2008 Season Predictions - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

2008 Season Predictions

Moderator: Football Moderators

2008 Season Predictions

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:43 pm

i dont think tomorrow night will answer anymore questions, so it's prediction time

Week 1 @ ATL - John Kitna throws for 3 scores, a pair to Calvin and another to Roy. The run game is held to 60 yards. Jason Hanson adds 2 field goals and the defense looks goo against rookie Matt Ryanfor a 27-13 victory. get the ovens fired up
RECORD 1-0

Week 2 vs GB This time Kevin Smith is able to get in the endzone on a 40 yard run, yet the team still doesnt crack the 80 yard mark. Kitna throws another TD to Calvin and Leigh Bodden scores on an Aaron Rodgers INT to seal a 21-17 win. Cornbread sales in the state double overnight
RECORD 2-0

Week 3 @ San Fran having spent last year practicing againt the Lions D, Mike Martz exploits it in a 35-6 beatdown lowlighted by Kitna's 4 INT's. The running game is held to 30 yards on 18 attempts
RECORD 2-1

Week 4 - BYE

Week 5 vs Chicago The Bears turn to their 3rd QB in 5 games (Chris Simms) who allows a pair of turnovers, including a Paris Lennon fumble recovery for a TD. Smith gets in the endzone again on 70 yards rusing and Michael Gains and Mike Furrey also add TD's along with 2 Jason Hanson FG's. the Lions escape with a 27-23 victory despite allowing a punt and kickoff return to Devin Hester
RECORD 3-1

Week 6 @ Minny Adrian Peterson runs for 172 yard and 3 TD's, and Chester Taylor adds in another 80 yards and a score. Tavarias Jackson also connects with Sidney Rice and a late Madieu Williams INT return seals a 42-0 win. Marinelli is disapointed with the effort. Kitna has a game high 32 yards rushing...the Lions finish with 54 on the ground
RECORD 3-2

Week 7 @ Houston Kitna and the Lions find themselves in a shootout that invloves only 20 combined run plays (43 yards for the Lions) between the teams. Schaubs 4 TD's outshine Kitna's 3 (1 each to Calvin, Roy and McDonald) and a late INT return by Dunta Robinson perserves the 35-27 win
RECORD 3-3

Week 8 vs Washington Clinton Portis totals 200 yards and 3 TD's (1 recieving) and Jason Campbell adds 2 more TD's to Chris Cooley and Santana Moss. Roy Williams catches a late TD pass in a 35-13 loss and the run game is stuffed again with 65 yards on the ground. Marinelli's states in his Monday presser that his men are finally grasping the Zone Blocking scheme
RECORD 3-4

Week 9 @ Chicago Bears QB Brian Griese leads the team to a 20-13 victory over the Lions. Artoose Pinner adds a goal-line score as the Lions total 64 yards on the ground
RECORD 3-5

Week 10 vs Jacksonville Fred Taylor runs for 100 yards and 2 TD's and MJD adds another 150 total yards and a pair of TD's (1 rush, 1 rec). David Garrard attempts only 10 passes, which is the same number of Lions rush attempts...good for 35 yards. Lions lose 28-9. When asked in his post-game presser if Drew Stanton might see some time soon, Marinelli stresses that Kitna is his starter and that the Lions are still in the playoff hunt
RECORD 3-6

Week 11 @ CAR Jake Delhomme and Steve Smith connect for 160 yards and 3 TD's (Delhomme passes for 270 on the day, adding another score to Mushin Muhammed). Deangelo Williams and Jonathon Stewart comine for 185 yards and a TD each. Kitna connects for a pair of scores to Calvin and Roy. Kevin Smith and Co are held to 59 yards on the ground in a 42-20 loss
RECORD 3-7

Week 12 vs Tampa the game is delayed for 20 minutes as some of the Lions defenders line up with the Bucs defense. The run game "explodes" for 85 yards and a Kevin Smith TD, but the Lions can only add a Calvin TD, which isnt enough as Jeff Garcia exploits the Tampa-2 for 180 yards and 4 TD's (the only completion over 20 yards is a 78 yard catch by Warrick Dunn in which Ernie Simms over-runs the play). Lions lose 28-20
RECORD 3-8

Week 13 vs Tennessee Vince Young wins the Golden Gobbler (or whatever the dumb Thanksgiving trophy is that day) with his 100 yd/3 TD performance...on the ground. he adds a 85 yd TD pass to Chris Johnson and LenWhale White runs for 100 and a score. The Tennessee Defense holds the Lions run game to 27 yards and the Lions lose 35-3
RECORD 3-9

Week 14 vs Minnesota see week 6
RECORD 3-10

Week 15 @ Indy with the Colts still trying to improve their playoff seeding Peyton Manning throws for 350 yards and 6 TD's...in the 1st half...Kitna "answers" with 3 TD's of his own to Calvin, Roy and McDonald. Indy slows it down in the 2nd half with Jim Sorgi at the helm and only add another Domique Rhodes TD and a pair of Viniteri field goals. this allows the Lions to finally crack the 100 yard rushing mark as Indy plays the prevent the 2nd half allowing a Smith and Toose TD. Lions still lose 55-35
RECORD 3-11

Week 16 vs New Orleans Drew Brees passes for 400 yards and 4 scores (2 to Reggie Bush and 1 each to Colston and Shockey) and the Lions again break 100 yards on the ground in a 28-17 loss. Kitna has still taken every snap at QB
RECORD 3-12

Week 17 @ GB Aaron Rodgers picks where Favre left off, starting a streak of his own against the Lions and their 62 yard rushing effort in a 13-6 win
RECORD 3-13

after a fairly hot start, the Lions lose their last 11 games, yet Millen and Marinelli keep their jobs. Roy Williams is allowed to pursue free agency and the Lions spend a top 5 pick on a WR
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2008 Season Predictions

Postby LT Blue Colt » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:42 pm

I'm going to say the Lions go 6-10. Wins will be, like DL said great off the bat, with ATL and GB. But, I think the train will keep rolling like the good starts usually do in Detroit, and I think they'll take SF and CHI in the next 2. With that said, I think things will slip. I think they'll get a reality check from MIN, and after HOU gets a win from MIA, they're going to go into their bye with a win against DET. I think DET might still have enough momentum from the beginning of the season to take WAS at home, and then give us fans a surprising road win in CHI. But, if you've been counting I've already given up my 6 wins. After some tough loses to JAX and CAR, I think the Lions will fall just shy of beating TB and TEN. 2 games that the Lions should be able to fight for, but will just be too winded out. After that a losing steak will set in against MIN, IND, and NO. Leaving the Lions one last chance for victory in the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field. Is there a chance they could win? Yes, but as you can tell from this post I've already set into a pessimistic state of mind for the season. :,-(
Metroid wrote: I eat Old Spice. :-B

I'm a Lions fan. I'm chuck full of freakin' hope.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RWLongy4 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:26 am

Week 1: Det @ ATL - W 34 - 10: Should be a gimme... our offense will light them up and our defense will look like it was made of pro-bowlers.

Week 2: GB vs. Det - W 28-17: Aaron Rodgers comes to Detroit and although looks solid simply cannot get the job done on the road.

Week 3: Det @ SF - W 17-10: Martz is all hype, Alex Smith? JT O'Whateverhisnameis? nothing seems to be the answer in SF. Not even Gore can carry them to a W.

Week 4: Bye - Woo Woo

Week 5: Det vs CHI - W 24-3: Chicago has made little effort to improve an already struggling offense. I think KJ will look good but not good enough to put many points on the board.

Week 6: Det @ MIN - L 28-10: Psh in Minny? No chance.

Week 7: Det @ HOU - W 31-28: I'm just not buyin' what Houston is sellin'... Hanson puts through a last second FG to squeak out a win.

Week 8 vs. WASH - W 38-24: We get off to a quick 14-0 lead and the Skins are forced to abandon Clinton Portis and the run game, Campbell is just never able to make up enough ground.

Week 9: Det @ Chi - W 10-7: We have a tougher time at Soldier Field but even Devin Hester's one KR TD wasn't enough to get Chicago a win.

Week 10: Det vs JAX - W 35-14: Jacksonville is by some fluke plagued by injuries keeping Garrard and Fragile Fred out of the game. MJD still has a solid game but Kevin Smith looks even better with 147 yards and 3 TDs.

Week 11: Det @ CAR - W 42-35: Shootout... We prove to have the better recieving corps

Week 12: Det vs TAM - W 27-17: We've signed about half of their former teammates and manage to beat them... thats a kick in the nuts.

Week 13: Det vs. TEN W 21-13 Finally redeem ourselves on Turkey day after a poor showing last year

Week 14: Det vs MIN W 31-17: ADP has by now reinjured his collarbone and we get some redemption from earlier in the year.

Week 15: Det @ Indy - L 38-21: I can't honestly justify giving us a win here.

Week 16 vs NO - L 24-21 I think the Saints are going to have a really good year and unfortunately for us we're going to be one of their wins.

Week 17 Det @ GB - W 35-24: We finally take a game in Lambeux as the Packers finish off a disappointing 6-10 season.

13-3 ... Hey someone has to be hopelessly optimistic.

Some other predictions -

After realizing he no longer has a place in professional football Drew Henson finds his calling playing professional racquetball.

Brian Calhoun surprises people by remaining healthy the entire year and actually becoming a servicable 1-2 punch along with K.Smith.

Gosder looks solid and we finally don't look like completely draft inept.

We still don't average more than 18 runs per game.

Matt Millen is fired for having a winning record (because he sure can't seem to get fired with a losing one)
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:09 pm

9-7

I think the running game will improve as the season progresses and the OLine gets used to their new cut-blocking scheme.

I have also been impressed with the defense so far this preseason. They certainly arent the best, but they do seem to be able to pressure the other teams QB a lot more than they have in recent years.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mutantseabass » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:44 pm

Week 1: Det @ ATL - L 24-14: Should be a gimme...but its the Lions and they never win games they are supposed to. Turner is still running from the San Diego game last season and starts the year with a 200 yard game and 2 long Tds.

Week 2: GB vs. Det - L 21-20: Roy says they left 14 points on the Field. Rodgers does his best Favre impersonation and throws for 3, 2 to Jennings and 1 to Driver.

Week 3: Det @ SF - L 37-10: Martz pulls out all the punches and O'Sullivan does what every former Lion does to them, lights them up.

Week 4: Bye - Woo Woo

Week 5: Det vs CHI - W 21-10- Chicago is just bad, Grossman starts the game and gets pulled in favor of the guy in section 121A.

Week 6: Det @ MIN - L 31-3: Jared Allen goes nuts with 4 sacks, those big name guys are not Marinellis style though. ADP and Chester run for 350 combined, I dont think the Vikes will have to throw a pass in this game. Roy says they left 30 points on the field.

Week 7: Det @ HOU - L 34-28 Lions in a shootout. Andre Johson rewards me once again for drafting him in my money league with 200 and 2. Roy says they left 14 points on the field.

Week 8 vs. WASH - W- A stopped clock is right twice a day too. The Lions win the first of back to back games.

Week 9: Det @ Chi - W 14-7: I am going to go homer here and say the Lions sweep the Bears. Rudi Johnson rumbles for 2 Tds.

Week 10: Det vs JAX - L-28-0. Jax shuts out the Lions. MJD and Freddy are taken out in the 2nd Q with 100 yards each.

Week 11: Det @ CAR - L 24-17- Carolina has too many weapons.

Week 12: Det vs TAM - W 24-14 I just hate Gruden and this may be wishful thinking. I just cannot type something nice about Gruden.

Week 13: Det vs. TEN L- Vince Young takes the next step in his career with a 300 yard game. Turkey day or not the Lions cannot beat Jeff FIsher.

Week 14: Det vs MIN L 31-17: AD and Chester are still running from the last meeting. ANother big day for both!

Week 15: Det @ Indy - L 41-10- NO WAY

Week 16 vs NO - L 24-21 Saints roll with a late game come back.

Week 17 Det @ GB - L-21-3 Lions have nothing to play for and they will never win a Lambeau no matter who the QB is!

4 wins and I gave them the TB game just because I hate Gruden with a passion. Millen and Marinelli still have their jobs for 2009. :-{

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RWLongy4 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:00 pm

Brian Calhoun surprises people by remaining healthy the entire year and actually becoming a servicable 1-2 punch along with K.Smith.

Wow, already got a prediction wrong before a game even got played :-b
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby moochman » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:25 am

I think the Lions will come close to matching Kitna's prediction of 10 wins...sadly that is counting the exhibition season. Lions go 6-10 and every coach or FO personale with an M in their name keeps their job as William Clay Ford hates fans and keeps Millen to spite us and his son. Spin machine spends most of second half and off season telling us that Martz was to blame.
Kitna-3,900 yds, 22 TDs and 22 INTs.
Roy-1,150 yds, 9 TDs.
Franchise-990 yds and 7 TDs.
K Smith-850 yds and 6 TDs.
Rudi-200yds and IR'd.

6 wins, 10 loses.

Same as it ever was.
Same as it ever was.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby dream_017 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:14 pm

I don't have the breakdown, but I am going to go with 8-8 O:-)
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby mutantseabass » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:13 pm

dream_017 wrote:I don't have the breakdown, but I am going to go with 8-8 O:-)

Sounds like you are having a breakdown calling for 8 wins! :-)

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigken117 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:33 pm

I got $20 to pay $120 on them winning the division.

Here's what they have...
the best QB in the division
the best WR in the division
the 2nd best WR in the division
and a run the ball philosophy

:-{
Jacoby Ellsbury - Official Red Sox prospect of the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
bigken117
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Eagle EyeBaseball Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Detroit Lions