Selvin Young - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Selvin Young

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Selvin Young

Postby Azrael » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:29 pm

Denver has an awfully easy schedule this year. The question is just his health. If you count him healthy I think he's a steal for a 6th-7th round pick. Just go pick up Hall as a last round pick if you decide to go with him.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby cakewalk5 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:49 pm

DetroitTigers wrote:I heard that Torain will be back by week 6 and that Shanny loves him. Do you guys see Torain getting some playing time once he becomes healthy?? I picked him in the last round....

I've heard great things about Torain, too. Problem is that he would be coming in midway through the season, and he's a rookie. The game will be moving at full speed, which he will need time to adjust.

I would suspect Shanahan would not rely heavily on Torain this yr unless the entire RB roster craps out. Thus, no point in really keeping him if a yearly league. Probably better to find a handcuff for an easily injured player (e.g., Ladell Betts, Maurice Morris).
cakewalk5
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Azrael » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:15 pm

Being a rookie and being out the first 6 weeks he will be nearly worthless except to come in and spell Young for a few carries. He will be worthless in pass blocking as that is what most rookies struggle with and he'll have gotten no reps doing it.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:10 pm

I think Andre Hall will go on to outproduce Selvin Young this season.

This is one of the pure RB1a and RB1b committees in the NFL this season, one series in and one series out. Although the majority of the people want to believe that Selvin will be the featured RB there, Andre Hall is going to get his opportunities. Either way though, Denver's o-line is a shell of what it once was. And the way Jay Cutler throws the ball, I wouldn't be surprised to see the TEs with more touchdown catches than the RBs with touchdown rushes.

Anyone drafting Selvin Young as their third RB in an early round are in for a big surprise when they see his role on the team week1 IMO. To the OP of this thread, I think Portis and Ricky are your RB1 and RB2, with Forte at #3 and Selvin at #4.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby bobbing_headz » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:15 pm

Selvin was solid last year when he actually got to play. Problem is getting the carries not production. I'm actually not worried about Hall, I'd be more worried about Torain who seems to be loved by Shanny. I think Selvin puts up nice yardage numbers but Hall may take some TDs away. Have a feeling like Kensat mentioned that Denver is moving away from it's run-first offense into a much more pass friendly one.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mystykoekaki » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:40 pm

I hate the fact that I have Selvin Young, can't seem to bring myself to drop him, and then once I find out what I believe already it will be too late and all of the value on the WW will be depleted.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SniperShot » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:50 pm

I don't see Andre Hall out producing Selvin.

Selvin Young is going to shine this year in my book.

In limited action last year he played good. That will continue this year and he'll have way more action than he had last year. He will get a decent amount of carries probably with Andre Hall coming in to give him a break and take 3rd down snaps (possibly red zone snaps? Dunno) This isn't that great fantasy wise but I also expect Selvin to catch a bunch of passes and he should get a decent amount of TD's. (Hopefully 6 or 7???) I always love having Denver RB's, if you can deal with the headache Shanny gives you, you'll get good fantasy points with Denver RB's. They should have a nice offense this year with Cutler even better. Until Shanny leaves I doubt they'll be ever truly be a pass first team.

Just gotta play it right and have the right players at the right times.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby FatFoot » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:28 pm

dabears34 wrote:I have Selvin Young as my flex player. I am a little worried about my rb's. I have Portis, Forte, Selvin, and Ricky in a 12 team ppr league. How do you guys think Selvin will do this year? I absolutely hate having Denver rb's bc of Shannahan.

It's not that bad of a situation to be in. RB1 is Portis, RB2 is a spot start, picking from those 3. Forte and Selvin are both start-able. I don't exhibit the same Ricky love that some here do.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Kareighuis » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:40 pm

FatFoot wrote:
dabears34 wrote:I have Selvin Young as my flex player. I am a little worried about my rb's. I have Portis, Forte, Selvin, and Ricky in a 12 team ppr league. How do you guys think Selvin will do this year? I absolutely hate having Denver rb's bc of Shannahan.

It's not that bad of a situation to be in. RB1 is Portis, RB2 is a spot start, picking from those 3. Forte and Selvin are both start-able. I don't exhibit the same Ricky love that some here do.

I agree. I picked up Selvin as my RB4 in one of my main leagues- Gore, MJD, Thomas Jones, Selvin. I'm not as high on Ricky as others, either- hence, picking up Jalen Parmele in a keeper league.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:07 pm

I think the one main thing you can't look past with Selvin Young is that Shanny has once said that he will never be a starter in the NFL.

When those words come out of the coaches mouth (granted it is skeletor), it should sicken Selvin's owners from a fantasy perspective. In the NFL of today, there are fewer and fewer true featured RBs, but even then that is not something you want to hear. Selvin has bulked up over the offseason and reportedly looked great, but in the preseason we saw that Shanny was platooning his RBs much like he has done in the past couple of years with Mike Anderson/Tatum Bell and then Mike Bell/Tatum Bell. Selvin did not win the RB job in Denver, they cut Travis Henry because he is a moron who blew his last chance and now his career is over. Again Selvin Young did not earn himself anything, last year he came in when Henry went out and did pretty well, but even then when he was fresh off the bench he couldn't last the whole year. Shanny likes finishers. I'm almost 100% positive that they won't try to force Selvin to be the bellcow when they have Hall sitting on the bench. They tried that last year and it didn't work. That is one of the things I I took away from the preseason and that is why I avoided Selvin Young as a early-mid round draft pick as a RB#3 this year. This is a true RBBC.

I think the best thing you could predict for Selvin this year is a performance like what Mike Anderson put up a few years back when he was a top10 RB out of nowhere. Anderson was the starter and the head of a committee with Bell and most importantly he got nearly all of the goalline carries. My personal opinion is that that won't happen for Selvin Young this year, and I see him evolving more into a Tatum Bell-like player this year in Denver (which is not a bad thing considering Bell's ypc in Denver), who does well between the 20s and who will hit the occasional homerun. Selvin will be a speedier threat and should have some big runs and catches, but I think Andre Hall will work himself into more and more carries as the season progresses and Shanny realizes that Hall actually makes Selvin a better player when they are used in tandem. Hall has the look and talents of a player who is going to grind out yardage and be used more often at the goalline to me. It's much easier to see Hall handling 25 carries for me than it is Selvin. Ultimately though, I think we see Selvin at around 15 carries and Hall at 10 carries to start the game and both should have some decent receiving stats. The real question to be answered though is will there be a dominant rusher at the goalline? And I just do not see Selvin Young winning the role outright.

I could easily see Selvin as the 1000 yard rusher this year with 5-6 TDs and Andre Hall coming off the bench for less than 1,000 yards but more touchdowns. I do think Hall is the better RB so I think the RBBC will eventually shift into his favor no matter who "the starter" is, much like Stewart over Williams in Carolina. If anything, Selvin should be trade bait after a good game early in the season if you see Hall as active as I think he will be. Maybe someone out there will buy into the "Denver RB magic" after a double digit game from Selvin overlooking how involved Hall will be in the offense.

First series preseason week 2:
4-1-DAL 7 (10:25) 23-A.Hall right tackle to DAL 1 for 6 yards (98-G.Ellis).
1-1-DAL 1 (9:46) 23-A.Hall up the middle for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.

Second series preseason week 2:
2-4-DEN 34 (:15) 23-A.Hall up the middle to DEN 41 for 7 yards (56-B.James).
1-10-DEN 41 (15:00) 6-J.Cutler pass deep left to 19-E.Royal to DAL 27 for 32 yards (55-Z.Thomas).
1-10-DAL 27 (14:22) 6-J.Cutler pass short left to 15-B.Marshall to DAL 9 for 18 yards (26-K.Hamlin).
1-9-DAL 9 (13:43) 23-A.Hall up the middle to DAL 3 for 6 yards (98-G.Ellis, 42-A.Henry).
2-3-DAL 3 (13:02) 6-J.Cutler pass short right to 15-B.Marshall for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

First series preseason week 3:
2-10-GB 45 (8:09) 23-A.Hall up the middle to GB 39 for 6 yards (96-M.Montgomery).
3-4-GB 39 (7:26) (Shotgun) PENALTY on DEN-62-C.Wiegmann, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at GB 39 - No Play.
3-9-GB 44 (7:04) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass short left to 15-B.Marshall to GB 22 for 22 yards (36-N.Collins).
1-10-GB 22 (6:20) (Shotgun) 23-A.Hall up the middle to GB 22 for no gain (51-B.Poppinga).
2-10-GB 22 (5:39) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass incomplete short left to 14-B.Stokley.
3-10-GB 22 (5:34) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass incomplete short left to 35-S.Young (56-N.Barnett).
4-10-GB 22 (5:28) 5-M.Prater 40 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-83-M.Leach, Holder-1-B.Kern.

Second series preseason week 3:
1-10-GB 29 (8:30) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass short left to 23-A.Hall to GB 17 for 12 yards (37-A.Rouse).
1-10-GB 17 (7:54) 23-A.Hall right end to GB 11 for 6 yards (21-C.Woodson, 74-A.Kampman).
2-4-GB 11 (7:18) 23-A.Hall left tackle to GB 9 for 2 yards (54-B.Chillar).
3-2-GB 9 (6:43) 28-M.Pittman left tackle to GB 7 for 2 yards (51-B.Poppinga).
1-7-GB 7 (6:10) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass short left to 81-N.Jackson for 7 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk