Is the much touted QB depth this year drying up? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is the much touted QB depth this year drying up?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is the much touted QB depth this year drying up?

Postby dmacblue » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:45 am

Brady - keep reading he has minor nick, not too worried.
Peyton - Certainly more to this knee thing than Colts admit, makes me nervous for sure.
Brees- Lookin good
Romo - Lookin Good
Palmer - Awful O-Line, Ocho may need surgery, TJ minor nick, Henry out 1st 4 games.
Roth - Lookin Good
Hasselbeck - Soft schedule. Has back issues and both Engram and Branch are out.
Anderson - Minor concussion, prolly ok.
Cutler - Sweet
McNabb- Lookin good, lost Curtis.
Eli- Lookin good, Plex nicked.
Bulger - Already getting hurt nehind that crappy O-Line. Not durable anyway.
Delhomme- Okay

No exact order, just thoughts off the top of my head.

I'll be aiming for Cutler or Roth.

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Re: Is the much touted QB depth this year drying up?

Postby Pats4four » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:59 am

Well considering that most people play in a 12-14 team league that means from your list, you;re one short of 14 starters and a pretty glaring omission from your list is David Garrard.

I wouldn't say that the QB depth has diminished from last season because I still think the list has 14 startable QBs. Obviously, for some of the latter ones you would want an insurance backup in case he doesn't perform or is injury prone. For me, I think the depth at the QB position is still there for me and others to justify waiting on a QB until round 7 or 8 instead of taking one in the earlier rounds. In fact, in looking at your list once more, I'd say the QB depth has actually increased since last year but that's just my $.02.

PS You missed Favre... :-D
Pats4four
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby dmacblue » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:06 pm

Yeah I didnt include everyone at all, more a top of the head scribble after keep hearing about Qb's getting hurt

Wasnt an exact list at all,

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Postby Pats4four » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:09 pm

Yep, I understand but I just used your list a basis for listing QBs that are worthy of consideration as a starting QB or as a QB in a platoon. I really don't think the depth at QB has diminished at all and there are other 'sleepers' out there that can perform that haven't been mentioned yet like Schaub and Rodgers.
Pats4four
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:46 pm

Pats4four wrote:Yep, I understand but I just used your list a basis for listing QBs that are worthy of consideration as a starting QB or as a QB in a platoon. I really don't think the depth at QB has diminished at all and there are other 'sleepers' out there that can perform that haven't been mentioned yet like Schaub and Rodgers.

Yeah, and every year someone comes out of nowhere to put up a top 10 season, could be JTO for all I know this year.

Once you get past the top 5-6 on my list I dont think there is a big drop off from the next tier to the matchup starters. If Im looking at Eli/Anderson types I may as well wait and grab two of Campbell, Favre, Schaub, Garcia, Kitna... Each of those guys have had some good games, and with Favre and Garcia you are getting a top-8 fantasy QB from last year... I think the position is VERY deep, there is just a top tier that has really seperated out.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:55 pm

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
Pats4four wrote:Yep, I understand but I just used your list a basis for listing QBs that are worthy of consideration as a starting QB or as a QB in a platoon. I really don't think the depth at QB has diminished at all and there are other 'sleepers' out there that can perform that haven't been mentioned yet like Schaub and Rodgers.

Yeah, and every year someone comes out of nowhere to put up a top 10 season, could be JTO for all I know this year.

Once you get past the top 5-6 on my list I dont think there is a big drop off from the next tier to the matchup starters. If Im looking at Eli/Anderson types I may as well wait and grab two of Campbell, Favre, Schaub, Garcia, Kitna... Each of those guys have had some good games, and with Favre and Garcia you are getting a top-8 fantasy QB from last year... I think the position is VERY deep, there is just a top tier that has really seperated out.

You know what, Im gonna try that this year. In my big-roster league I'm gonna try to get Favre, Kitna and Garcia and see how I can do. No spending picks before the 10th on a QB
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby gmoney973 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:06 pm

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
Bobbleheadrusty wrote:

You know what, Im gonna try that this year. In my big-roster league I'm gonna try to get Favre, Kitna and Garcia and see how I can do. No spending picks before the 10th on a QB

i wouldnt recommend wasting 3 roster spots on average qbs...especially not old ones

if u do this strategy i would get:
1 old guy who has limited upside but should be safe - farve/kitna/delhomme/garcia
1 young guy who has bigger upside but more of a risk - schaubb,cutler,garrard,campbell

most of these guys should be avaliable round 10 or later
gmoney973
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby 4Pack » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:03 pm

With all indications being that Kurt Warner will get the starting nod in Arizona...I think that boosts his value considerably. Top 10 maybe?
4Pack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:29 pm

I think the starting depth is fine this year; however, I'm not a huge fan of the depth for backups this year. It seems that after the first 5 or 6 backups there's nobody worth much left.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Kensat30 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:35 pm

Not when you have your pick of Brett Favre or Jake Delhomme in the 12th-14th round.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Next

Return to Football Talk