LPGA to Require Players Speak English - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

LPGA to Require Players Speak English

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: LPGA to Require Players Speak English

Postby knapplc » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:27 pm

I know who gave those answers - you told us so in your post. If it seemed like I was giving you credit, that wasn't the case. ;-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:24 pm

knapplc wrote:I know who gave those answers - you told us so in your post. If it seemed like I was giving you credit, that wasn't the case. ;-)

If you think it was me, it wasn't actually. I havent talked to Treat about this yet. Was it u :-?
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:33 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
knapplc wrote:I know who gave those answers - you told us so in your post. If it seemed like I was giving you credit, that wasn't the case. ;-)

If you think it was me, it wasn't actually. I havent talked to Treat about this yet. Was it u :-?

go back a few posts dee. :-)
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:47 pm

treat24 wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

go back a few posts dee. :-)

still didn't see it, but maybe that is because it is saturday and the gators are on
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:52 am

Seems like a desperate move by the LPGA to control the types of players that come in and become successful. Aren't Asians (can't think if there's a specific country contributing) having a lot of success in the LPGA? I understand where they're coming from, but it seems to me like this is a rather knee-jerk reaction to what they're perceiving as a problem, which shouldn't be, considering that the best players should always have a chance to play.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:39 am

Let's just say I'm not surprised by this move. It's not enough, and from what this article says (fines instead of suspensions) they're still not in compliance, but this is a step in the right direction.

LPGA backs down on English-only rule

(AP) — The LPGA Tour's "mea culpa" didn't need much translation.

Facing anger from lawmakers and bewilderment from sponsors, the LPGA Tour backed off plans to suspend players who cannot speak English well enough to be understood at pro-ams, in interviews or in making acceptance speeches at tournaments in the United States.

LPGA Tour commissioner Carolyn Bivens said she would have a revised plan by the end of the year that would not include suspensions, although fining non-English speakers remains an option.

Click the headline for the full article.

My opinion - this is a first step to dropping the whole idea. There is no way this is ever going to fly. If they try to implement any kind of discipline for speaking languages other than English they will get hammered by state and federal anti-discrimination agencies.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk