LPGA to Require Players Speak English - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

LPGA to Require Players Speak English

Moderator: Football Moderators

LPGA to Require Players Speak English

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:28 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP)—The LPGA Tour boasts players from all over the world, and it wants all of them to be able to speak English.

The LPGA will require players to speak English starting in 2009, with players who have been LPGA members for two years facing suspension if they can’t pass an oral evaluation of English skills. The rule is effective immediately for new players.

“Why now? Athletes now have more responsibilities and we want to help their professional development,” deputy commissioner Libba Galloway told The Associated Press. “There are more fans, more media and more sponsors. We want to help our athletes as best we can succeed off the golf course as well as on it.”

The tour held a mandatory meeting with South Koreans last Wednesday at the Safeway Classic to inform them of the new policy, which was first reported by Golfweek magazine.

There are 121 international players from 26 countries on the LPGA Tour, including 45 players from South Korea.

The South Koreans were informed of the rule, however LPGA commissioner Carolyn Bivens has not given them—or anyone—a written explanation, Galloway said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=ap-lpga-english&prov=ap&type=lgns

wonder when someone will sue
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: LPGA to Require Players Speak English

Postby knapplc » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:40 pm

Someone ought to sue pretty quick. "English Only" rules are only typically enforceable in a situation where an uncommon language will cause a dangerous situation for the employees, as in a factory setting where heavy machinery is used, and someone could get run over if they don't understand a warning in English.

This is a dumb thing to do. It does no good for their sport, so why bother? I couldn't care less what language they speak on the course. It would be like MLB trying to enforce English in all of their players. Kosuke Fukudome doesn't speak English. Doesn't seem to have hurt the Cubs when it comes to putting butts in seats or eyes on TV screens.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:54 pm

What difference does it make, no one watches LPGA anyways.

isn't LPGA espanol for 'lesbian?'
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby bobbing_headz » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:37 pm

scottaa1 wrote:What difference does it make, no one watches LPGA anyways.

I think you're mixing it up with the WNBA
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:40 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:

I think you're mixing it up with the WNBA

I thought that was the word, in Italian? ;-)
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:54 am

mmm...Nacny Lopez :-L
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:44 pm

knapplc wrote:Someone ought to sue pretty quick. "English Only" rules are only typically enforceable in a situation where an uncommon language will cause a dangerous situation for the employees, as in a factory setting where heavy machinery is used, and someone could get run over if they don't understand a warning in English.

Question, since I'm not a lawyer.

Can the players really sue? From the article:

“This is an American tour,” Peters said. “It is important for sponsors to be able to interact with players and have a positive experience.”

Don't the owners have the right to make rules over the businesses they own? :-? Just like baseball and football could do the same. If the players can sue, how is it any different than any American company requiring their employees to speak English (if one doesn't speak English, that kind of makes it hard to communicate with customers)?

Not saying it's the "smart" or "right" thing to do, but I'm unaware of anything that prevents business owners from making this decision. Including the LPGA. :-? (You should see the rules the LPBT - Ladies Professional Bowlers Tour - had when they were around. Those people were worse than the mafia! :-b ).

Just curious because I'm unaware of a law preventing owners from running their companies, so I can learn something if there is such a law in place. :-)

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:21 pm

8-o
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby knapplc » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:54 pm

Madison, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (as amended) prevents employers from making rules like this. There's a lot more answer that I don't have time to write right now, but suffice it to say that there are guidelines to how an employer can run their company.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:51 pm

knapplc wrote:suffice it to say that there are guidelines to how an employer can run their company.

Agreed, and I generally agree with a lot of them. I just haven't heard of one before that deals with language. We even had a grocery store chain down here (Texas) that required their employees in a few stores to learn Spanish because they had/have a lot of Spanish speaking customers at those locations. Nothing was ever made or said about that being illegal, and it's the same principal, so it just seems odd to me. :-?

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk