Boycotting in general - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Boycotting in general

Moderator: Football Moderators

Boycotting in general

Postby Polar Bear » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:08 pm

This has been a topic that I seem to be hearing quite a bit about and I would be interested in hearing other perspectives on it.

I am a strong believer in the free market and if a customer gets offended or has poor service at a particular vendor then it is their right to not support that particular vendor with their service, cool.

What about an organized boycott in today's culture?

Throughout our history there have been some boycotts that were effective and for a worthy cause, i.e Civil Rights Bus Boycott. To me that was a noble cause and an issue that needed to be dealt with, however these days boycott's seem to happen over petty differences in opinion. It seems to be sucha vicious circle of hatred, from both sides. Everyone has the right to participate in such things and I will always defend that right, but I think these group are simple bullies trying to push their self-interest. I won't give any examples that I have heard of recently, because I don't want to demonize any particular group.

However, do these things actually work? I have never participated in any type of boycott nor do I ever intend to, just not my thing. But for the past week, for some odd reason, some of the people I know have talked to me about boycotting certain corporations for certain reasons. Does anyone know of a boycott that has ever been effective? Just curious.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Boycotting in general

Postby Metroid » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:45 pm

Is my boycotting Wal-Mart working? Uhh no not in the least, but I feel a lot better about myself for supporting local retail and grocery stores. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Polar Bear » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:14 pm

Metroid wrote:Is my boycotting Wal-Mart working? Uhh no not in the least, but I feel a lot better about myself for supporting local retail and grocery stores. ;-D

I know quite a few people like that. They would rather support local retailers then big chains.

I'm more-so talking about organized boycotts, individuals are a bit different.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Madison » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:08 pm

Metroid wrote:Is my boycotting Wal-Mart working? Uhh no not in the least

Your Wal-Mart is my Exxon. :-b

As to organized boycotts, sure, they can work if the group boycotting is large enough, or if the company is scared of the bad press. How many stories have we heard about potential boycotts where the company changed its policy or met the demands asked of it simply to avoid a boycott and/or the bad press? I've heard several stories like that in the last few years.

On the other hand, it also depends on "what" is being boycotted and who's running the company in question. Some companies will stick to their guns regardless of the cost/consequences, and some will gamble that the group doing the boycotting won't be large enough to do any damage.

Lots of variables involved, so specifics are what determine if a boycott would be successful or not.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:28 pm

lets dump all our gas in the river
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby moonhead » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:49 pm

i've boycotted boycotting.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Return to General Talk