I Need Strategy Help - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

I Need Strategy Help

Moderator: Football Moderators

I Need Strategy Help

Postby jws » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:45 pm

Ok, i have first pick in the draft. Scoring system is 6 points for all td. 1 point for 20 passing yard and 1 point for every 10 rushing/ receiving yards. We use 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1FLEX(RB-WR-TE), TE, K, ST, DEF. For special teams we get 1 point for every 10 yards for punt and kick returns, and 6 points if they score......will that factor in also or do i wait till the later rounds like i would a def. Ive got my fist pick set but after that im lost. Do i go qb rb wr st......my mind is spinning..lol
Last edited by jws on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
jws
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: I Need Strategy Help

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:34 am

Everyone has a different opinion on which position to draft first so you'll get varying answers depending on the people you talk to. You should just draft the players with the most value. At the #1 spot you should grab LT, then see who falls to you on the turn. You'll likely grab at least one stud WR. Do you actually get a point for every rushing/receiving yard? Also, don't feel forced into drafting a QB early. You don't need an elite quarterback to be successful. I prefer to wait until the end rounds to draft a K/DST because of the fluctuations in those position each year.
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby MegaMan » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:58 pm

7th pick, in a 12 team draft. I went:
rb,rb,wr,wr,rb,wr,wr,qb,qb,rb,rb,te,qb,dst,k

I was going to go rb,qb,wr,wr,
but the top four qbs were taken before my second pick came around. So I switched to drafting 3 qbs late and loading up on quality rbs and wrs. Don't draft more than one te,kicker, and dst. The qbs I ended up with are garrard, kitna, and warner (13th pick).

Print out a grid with team names on the columns, and postions on the rows. Fill it out as the draft is progressing, and use it to guess what is going to be drafted between your picks. I didn't not have to rush to add qbs because everyone alreayd had a starter and it would have been foolish for them to draft a backup with the rbs and wrs available. Make a shortlist of players you want on your next pick while the draft is going on. Never start looking when you are on the clock. Don't fall for qb, dst, and TE runs. Don't draft a kicker before the last round.
MegaMan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby sobore » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:39 pm

Keep in mind you have three WR spots to fill. I would suggest that a number 2 pick would be a stud WR (Moss Wayne ETC..) After that, monitor what positions seem to be going fast and determine the outlook for filling your roster positions. You may be able to wait on a QB and pick up another stud WR or RB. I did not select a QB until round 7 myself.
sobore
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby cakewalk5 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:04 pm

With starting 2RB's, 3 WR's and a flex in presumably a 12 team league, that's 72 RB-WR's starting EVERY WEEK!

So unless you have a best player available strategy, concentrate on RB's and WR's. You can get a serviceable QB all the way until the double digit rounds.

And as for DST, it is such a crap shoot. Hester could reproduce lightning in a bottle, but who knows? I personally have waited this yr until one of my last picks to get CAR or JAC. Both first team defenses have looked incredible this preseason, and it's not like there is much science in prediciting a good DEF year in and year out.
cakewalk5
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby jws » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:04 am

1 more question. once I have to pick a def and a st and st get 1 point for every 10 yrd for punt and kick returns and 6 for td do I try to get a great st or just wait till the end like I would my def? Do u think st point will make a big factor? Thanks
jws
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:55 am

jws wrote:Ok, i have first pick in the draft. Scoring system is 6 points for all td. 1 point for 20 passing yard and 1 point for every 10 rushing/ receiving yards. We use 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1FLEX(RB-WR-TE), TE, K, ST, DEF. For special teams we get 1 point for every 10 yards for punt and kick returns, and 6 points if they score......will that factor in also or do i wait till the later rounds like i would a def. Ive got my fist pick set but after that im lost. Do i go qb rb wr st......my mind is spinning..lol

I never have a preset draft strategy like RB/RB/WR/QB. Every draft is different so you really need to be able to change your strategy to try and get the best value possible with every pick. There are a few things that I do though. I always draft a RB in the 1st. RB's are the toughest to find which is why they almost always go early and often. I almost never draft a QB early. QB's are easy to get later and/or off the WW...unlike RB's. Every time I draft a QB early (in the 1st 5 rounds or so), I feel as though I'm drafting from behind as far as RB's & WR's go. So I'll stock up on RB's & WR's through the 1st 5 rounds or so and then I'll pick a QB & TE when I think the value is good. My other "strategy" is regarding K's & D's. If I'm forced to draft them...I wait until the last 2 rounds. Same reason why I won't draft a QB early. K's & D's are VERY easy to get off the WW and don't warrant an earlier pick IMO.

In your scoring system, passing TD's being worth 6 points would make me think about taking a top QB earlier than I normally would. askthecommish.com & junkyardjake.com have average draft positions which really helps you to know where players are going in drafts. mockdraftcentral & antsports are good for mocks. I hope that helps a little. Good luck! ;-D

PS: Regarding your last question: I'd still wait until pretty late to get a ST. ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Postby cakewalk5 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:52 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:PS: Regarding your last question: I'd still wait until pretty late to get a ST. ;-D

Agreed. Spending anything higher than your last few picks is tough to justify. Remember, you need 6 quality RB's and WR's AND then you need backups. Guys get hurt.

You can find DEF, ST, TE, and even a serviceable QB on the Free Agent list. But the selection of RB and WR will be horrible. And you can never have enough starting RB's and quality WR's. As the season wears on, injuries to other teams (or even your own) will make your quality RB and WR backups much more valuable.
cakewalk5
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Beginner's Forum