Selvin Young - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Selvin Young

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Selvin Young

Postby fezzik » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:48 pm

I think Selvin will get a chance to prove himself as the starter. I see him getting 20-23 touches to start off the season, with Hall getting 5-7. I think he will take advantage of those touches and show himself to be deserving of that number of looks. If he wears down the touches could level out more, and if he gets injured I think Hall will be productive. But after having both of them most of last season, and reading the post game comments regarding each...I feel Shanahan likes Selvin even more than Hall (which would make sense considering he's the starter)...it just seems to be Shanahan's MO...he praises the ability of his young RB's to instill in them confidence, because he knows they are all one injury away from being a starter...and he probably wants them to feel they belong there. Same thing with Torrain...if you hear Shanahan talk about them, they sound like they should all be bonified starters in the NFL. And it's possible that they all should be, considering Selving and Hall were both very productive last season when they played. ;-)

IMO it's just a matter of whether Selvin can handle 25 touches a game for 16 games...when Shanahan said he didn't think Selvin could be an every down back in the NFl, it could easily have been a motivating tool for Selvin to prove him wrong...or a hint that he needed to bulk up a bit (which he's done). From my recollection that quote was made quite a while ago. It's his job to lose and I don't think he'll lose it.
I only dog paddle...
fezzik
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eaglesfan » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:38 am

Saw this on Rotoworld...

Andre Hall-RB-Broncos Sep. 3 - 2:26 am et

The Broncos "plan on rotating" Andre Hall and Selvin Young at tailback to open the season, according to beat writer Mike Klis.

Source: Denver Post
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:11 am

Yea I posted that in the RB watch thread, it also said Hall was going to get the goal line carries...Once again Shanny to the rescue to kill fantasy owners, Hall goes undrafted in some drafts and he might be the more valuable runner of the two honestly, especially if Shanny really splits the load up, but then again who thought Shanny was going to have a picture perfect scenario at RB.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby AllDay » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:45 am

Not real encouraging news about Hall and Young rotating if you are a Young owner.

Shanahan has definitely bedeviled RB owners over the years - but after Torrain's injury I started to think that maybe it was a good time to zig with the old school 'Den RB produces' theory while the more popular 'Shanny is RB evil' crowd zagged.

A lot might depend on that first game. With B Marshall out and Oakland being questionable against the run Den might try to run often. A big game by a Denver RB might change things a bit going forward.
What Would Purple Jesus Do?
AllDay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby ttwarrior1 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:24 am

should i start ray rice in my flex spot over young this week especially if td's are more important in my league.
ttwarrior1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:03 pm

uggghh, I was really hoping Shanahan wouldn't do this, should've known better, I've been on the Selvin bandwagon all preseason, and he still may do well, but this isn't good news.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Freebird27 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:13 pm

Took a last round flyer on Hall....good news!
Freebird27
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:58 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:uggghh, I was really hoping Shanahan wouldn't do this, should've known better, I've been on the Selvin bandwagon all preseason, and he still may do well, but this isn't good news.

In a redraft, I can see this as an issue. But, in a keeper or dynasty (I have him in two), it's not nearly as much an issue.

ttwarrior1 wrote: should i start ray rice in my flex spot over young this week especially if td's are more important in my league.

That's tough. The Baltimore Sun reports that, while McGahee's knee isn't yet 100%, he's still expected to start. Rotoworld says to expect Rice'll get serious action even if McGahee's a go. Says Harbaugh, "I wouldn’t say he’s 100 percent just [from] watching him run around out there," Harbaugh said of McGahee. "But he was out there. We’ll just have to see how he progresses this week. He wants to be out there, I know that.” (article)
From my perspective, it hinges on whether you want to hover over an injury report- if you don't want to, go with Selvin. If it's not an issue for you, I'd hold off on a decision till Sunday.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Guru13 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:34 pm

Kareighuis wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:uggghh, I was really hoping Shanahan wouldn't do this, should've known better, I've been on the Selvin bandwagon all preseason, and he still may do well, but this isn't good news.

In a redraft, I can see this as an issue. But, in a keeper or dynasty (I have him in two), it's not nearly as much an issue.

ttwarrior1 wrote: should i start ray rice in my flex spot over young this week especially if td's are more important in my league.

That's tough. The Baltimore Sun reports that, while McGahee's knee isn't yet 100%, he's still expected to start. Rotoworld says to expect Rice'll get serious action even if McGahee's a go. Says Harbaugh, "I wouldn’t say he’s 100 percent just [from] watching him run around out there," Harbaugh said of McGahee. "But he was out there. We’ll just have to see how he progresses this week. He wants to be out there, I know that.” (article)
From my perspective, it hinges on whether you want to hover over an injury report- if you don't want to, go with Selvin. If it's not an issue for you, I'd hold off on a decision till Sunday.

well first off I think Selvin is still a good play this week, they play against Oakland and it's not like Hall's gonna take all the carries or anything, he should be fine this week.

...I guess I see it as more of a problem in Keeper/Dynasty than you do, I realize Selvin is younger than Hall but only by two year, it's not like Hall is old or anything, he's only 26 and this gives him the opportunity to totally take the job from Young, I don't think Shanahan will ever give the full job to a RB again, but still.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:48 pm

All it takes is one injury, Young can miss 2 games with an ankle sprain, and come back as the backup and 3rd down back to Hall, thats just how Shanny does it...I will admit I loved Young too, still do as well this just makes the situation murky, something to pay close attention to on Monday.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer