Stewart
A Gonzalez
K Smith
V Davis
B Watson
....from there I drafted additional depth I am also pleased with (Watson/Perry, Crayton, DeJax) and my K, D, IDP players.

I drafted Favre in the 18th round like the day before he got traded to the Jets (just as the table-talk turned to Favre's situation).

Of course I could have been burned by a run on RB - instead only LenDale, Rudi, Fragile, and E Graham (I can see that one at least) were drafted between my RB2 and RB4 in rounds 6-8. Sure there was some draft luck, but had I passed on Jennings I would probably be less happy with my team.

I know I got some issues here and there, but I should be OK. For 'ignoring' RB I feel pretty darn good about it.

You can draft well from anywhere - but drafting at the ends can give you some additional time to plan between picks and take advantage of knowing others needs if they pick between your 1st and 2nd picks. Yeah, you can miss out on some runs - but those runs can also work in your favor.

This year I'd want a top 2 pick - if not I'd want a 8-10 pick. Most of the players between 3-10 are decision picks. SJax has the recently ended holdout, Addai has Manning's knee and his own worries, Westy's health, Brady or Moss (Brady injury is worry in addition to RB or Patriot decision), MB3's workload, Lynch's legal issues, Gore and SF in a Martz system, Portis and health, TO and TO.

Pick late maybe you get 2 of them. I could deal with that. I don't like the picks too far beyond that. I'd pass on RB until the MJD question came up then pass again for a couple rounds.

Other years that would change.
What Would Purple Jesus Do?
AllDay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk