Is the much touted QB depth this year drying up? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is the much touted QB depth this year drying up?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Is the much touted QB depth this year drying up?

Postby Pats4four » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:46 pm

I think if you don't land an elite option at QB then the platooning method is probably your best bet at securing consistent production at the position. I don't think it's out of the question to pick up two guys from Favre, Delhomme, Cutler, Schaub, Rodgers, Eli, Kitna etc. as they'll be available even in round 9 to 10 and I reckon that two of the above in rounds 9 and 11 say is a better option than someone like Anderson or Bulger in round 4 or 5.
Pats4four
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dmacblue » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:24 pm

Just back from draft, passed on the top 3 and Manning (who went 1.9 with TDs=6 + bonuses, still too risky for my backbone)

Took Cutler in mid 8th and Campbell mid 12th

Not ideal, but allowed me to accrue talent at WR,RB

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Postby bobbing_headz » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:25 pm

dmacblue wrote:Just back from draft, passed on the top 3 and Manning (who went 1.9 with TDs=6 + bonuses, still too risky for my backbone)

Took Cutler in mid 8th and Campbell mid 12th

Not ideal, but allowed me to accrue talent at WR,RB

Nice value on Cutler ;-D
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:18 pm

Pats4four wrote:I think if you don't land an elite option at QB then the platooning method is probably your best bet at securing consistent production at the position. I don't think it's out of the question to pick up two guys from Favre, Delhomme, Cutler, Schaub, Rodgers, Eli, Kitna etc. as they'll be available even in round 9 to 10 and I reckon that two of the above in rounds 9 and 11 say is a better option than someone like Anderson or Bulger in round 4 or 5.

I haven't seen Eli, Delhomme or Cutler dropping that far, they seem pretty solidly in the top 10 QB talk, but I definitely thing you can survive without a top QB this year...
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Azrael » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:50 pm

No, there is alot of depth at QB. One if not more of Cutler, Schaub, Delhomme, and Warner are going to blow up and you have to pick these guys no earlier than the 8th or 9th depending on league size. Delhomme and Warner will last much longer.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Pats4four » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:13 am

I may have stretched the figures a bit in my last post but I see the top 10 Qbs as:

Brady
Peyton
Romo
Brees
Palmer
McNabb
Bulger
Hass
Cutler
Eli

I mean, even if Cutler and Eli are in the top 10 they can still be available late in the draft when you've secured your RB and WR positions. I reckon that a platoon of Warner and Favre this year could be extremely explosive.
Pats4four
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Lucky7 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:42 am

Anyone think Brees is worth grabbing in the 3d round (where he seems to be going in most 10 team drafts) over a top end WR like AJ/Colston/Housh who tend to also be available in the 3d?
Lucky7
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Azrael » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:58 am

Lucky7 wrote:Anyone think Brees is worth grabbing in the 3d round (where he seems to be going in most 10 team drafts) over a top end WR like AJ/Colston/Housh who tend to also be available in the 3d?

If that's the substitution you are looking at, i.e. Brees instead of one of those receivers, then yes I think he is worth it because from where you can get those players there will still be very good WRs available in the 4th round (Calvin, Marshall, Boldin, sometimes SSmith)
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby hermitkendle » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:38 pm

I might have missed the name on your list but i also didnt see garrards name on it...
hermitkendle
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:01 pm

If you can't find a QB late this year then you're not trying. The depth there is absurd. You could wait until the 12th round to pick your first QB this year and be completely fine.

Azrael wrote:
Lucky7 wrote:Anyone think Brees is worth grabbing in the 3d round (where he seems to be going in most 10 team drafts) over a top end WR like AJ/Colston/Housh who tend to also be available in the 3d?

If that's the substitution you are looking at, i.e. Brees instead of one of those receivers, then yes I think he is worth it because from where you can get those players there will still be very good WRs available in the 4th round (Calvin, Marshall, Boldin, sometimes SSmith)

It's not like that though. The cost of Brees isn't downgrading from AJ to Boldin. You're missing a player there, as without taking Brees in the 3rd you would be getting both Aj AND Boldin. It sets you one back at every spot. You downgrade Aj to Boldin. Then you downgrade Marshall to Cotchery on top of that. Then you downgrade J. Stewart to Mo Morris on top of that. Etc.

You're taking a downgrade on everyone the next couple rounds because you're always a round behind.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk